Goodbye Jesus

Good PBS documentary relating to fundies

Chad3232132

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the documentary titled "The Education of Shelby Knox" on the PBS series Point of View. It originally aired a few months ago and has been re-aired quite a few times since.

PBS seems to be the only network willing to have shows challenging the Christian Taliban these days, and this show was my favorite. It was about a high school girl named Shelby Knox who dared challenge that hardcore bastion of fundamentalism known as Lubbock, Texas, in pressuring the community and local school board to support sexual education in her high school (Lubbock's current sex-ed consists of just telling the students not to fuck till marraige... so of course the community has a teen pregnancy rate far higher than the national average), and again later she supports the formation of a gay student club at her school. The majority of people in her community, including her parents to some extent, did everything to make this girl's life hell and still she fought for what was right. Some of the people in this documentary will literally make you sick to your stomach- especially her pastor, who enjoys going to the gay hangouts in Lubbock to pick on and try to convert gay teens by preaching random lines from the bible.

Of course Shelby was bound to lose her fights, and lose she did. Still, it doesn't take away from the courage inspiration of her struggle to simply "do the right thing." Gradually over time, more and more people will challenge the status quo, and there will be more Shelby Knox's in places like Lubbock. And when that day happens the world will be a better place for it. This is easily one of the best documentaries I've seen in some time.

There are also other documentaries that air frequently relating to Christian fundies on the Point of View series, Independent Lens series, and NOW with David Brancacchio on PBS. I encourage anyone out there to check their listings and watch- before Bush fills PBS up with more of his right wing fundies to make the network more conservative that is.

I'm sorry I missed that, hopefully it will be on again.

That is a brave girl. I'll keep my eye on the PBS listings for this, thanks.

There are also other documentaries that air frequently relating to Christian fundies on the Point of View series, Independent Lens series, and NOW with David Brancacchio on PBS.  I encourage anyone out there to check their listings and watch- before Bush fills PBS up with more of his right wing fundies to make the network more conservative that is.

I saw the end of it the other day, and I'm equally surprised that it's still on the air. Bushites at PBS and their chief government sponsor, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting -- already taken over, have already forced Bill Moyers into retirement, and he had said as much during interviews around his departure. It's only a matter of time . . .

If the GOP strengthens their numbers in '06, you can expect the network (and NPR) to fold altogether. Most GOPers want it "off the federal dole" altogether.

I saw the end of it the other day, and I'm equally surprised that it's still on the air.  Bushites at PBS and their chief government sponsor, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting -- already taken over, have already forced Bill Moyers into retirement, and he had said as much during interviews around his departure.  It's only a matter of time . . .

If the GOP strengthens their numbers in '06, you can expect the network (and NPR) to fold altogether.  Most GOPers want it "off the federal dole" altogether.

The GOP won't strengthen its numbers in 2006. Their recruiting for candidates by Republicans has been almost as disasterous as its poll numbers.

In the immortal words of Fletcher Coal:

Fuckin' PBS.

:HaHa:

I saw the end of it the other day, and I'm equally surprised that it's still on the air.  Bushites at PBS and their chief government sponsor, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting -- already taken over, have already forced Bill Moyers into retirement, and he had said as much during interviews around his departure.  It's only a matter of time . . .

If the GOP strengthens their numbers in '06, you can expect the network (and NPR) to fold altogether.  Most GOPers want it "off the federal dole" altogether.

If they have so much as half a brain cell floating around in their collectively empty craniums, they'll realize they don't want to fuck with NPR.

Bad things will happen if they fuck with NPR.