Goodbye Jesus

Narcissism

Reprobate

I know we have talked about self esteem and how many of us, who did not have alot of it to begin with, had it lowered further by our involvement with xtianity. I have another theory, Xtianity take people who are somewhat narcissistic and makes them even bigger narcissists. Now god is on their side. I know I met my share along the way.

I agree. It's funny because I can mostly stand the Jersey Shore type douchebag. The guy who's at the club with spray tan, and muscle shirt, who thinks he's the shit. At least I know where that guy is coming from.

The spiritual douchebag on the other hand, invokes a very strong negative emotional response from me. The hypocrisy just makes me want to hurl.

• Super Moderator

I agree. After all, you can't be more special (in your own mind) than being best buds with God. Reminds me of Dana Carvey's The Church Lady in the old Saturday Night Live skits. Isn't that SPE-CIAL?!

Yes I believe you are right. There seem to be two personalities that are effected the most, the narcissist and the compliant. The narcissist developes an unrealistic sense of superiority through his relationship with god, the compliant become the sheep of the narcissist. You can actually see this in a lot of christian relationships, where one member uses god as backup to control and abuse the other. Makes me sick!

I know we have talked about self esteem and how many of us, who did not have alot of it to begin with, had it lowered further by our involvement with xtianity. I have another theory, Xtianity take people who are somewhat narcissistic and makes them even bigger narcissists. Now god is on their side. I know I met my share along the way.

Maybe this has something to do with the xtian that has been stealing and will not assume any responsibility at all. She's a full-blown fundie and can do nothing wrong because god is with her, so her mind basically tricks her into actually believing that she's innocent. I've even caught her lying and she immediately changes the subject. In her mind she's done nothing wrong at all.

I guess I'm seeing how impossible it is for a person that far gone in the god delusion to be honest. It's worse than the denial a person has in drug addiction.

I agree. It's funny because I can mostly stand the Jersey Shore type douchebag. The guy who's at the club with spray tan, and muscle shirt, who thinks he's the shit. At least I know where that guy is coming from.

The spiritual douchebag on the other hand, invokes a very strong negative emotional response from me. The hypocrisy just makes me want to hurl.

I can't STAND the club douchebag anymore than I can stand the spiritual douchebag. I'm just over them generally. They are all the same douchbag with a different set :)

However the power of the spiritual douchebag over others is what makes him the scariest asshole on the face of the planet. That churches allow these walking egos to get into their organisations and damage people is a fucking disgrace.

My parents may have been useless on a good day, but at least they flogged any trace of douchebag out of me early. Thanks guys!

I agree completely. And then they are ruled by megalomaniacs. Even the bible says as much in the bible. You have sheep and you have "shepherds".

I believe that a lack of self esteem feeds the need, but the more a person grasps the whole concept, the more he seems to develop a narrcisistic attitude of self-worth. I have always believed that religion is a basic self-centered "me" way of life. I see it especially in those christians who believe that they are entitled to wealth and power because god wants them to succeed. They can even overlook and/or justify those whom they might hurt in obtaining those things. Many of us have experienced their condecending attitudes, I imagine.

My father is a clinical narcissist - and I can guarantee that Christianity only fed that side of him...it gave him an even higher authority to control and exert dominion over his little world, even giving him the "right" to do it however he so pleased...and forced my mother to conform, or she was disobeying "god." Not a good combination.

5 minutes on TBN is all you need to show how true this thread is.