Goodbye Jesus

"All prayers will be answered"...

Thurisaz

Hey gang,

something I thought about for quite some time now (and finally I remember it in time to open a thread for it):

We all know that nonsensical promise that gawd will answer all prayers. Whenever one doesn't get answered (read: always) fundies are quick to claim that this is because the praying believer didn't believe hard enough.

Now I wonder how often this believer might think that, if gawd doesn't answer, then he needs to be more zealous in his belief. Specifically, I wonder how often this might be the reason - or at least one reason - for people starting to persecute and harrass heathens, homosexuals and the like. How much of this obnoxious and typical fundie demeanor could be directly caused by the fear that one isn't zealous enough?

An inquiring Asatruar mind wants to know... :scratch:

I never thought of it that way, but I think you're right. Fundamentalism is empowered by the need of making sure they have the faith to get the prayer answered, and when they don't get answer, they become even more extreme. It makes sense.

What, no more answers?

Makes me wonder whether my point puzzles everybody, or whether it all has been answered a zillion times before and I didn't get it (Oh boy, did I post a PRATT? :blink:;) )...

Ah, so it's more selfish than they'll ever realize, they're projecting their insecurities onto the world?

That's why Ex-C's don't preach, they're more secure in who they are, unto themselves, doing for themselves, rather than trying to impress anyone else, including God and Jesus?

I believe that is the definition of a self-reinforcing delusion. It's like D.Paul in the other thread. There's no way to approach them because their view of the world is circular and self-reinforcing.

self-reinforcing delusion. I like that. yep.

It's one thing to not approach them... but then there's these others who keep approaching you. I could just bring a tape recording of a previous party to any party now and save my BIL from saying the same crap over and over again.

Seriously, I been thinking... Almost everything the alleged Jesus said in the Gospels was that you would get answers from God if you pray. As long as you believe strong enough, and are persistent. So why do we all of a sudden Christians claiming that God doesn't answer always? Was it Paul that said that? God will only answer according to his will? So are the Christians the Jesus version or the Paul version?

Btw, can someone answer me where the "you can't test God" excuse comes from? Is that Biblical?

Maybe I need to start a theological thread about that, because all I can remember about Jesus' teachings was that God will and want to answer your prayers. "Will a father give his son a rock, if he asks for bread?"

I think I understand your point, Thurisaz, and I agree.

Back in my former life, I was taught that the way to gain more faith is to pretend you already have it, and do things consistent with that. Pray like it's already happened, and give thanks. Witness to others, attend church, give generously, contribute your time, spend time every morning with god, even on the mornings you don't feel like it, and, yes, condemn sin everywhere you see it.

Do all of this, and increased faith will follow. God will recognize your sincerity and bestow greater blessings on you, i.e. more faith.

There is that bible verse - "to the one who has, even more will be given to him. To the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." (paraphrased)

So then, that becomes the obsession. Make sure you have it. Don't be the dude who has so little that God takes it away. And if you "don't have", then pretend you do. Keep up the image of a good soldier for christ.

It's a messed up way to live a life.

so it's the illusion in the illusion of the illusion. the ego looking the wrong way

Btw, can someone answer me where the "you can't test God" excuse comes from? Is that Biblical?
As far as I know, there is only one biblical instance where it says that it's okay to test God. It has something to do with tithing.

It pretty much says something to the effect of, "Give more to the church = get more from God" and to go ahead and try it in order to see what happens. (or something really close to that anyway)

I wonder how many lollipops fell for that one? :scratch: