Goodbye Jesus

Why Give God The Credit?

ireckinso

Why do Christians take credit for everything!

Today I left work for lunch and stopped at the gas station to pick up some cigarettes. I had noticed an old black firebird sitting at one of the pumps. There was a young woman sitting in the driver’s seat and an older man standing outside of the driver’s window talking to her. I went in the station and paid for my merchandise and exited the store. As I walked to my truck I noticed the young woman looking at me as the old man was looking at the front of the car. I could tell she was embarrassed about something and I asked the man if he needed any help. He said that the car would not start and he needed to move it so it wouldn’t be in the way of the pumps. The parking spaces available were uphill from the pumps and I could tell he knew he could not push it there by himself. So I helped him push the car up out of the way and he and his daughter were very polite and thanked me. I helped him investigate the problem and it turned out to be a loose wire on the starter. As I turned to walk to my truck the man said, “You are a good Christian for helping us.” I turned and told him that I was an Atheist. He then handed me a small pamphlet for a church and said then it was God who caused us to break down so that we may bring you into his fold. I was so angry I just left.

Why can’t a person just be nice and help someone without God getting the kudos?

How do these people always have a damn pamphlet in their shirt pockets to hand out?

Why do they think I would want to worship a god that caused my car to break down so that I can hand out a pamphlet and make me late for work?

Needed to vent!

What assholes. I hope you tore up the pamphlet or tossed it while they were watching.

I did drop it in the garbage can as I walked back to my truck, don't know if they were watching. It just amazes me how people want to push god onto others. Christians are great spin doctors, they can turn anything into Gods work.

• Super Moderator

I had similar experience with a xtian a couple of years ago. I bought something at the store and paid cash. The cashier gave me change as if I'd paid for it with a twenty but I had given her a ten. I gave her back the ten dollars. She thanked me, but then ruined it by adding, "What a good christian thing you did.." I smiled, told her I was an atheist, and walked out the door. She didn't say anything else to me, but as I was walking away, I could hear her and the next customer in line whispering. I'm sure we all could guess what they were saying.

WendyDoh.gif

Funny - my customers must be catching on to the way I have been talking and discussing 'god' lately because I had 2 things happen today to 'promote' God.

1. Someone brought me in a 3 page letter on atheism and the detriments of atheistic beliefs! :scratch:

2. I was told that my 'deep' questioning was part of my 'obsessive' personality! :shrug:

Hold on - I haven't even been diagnosed for this!!! :woohoo:

The nerve!! :vent: (although, I know I am a bit obsessive!) lol

Funny - my customers must be catching on to the way I have been talking and discussing 'god' lately because I had 2 things happen today.

1. Someone brought me in a 3 page letter on atheism and the detriments of atheistic beliefs! :scratch:

2. I was told that my 'deep' questioning was part of my 'obsessive' personality! :shrug:

Hold on - I haven't even been diagnosed for this!!! :woohoo:

The nerve!! :vent: (although, I know I am a bit obsessive!)

I think everyone is a little obsessive. I mean I get called obsessive because I wash dishes a lot (2-3 times a day) and keep my clothes organized by work/sport/casual in different sections in my closet. I think that I'm clean and organized.

As far as the letter on the detriments of atheistic beliefs, since it was a customer I probably would have not said anything but gritted my teeth and thought a few choice words. However my internal monologue seems to not work too well from time to time. :Doh:

I think you need to be prepared for the next time you do something nice and the fool responds with "You're such a good Christyun." I would have said something like "If I was a REAL Christian, I wouldn't have helped you push your car", or "Christians are so tight a REAL one would have kept the change."

I refuse to allow my good deeds to be turned against me for someone's shallow personal agenda.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I hate that! I held a door open for an old lady, and she said it was a good christian thing of me to do.

Then there is the time I went out of my way to help someone get their stuff to their car, because their bag ripped and the ladies stuff was at risk of being crushed by cars driving by. I made sure every little box of (forgot what it was, but there was a bunch of small boxes of stuff) got to her car. And was told, "I am a very good christian woman". I had really long hair.

Its just unbelieveable, they think that you can't do a good thing or be good unless you are christian. Or unless you are just lost, and are trying to find a way back to Jesus.

I'm a good heathen gay antireligious man.

• Super Moderator
"Christians are so tight a REAL one would have kept the change."

HA! After I got back in my car, I thought to myself I should have replied with "A christian would've stolen kept the change and chalked it up as a blessing from god." Too bad I didn't think of that when I was still in the store. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get another opportunity some day. Unfortunately.

Why do they think

They don't.

Once I was walking with a couple of Christian girls and they were talking about how one of them was being set up on a blind date by a friend and she said something along the lines of "I'm not worried about who she sets me up with. She's a good Christian girl."

Seriously?! As if Christians are the only ones with any morals. I didn't say anything but I really wish I had.

Its like the how some fundies boycott "Happy Holidays" advertising stores. They give zero recognition to the fact that almost all religions encourage kindness towards others and many have main holidays during winter.

That pisses me off. No matter what they say though, they just had an atheist do an honest good deed for them. That'll fuck with them in dark hours of doubt.