Goodbye Jesus

George Carlin on Relgion

seeker

Yeah, that's an oldy but a goody.

He's not too good at statistics or probability though:

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

Just because something has two possible outcomes doesn't mean each outcome is equally likely. (Yeah, I know the thing's just a comedy bit, but it just bugs me.)

Yeah, that's an oldy but a goody.

He's not too good at statistics or probability though:

Just because something has two possible outcomes doesn't mean each outcome is equally likely.  (Yeah, I know the thing's just a comedy bit, but it just bugs me.)

I have a hunch that he wouldn't get the same laughs if he marched out the probabilities of each proposed "miracle" to the third decimal place. His "mission," it seems, is to preach the ridiculousness of religion to people who may or may not be proficient at long-division -- and to do this through humor. He has to speak "their" language, and I think he does a damn good job at it.

Of course, I don't know that for sure -- maybe somebody could do the figures for me . . .

I have a hunch that he wouldn't get the same laughs if he marched out the probabilities of each proposed "miracle" to the third decimal place. 

Bash apart strawmen much?

Good grief. Of course he wouldn't, and I never suggested that's what he ought to do. That is not how a competent comedian would edit that piece for accuracy. Probably best to leave out that paragraph completely, and replace it with something better, and different, rather than trying to fix it. It's likely unfixable.

In this area, comedy is not a good enough excuse for such blatant, obvious inaccuracy. If you're going to make fun of the vast majority of Americans' cherished beliefs in America, then you'd better have your shit together, or you risk being dismissed as an ignorant crank. You risk that anyway, even if you DO have your shit together. Well, that's how it is for me. YMMV.

That being said, I think the rest of the piece is pretty much bang on.

In this area, comedy is not a good enough excuse for such blatant, obvious inaccuracy.  If you're going to make fun of the vast majority of Americans' cherished beliefs in America, then you'd better have your shit together, or you risk being dismissed as an ignorant crank.  You risk that anyway, even if you DO have your shit together. Well, that's how it is for me.

Being a chronic Carlin fan (and he is already dismissed quite frequently as an old crank), I think only part of his tactic is mockery -- he does explain his ideas rather clearly, and in layman's terms, in an attempt to teach the cherished Christians who might happen upon his act. Sure, his figures are WAY off, but again, when your only critics are math enthusiasts on atheist websites . . . I don't think we're talking about a problem that's going to take a chunk out of most people who sit in his audiences. Most Americans believe in God, so that would most likely include most people who listen to George Carlin. Anyone that believes in God ALREADY has a problem with probability, and regardless of Carlin's accuracy, his math is already better than what they get at Mass.

He does a lot for our cause -- he's even helped rid me of a lot of bullshit ideas I had about the "afterlife" and shit. I don't think 100% accuracy is required . . . better math, yeah, maybe . . . but anything is better than worshipping Roman torture devices on Sunday.