Goodbye Jesus

Some Cool Religion Related Pictures.

Guest Valk0010

LMfao!!! Loooove the flow chat xD

Outstanding, I especially like the flowchart and the god troll.

Sorry, but I just have to say threads like this make me think I have no place here anymore. Especially the flow chart picture.

Sorry, but I just have to say threads like this make me think I have no place here anymore. Especially the flow chart picture.

Threads like this remind me why I love ex-christian.net and make it my first stop every morning! There are lots of threads for serious folks who favor serious discussions and lots of threads for us heathens who don't always take ourselves so seriously.

Thanks for the laffs, Valk. Especially the flow chart picture.

I liked your contribution too, JadedAthesist, especially the linky.

Ah, come on. It's amusing to see some of these expressions. Ideological mindsets are revealed through a movements political satire. What I found most amusing was this one:

good_enough.jpg

Just like many religions who wants to claim greats of history as their own, we see it happening right here. Only one of the bunch actually was or is an atheist at that is the picture of Richard Dawkins. All the others were either Deists, or Pantheists, or some other religious belief. And to include Richard Dawkins face in there with these others??? :lmao: That's just too damned funny!!

You see what I mean then how for some, please note the italics, for some, atheism is very much a religious ideology, promoted as the truth by the same means as what I saw in the literature of my great grandfather's religious community he lived in, showing how dumb, blind, silly, and lost everyone else is:

Scan366March232007.jpg

So, not to worry. To me things like the flowchart of what religion you should choose, comes off exactly like that political cartoon from Zion, Illinois about the other religions being so lost and silly. It amuses me to see this, and is a chance for me to have some fun with a new religion, chuckling at its promotional material, taking itself so seriously. :poke:

It's all in fun.... ;)

Edit: Oh yes, I remember why this picture of Dawkins with the actual greats of stood out to me as expressive of religious thought! Behold:

doubleyuk.jpg

:) It's all the same. You see here how the same historical greats are now believers? Now that's funny. Don't you think?

Antlerman, Richard Dawkins isn't in there. Top right is Carl Sagan.

Antlerman, Richard Dawkins isn't in there. Top right is Carl Sagan.

OK, my mistake. It was early, just having coffee. Sagan can stay up there. ;) Still though, not even Sagan can be claimed as an atheist as this self-promotional material does, any more than Thomas Jefferson or Albert Einstein can be. Sagan identified himself as an agnostic, and of atheists he said, "An atheist has to know a lot more than I know." So what I observed still holds true.

I just love how quickly certain groups wish to claim these greats as their own, and when looked at the reality of it is exposed. Christians claim the founding fathers as Christians, and now certain atheists claim them as atheists? What's that about? :shrug:

I just love how quickly certain groups wish to claim these greats as their own, and when looked at the reality of it is exposed. Christians claim the founding fathers as Christians, and now certain atheists claim them as atheists? What's that about? :shrug:

Yep, once a person identifies as part of a group, the hard work of reminding them what humility is starts all over again. Groups do not bring out the best in people but are useful for showing us who they really are :)

• Like 1

Ah, come on. It's amusing to see some of these expressions.

Antler, no, I don't think its funny. I can remember a time when it would have, but not anymore. It just strikes me as hateful - not all the pictures, but some of them. I can do without this kind of thing. That is just the way I see it.

Antler, no, I don't think its funny. I can remember a time when it would have, but not anymore. It just strikes me as hateful - not all the pictures, but some of them. I can do without this kind of thing. That is just the way I see it.

Hey, I was being ironic. The rest of what I said ought to have made that obvious to you. ;) Dry humor, that's what I do. It was my way of saying, "look who really is being the fool here". Sorry you misread that.

A few months ago, when I was feeling things more deeply, I experienced these sorts of things with tremendous pain. I have hardened up to a lot since, but I think in a way I was perceiving drive more in the raw back then...I was keener to motivations, and none of it was about love or kindness or lifting up living flesh human beings. While I don't feel rocked by it emotionally anymore, I can recognize it, intellectually. I get what you're saying.

Phanta

Yep, once a person identifies as part of a group, the hard work of reminding them what humility is starts all over again. Groups do not bring out the best in people but are useful for showing us who they really are :)

Wow Galien, that's pretty profound. The reality is when we identify ourselves via group membership, with that are all sorts of social/cultural expectations, and our egos become tied to that particular identification of the group. Because we aren't identifying ourselves free of that, then we compensate by making fun of or putting down those outside the group, saying things about how stupid they are, how lost they are, how blind they are, etc. I remember the exact same thing happening in the church I was in. Group membership, self-identity through group membership bolsters itself by putting others down to put themselves up. They do this because of a lack of mature egos, ones which are not yet beyond the group identification, yet feeling the angst of that lack of their own "true" identity, still yet afraid to truly be "free thinkers" and identify themselves free of that. All this is just another example of that exact same aspect of religious identity.

