Goodbye Jesus

Obnoxious Christian Youth

Wandering_Cookie

On facebook I have a few christian youths leftover from my mom's days of leading youth ministry overseas. One boy, seventeen, always full of himself, went to some big youth gathering in atlanta recently called Passion. A few days later he claimed he had a "divine instruction from God" I posted, resisting the urge to point out within a month he'd be back to his wanna be gangster image as all christian youth get excited post gathering while it's still cool, "wot?" After my comment was much appraisal from church members, my question ignored of course. Do they not stop to think, hmm, there were five thousand kids there, most of which are also claiming to hear from god to go do something...maybe we're just all wanting it to be true to feel special. And if it is real and awesome, why the need to make it look like a kanye west concert? Shouldn't god be awesome on his own? I don't know wjat annoys me more, the elderly that should know better by now, or the arrogant youth.

I remember those church camps...we always came away feeling great. "Mountain top" experiences were what the youth pastors at my church called them.

Cliques would disappear and friendships would blossom...then two weeks after we got home the popular girls would be teasing people about their hair and clothes and shunning anyone that wasn't just like them.

I think that did more to stop me from making normal friendships in high school than anything. I never ever trusted that someone wouldn't go back to (or suddenly become) my enemy at some point in the friendship.

Argh, just thinking about it infuriates me. :vent:

Thinking of my old youth group and those terrible kids... it literally makes me shake with rage sometimes. The worse part is the are completely ignorant to the pain they cause others, including me.

I have kept a friend from my days on a Christian site. I really had to bite my tongue when we were talking about my Grandmother who broke her wrist and hip (for anyone who remembers this she is tremendously better) and he said "Awesome! I've kept her in my prayers, glad to see it helped". The best I could muster to stay nice was a "funny" comment of "Yeah, and it didn't hurt that we told her if she didn't bust her butt she'd be stuck in the nursing home. XD"

From my days on my site I've learned that 1 out of every 5 Christian teens is convinced that they are a biblical scholar. 2 out of 5 look forward to those Halloween evangelizing houses because they get to "act" and "really get into the Lord's work to help people!".

I never went to a retreat, because the daily life of the "youth groupie" turned my stomach. The same kids that would sneer at me and mock me in school were all "Christ-like" when I was looking to join them on sunday - but monday, same shit.

The two-faced bullshit made me distrust youth groups entirely.

Yeah, I have had the misfortune into running into a few obnoxious Christian youth. Now, I know my personal observations do not represent the whole, but most of those who I have seen called into ministry have done some un-Christian things. For example, bullying, harassment, sexting, and general arrogance (all of which Yahweh does not approve). I'm tired of seeing it.

Mom drew the line at allowing me to go to these things.

Thanks, Mom!

P