Goodbye Jesus

Mindfulness Meditation

Phanta

Well, something very strange happened. As I focused on being conscious of each syllable and keeping my hand in check, my repetitions slowed significantly (I had to really pull back in order to keep my mind/fingers out of auto-pilot) and then I plunged into a hypnotic trance. I recognize the feeling from my work in self-hypnosis, but was surprised to have it arise spontaneously.

Have you ever gone into a hypnotic trance while meditating? I don't know what to make of it.

Phanta

wow.

I wonder if working with hypnosis previously made you more open to the experience. Back to those neural pathways again. When you were finished did you feel that it had been more beneficial to you?

Surely it made me more open. I certainly never spontaneously fell into a trance before.

Thing is, I am unsure if hypnotic trance is a common progression within meditation practice or rather something I'm injecting into the experience unconsciously. I was going for what Deva describes in her experience, which is really quite different.

I didn't fight the trance, but I'm not sure how to feel about it occurring in this context. I am also ambivalent regarding it being beneficial. I am going to observe what happens the next time I sit with my beads.

I will say that it occurred simultaneously precisely when I decided to pull my brain out of autopilot and be aware of each syllable before moving on to the next bead. Boy did I! The whole experience went on slo-mo. I would compare it to when I had gas at my wisdom teeth extraction.

Phanta

Would you two mind sharing your favorite mantras and what they mean? Or maybe a link to a good place. All I know is "OHM"...;)

Sure. :)

Here is the Green Tara mantra, "Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha". I like how it is sung here:

A Buddhist friend recommended the mantra to me. I have let go of the meaning he described, but I remember thinking that the concepts he spoke would be healing for my particular situation. I'm sure there are explanations on-line.

I also have sayings I repeat to myself from time to time in tough moments: "This is the only moment that is real," "Feelings are not facts," and "You are not your fucking khakis." :HaHa:

By the way, that song you posted the other day has been an important part of my healing work recently. It is helping facilitate expressing my grief and, though validating my own path, move closer to acceptance on some hard issues. I'm appreciative that you shared that.

Phanta

Would you two mind sharing your favorite mantras and what they mean? Or maybe a link to a good place. All I know is "OHM"...;)

Sure. :)

Here is the Green Tara mantra, "Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha". I like how it is sung here:

A Buddhist friend recommended the mantra to me. I have let go of the meaning he described, but I remember thinking that the concepts he spoke would be healing for my particular situation. I'm sure there are explanations on-line.

I also have sayings I repeat to myself from time to time in tough moments: "This is the only moment that is real," "Feelings are not facts," and "You are not your fucking khakis." :HaHa:

By the way, that song you posted the other day has been an important part of my healing work recently. It is helping facilitate expressing my grief and, though validating my own path, move closer to acceptance on some hard issues. I'm appreciative that you shared that.

Phanta

Thank you Phanta. I am glad you still like it.

When I sat down to post that day that Mraz song came around on my pandora station at the very same time. I have heard it a hundred times before, but right at that moment it seemed to express how I feel perfectly.

This Mantra is very pretty- Even after listening to her say it a million times though, I am not sure how to pronounce it. My ears aren't trained for Indian sounds, I guess. I am going to look it up.

Love the Khakis, by the way. You may not BE your fuckin' khakis....but you make em look GOOD GURL...lol! :HaHa:

• Like 1

I've been considering mindful meditation for its psychological benefits. I bet my wife could benefit. She's stressed out all the time (And I.. uuummm. have nothing to do with that at all... yeah. ;))

I have a couple questions for you, as someone who participates in meditation.

When you say "yet", I wonder if you have heard of this happening to others?

No, not really, I was thinking about my own sort of hypnotic states - which did not happen during the course of any planned meditation session and are very rare. I don't really dwell on special experiences - or I try not to. I have also had what I considered very significant dreams, but I try to let all that go.

It really doesn't do to dwell on the past. I believe that is a block.

The mantra doesn't always work and sometimes I forget to use the technique. It helps me when I am waiting for some possibly unpleasant event to happen. Instead of thinking about it obsessively, I just recite the mantra.

Pronunciation of the Tara mantra:

OM - Tara (Tara -the a as in "far"), Tuttare (Too-tar-eh), Ture (ture -the "e" sounds like the "A" as in the name "Amy") Svaha - (So-ha).

The "v" in Svaha is never pronounced. The "'va" together sounds like the word "oh".

Hope that helps.