:)

Wow Galien, that's pretty profound. The reality is when we identify ourselves via group membership, with that are all sorts of social/cultural expectations, and our egos become tied to that particular identification of the group. Because we aren't identifying ourselves free of that, then we compensate by making fun of or putting down those outside the group, saying things about how stupid they are, how lost they are, how blind they are, etc. I remember the exact same thing happening in the church I was in. Group membership, self-identity through group membership bolsters itself by putting others down to put themselves up. They do this because of a lack of mature egos, ones which are not yet beyond the group identification, yet feeling the angst of that lack of their own "true" identity, still yet afraid to truly be "free thinkers" and identify themselves free of that. All this is just another example of that exact same aspect of religious identity.

:)

When I was five I stood in a playground and watched it happen for the very first time. Even then I could not understand how getting the group to like you by being an asshole and hurting other people was a good thing. Even though you had the approval of the group, you were still an asshole, and who wants to be one of those? Forty five years later and I still don't want to be an asshole, even if is costs me every "friend" I ever had.

"Yep, once a person identifies as part of a group, the hard work of reminding them what humility is starts all over again."

This has stayed with me since I read it a couple days ago. I was thinking about it in the shower, in the moments before sleep, and on my travels out the door this AM. I'm going to carry this wisdom forward with me. Thanks for that.

Regarding the bit about showing us who we really are...that brought up questions for me. I asked myself, "Do groups never bring out good in people?" "Are those of us who are not in groups not real?" "How do I know 'who they really are'?" "Is 'who they really are' what comes out in the group, or is my potential for having something emerge in a group a part of who I really am, even sans group? Or is my 'true self' something else entirely?"

Just some thoughts that you got me started on.

Cheers,

Phanta

"Yep, once a person identifies as part of a group, the hard work of reminding them what humility is starts all over again."

This has stayed with me since I read it a couple days ago. I was thinking about it in the shower, in the moments before sleep, and on my travels out the door this AM. I'm going to carry this wisdom forward with me. Thanks for that.

Regarding the bit about showing us who we really are...that brought up questions for me. I asked myself, "Do groups never bring out good in people?" "Are those of us who are not in groups not real?" "How do I know 'who they really are'?" "Is 'who they really are' what comes out in the group, or is my potential for having something emerge in a group a part of who I really am, even sans group? Or is my 'true self' something else entirely?"

Just some thoughts that you got me started on.

Cheers,

Phanta

Staying true to my true self has cost me dearly, but I cannot settle for anything less. I have been watching people my whole life, and particularly what groups do. As a child I was terribly poor, was often dirty and unkempt because of my mother's neglect and that made me a target. I am pretty nice person and always have been and I simply could not understand why people would be mean to me because of something I had no control over, even though I always treated them with respect. I was a strange child, and I used to ask kids that even as a five year old. In time they mostly left me alone because I was the one who called them to account for their behaviour in front of others. Naughty me. It occurred to me early that people don't often think about their own behaviour, particularly when whatever is going on in the herd carries them away. They see which way the wind is blowing and follow it, lest they be the next outcast. But what if the wind is blowing in a direction that goes against everything I am and everything I believe to be right and true? I cannot and will not follow, no matter the cost.

Looking back, in high school it was quite funny to think about the last time it happened, these boys a year older used to kick me over and spit on me and tell me I was the ugliest girl in the school and didn't deserve to live. One day something in me snapped and I stood up and said "who do you think you are treating me this way? What makes it okay for you to be abusers, what right do you have?" The whole playground in the area stopped and looked and the guys all looked at each other and I could tell that every single person was asking themselves those questions. They never touched me again after that. I don't think too many people ever ask those questions of themselves unless they have a reason to.

I think Phanta it depends why one is part of a group in the first place, and on the individual's personal integrity. I tell who a person really is by how they behave in a group when someone is being treated badly. Will they jump on the bandwagon for approval of the group (and especially the leaders) or will they stand up for what is right? I have seen so much injustice in everything I have ever been involved in, jobs, church, education. It seems to be the human way, but it isn't my way. I have always thought that living in the world would be so much easier for all of us if we just thought a little more about what our motives and agenda really are and confronted them head on. Oh well, a girl is allowed SOME fantasy :woohoo:

• Like 1

I think Phanta it depends why one is part of a group in the first place, and on the individual's personal integrity. I tell who a person really is by how they behave in a group when someone is being treated badly. Will they jump on the bandwagon for approval of the group (and especially the leaders) or will they stand up for what is right? I have seen so much injustice in everything I have ever been involved in, jobs, church, education. It seems to be the human way, but it isn't my way. I have always thought that living in the world would be so much easier for all of us if we just thought a little more about what our motives and agenda really are and confronted them head on.

This. Great thoughts overall!

You are a fish swimming upstream. I admire that.

Be well,

Phanta