Goodbye Jesus

Satanism, and the heartagram.

Sokudo Ningyou

Another typical day at the mediocre shithole I call a job. Workin' with one of the kids that I get along with fairly well -- we've figured out he's actually a deist -- and who likes mostly punk and hardcore metal. We, obviously, disagree on the subject a lot.

He stocked the cooler while the bosses were still around, which isn't something that happens very often. Usually, they've hauled ass home by seven. Thought nothing of it, since they stick around late sometimes, ostensibly to finish work, most likely because the wife is so fucking paranoid about the place she doesn't want to leave. If we bought her a cot, she'd sleep in the bloody back room and do her reports if she had insomnia.

I'm sitting up front, watching nothing going on, when I see her leave the office and stop the kid. Apparently, she's noticed his HIM sweatshirt.

Now, if you don't know who HIM is...needless to say, you're not missing much. In any event, they've got a particular brand they put on all of their merchandise whore shit; it's called a "heartagram," or at least that's what my ears hear, and it's technically just a pentagram with the two top triangles rounded off to make a heart. Looks like a pentagram at first glance, but on second, is obviously not with those cutesy rounded edges. So, you've got a Satanic symbol that's been changed into something cute. As it were.

So she's stopped him and they're talking. Apparently, it's over the shirt, which he's worn almost daily since he's gotten the thing, and it's been several months -- she's only noticed it now. This is common, this inability to notice the blinding obvious. She's asking him if it's Satanic, and she doesn't think he should be wearing it then. He says it isn't. She thinks it is, and then, apparently, because I'm athiest, I am now also the Queen of Satanic Symbols and she thinks she should ask me. Because I know more definitely than the boy wearing the damn thing. I tell her it isn't, technically; it's just a stupid band symbol.

She then drags her husband into it, who tells her he doesn't think it's Satanic either. Regardless, she ignores him -- she does that a lot, too -- and tells the boy he isn't to wear it anymore at work.

On top of this, he tells me after the fact that she badgered him on the possibility of him now being an athiest because he was wearing "a Satanic symbol" (head, meet desk. Hello, head, I'm the desk), and how his brother (who used to work with us, but is now in Arizona managing to pick fights with skinheads) wasn't an athiest. Just a nihilistic fascist who liked to burn things and bodily harm people, but that was fine, so long as he was a Christian. (Desk, we seem to be meeting quite a lot!) Apparently I was also mentioned, as my athiesm is one of those annoying topics that warrants much odd discussion and strange non-sequiturs -- like how PMS is "all our fault, thanks to the apple" -- and arguments over days off -- I can't wait until Christmas again and the fight that'll bring up.

In short:

MOTHER FUCKING HYPOCRITICAL WHORE BITCH!

My nephew wears a wrist-band with a heartagram on it. Personally, I think it looks stupid and makes him look like an over-emotional reactionary goth-wannabe, and told him as much when he asked my opinion, but being as it's not doing any real harm I see no reason to badger him about it.

Of course, his parents--mostly my brother, I suspect--are a different matter, and it's apparently been the cause of a lot of grief between them. They give it the same unmerited Satanic connotation your boss does. He still wears it, though, so I suppose he can at least claim that small victory.

Ah, the stupidity one must endure as an atheist living in western culture. :banghead:

Why is it that Christians can wear crosses, Bibles, praying hands, angels, etc. on jewelry at work, but no other religious group can? They should either nix the double-standard or ban it all, IMHO. :ugh:

Why is it that Christians can wear crosses, Bibles, praying hands, angels, etc. on jewelry at work, but no other religious group can?

For the same reason it's "persecution" not to allow them to display a 10 commandments monument in a federal courthouse or teach Christian Creationism in schools, but the idea of displaying a Koran or the Wiccan rede in the same location or teaching the Muslim or Mayan account of Creationism is never even considered.

They should either nix the double-standard or ban it all, IMHO.  :ugh:

Not bloody likely, I'm afraid, but I agree.

Why is it that Christians can wear crosses, Bibles, praying hands, angels, etc. on jewelry at work, but no other religious group can?  They should either nix the double-standard or ban it all, IMHO.  :ugh:

Ex-fucking-actly!!!! :thanks:

I have screamed this for a long time.

On a side note I find the Heartagram to be hysterical. It takes a Finnish band to do something like that. Alot worse things the kid could be listening to....

Ex-fucking-actly!!!!  :thanks:

I have screamed this for a long time.

On a side note I find the Heartagram to be hysterical. It takes a Finnish band to do something like that. Alot worse things the kid could be listening to....

Oh, trust me.....he does. :Hmm: Though I suppose my definition and his are two different things. And HIM is just....beh.

Why is it that Christians can wear crosses, Bibles, praying hands, angels, etc. on jewelry at work, but no other religious group can?  They should either nix the double-standard or ban it all, IMHO.  :ugh:

The day I put on a pentagram tie-tack will never be forgotten by those there. WOW! What a stir. I asked why Johnnie can wear a cross bigger than my lunch, but a piece of jewelry my wife made for me was objected to?

I eventually had to give in, but those who were around then still haven't forgotten.. this was like 1990 or so. I told them if I can't wear the tie-tack, then I ain't gonna wear a tie.

The day I put on a pentagram tie-tack will never be forgotten by those there.  WOW!  What a stir.  I asked why Johnnie can wear a cross bigger than my lunch, but a piece of jewelry my wife made for me was objected to?

I eventually had to give in, but those who were around then still haven't forgotten.. this was like 1990 or so.  I told them if I can't wear the tie-tack, then I ain't gonna wear a tie.

Where was this?