Goodbye Jesus

Ex-muslims Speak Out For Reason

Citsonga

I wasn't sure which forum would be best suited for this, so I'll just stick it here.

Enjoy & spread it around.

Thanks for posting. It was excellent! I felt a sort of solidarity with the speakers as they explained their reasons for renouncing their former religion.

Thanks for this.

I think it's very interesting that some of the big reasons for the first speaker's deconversion from Islam are the same as mine from Xtianity.

There's a scholar who has done research on deconversion among Muslims. He has also compiled a book of ex-Muslim deconversion stories. I don't know his name off-hand but if anybody is interested I can retrieve the references. So is anybody interested?

There's a scholar who has done research on deconversion among Muslims. He has also compiled a book of ex-Muslim deconversion stories. I don't know his name off-hand but if anybody is interested I can retrieve the references. So is anybody interested?

Absolutely! I want to pick up Ayaan Hirsi Ali's "Infidel," and the book you mention would probably be a good companion to it.

Muslims risk much more by apostasy than we do. You have to admire their courage.

Muslims risk much more by apostasy than we do. You have to admire their courage.

Agreed

It really depends on where they are. Deconversion seems to be more common in heterogeneous regions on the edge of the Muslim world. For example, in India, Turkey, Lebanon, Malaysia, Indonesia, or among immigrant/ethnic communities in western countries. It's going to be less common if you're dead smack within the Islamic World, especially if the area is backwards and undeveloped (such as Yemen or Afghanistan). There are two reasons for this: 1. exposure to different cultures/beliefs; 2. less likely to get fucked with.

There are also a lot of Muslims who, like most Catholics (and many so-called Christians in America), are 'cultural' Muslims who don't take that shit very seriously. Again, it depends on the country. If there is proximity to the non-Muslim world, and if they aren't stuck in the 14th century (Yemen, Afghanistan, northwestern Pakistan, etc.), this trend towards secularization will be much more common.

There are probably a fair number of people deep within the Islamic world (let's say Saudi Arabia) who secretly think it's all bullshit but who wouldn't dare talk shit about it. There's no way of knowing their numbers.

VC lest these be my last words to you, let me say. I think you are an intelligent and creative cat.

VC is pretty spot on, IMHO. I know in Bosnia most Muslims are just cultural ones at that and if one declared apostasy there would be little to no backlash. If one converted to Christianity though, that would cause trouble. Not so much because it's a different religion but because it is the religion of the "enemy" (i.e. Serbs and Croats). Lebanon is a pretty tricky area as there are Muslim majority parts of the country and a friend of mine was a MK in Lebanon whose dad converted several Muslims and some of them just "disappeared" after warnings to revert back to Islam.

Thanks for the vid! Even though I knew it must have been happening all over the world, in all religions, I still needed to hear others denounce their faith

Cool vid.