Goodbye Jesus

Religious People Reproduce At A Faster Rate.

MagickMonkey

We need to get busy and start cranking out some kids to counteract this:

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-religiosity-gene-dominate-society.html

Well alright...*assuming the position*

oh wait...HELL NO I have more offspring than I can handle already.

Well alright...*assuming the position*

oh wait...HELL NO I have more offspring than I can handle already.

Damn, almost.

Well, of course they do; their religion pretty much demands that they pop out babies. I don't really give this article much credence because the actual "gene" for religiosity has not be located and thus not verified. Religion pretty much relies on scare tactics in order to get people into the fold, so, in my estimation, is the most deciding factor on whether or not a person joins or spreads said religion (and not some gene).

Well, of course they do; their religion pretty much demands that they pop out babies. I don't really give this article much credence because the actual "gene" for religiosity has not be located and thus not verified. Religion pretty much relies on scare tactics in order to get people into the fold, so, in my estimation, is the most deciding factor on whether or not a person joins or spreads said religion (and not some gene).

Well, I doubt there is a single gene for a single factor that makes people more susceptible to being religious, but certainly there are various genes for various factors that do.

Scientists are finding that religious beliefs are biologically innate in human beings. There is a natural tendency towards paranoia in humans that helps us survive, but also causes irrational fear of the unknown, like death.

But remember, believers kids have at least a 50% leaving rate so I think it evens out on its own

But remember, believers kids have at least a 50% leaving rate so I think it evens out on its own

This. We all had xtian parents now didn't we?

Plus there's no guarantee your kids will stay atheist or agnostic.

I don't believe there is a religion gene. We, humans, are learning. We're learning at all kinds of levels: somatically, mentally, culturally, etc. It wasn't all that long ago when we were chucking spears at mastodons and weaving baskets from reeds.

I don't believe there is a religion gene. We, humans, are learning. We're learning at all kinds of levels: somatically, mentally, culturally, etc. It wasn't all that long ago when we were chucking spears at mastodons and weaving baskets from reeds.

Much of how we act is due to cultural influences, personal experiences, etc. Still, it's wrong to think genetics play no part in our behavior.

I am not suggesting that genetics plays no role in our behavior. But if we are predisposed to inferential faux pas then I think it's only because we are relatively new to the cognitive game.

but also causes irrational fear of the unknown, like death.

I wouldn't call the fear of death "irrational." Reactions to it have been irrational, but not the fear itself.

Humans love being frightened--and that's no speculation--but I think that ever since we started to form societies that protected us, we have a need to keep that sense of fear alive. Having an easily stimulated amygdala is highly beneficial in the wild because it keeps a species from falling into the jaws of pray too often, but when you take that animal (humans) out of the wild, they get uncomfortable without the constant threat of death surrounding them. That is just my theory.

Really? I cannot believe that any of you missed this irrefutable piece of evidence

Maybe it should be the case that religious people don't have children at all - if you believe that God sends people to hell, surely you shouldn't have kids even if there were less than a 1% chance that this would happen? A reverse Pascal's wager if you like....

• Like 1

Maybe it should be the case that religious people don't have children at all - if you believe that God sends people to hell, surely you shouldn't have kids even if there were less than a 1% chance that this would happen? A reverse Pascal's wager if you like....

Well, there's a possibility that your kid might grow up to save two or three other people. don't abort potential evangelist! (smoked hashish tonight. Wheeeeeee!)

Here'n'There, that video is hilarious. I've seen it before, and I love it. Anyone seen the movie, Idiocracy? It's pretty mediocre, and its story focuses on social/ economic problems, not religion in particular. Basically, all the people who watch Jerry Springer crank out kids like crazy, and all the people with graduate degrees have 1 or 2 kids in their 30s. This makes the gene pool (in America, at least) evolving toward stupid, basically. In my opinion, this is actually happening.

Here'n'There, that video is hilarious. I've seen it before, and I love it. Anyone seen the movie, Idiocracy? It's pretty mediocre, and its story focuses on social/ economic problems, not religion in particular. Basically, all the people who watch Jerry Springer crank out kids like crazy, and all the people with graduate degrees have 1 or 2 kids in their 30s. This makes the gene pool (in America, at least) evolving toward stupid, basically. In my opinion, this is actually happening.

I definitely agree.

Not attempting to drag this thread into the realm of politics here, but I think another contributing factor to that is the abuse of welfare that's running rampant in American society. A good portion of people on welfare are just too lazy or stupid to go out and get a job and their solution is to have more kids because that means a bigger government check, thus we have that many more stupid lazy asses. Not to say that all people that come from that kind of background wind up being stupid and/or lazy, but I'd bet the majority do as they share the same genetics that their parent(s) had.

Just my two cents.

but I'd bet the majority do as they share the same genetics that their parent(s) had.

Genetic reductionism. And there's been plenty of dumbshits who went off to Harvard and Yale because of who their daddy was.

• 2 weeks later...
but also causes irrational fear of the unknown, like death.

I wouldn't call the fear of death "irrational." Reactions to it have been irrational, but not the fear itself.

True, my point was more that we will accept irrational things like heaven and hell because of the fear. I didn't communicate very clearly though :fun:

Humans love being frightened--and that's no speculation--but I think that ever since we started to form societies that protected us, we have a need to keep that sense of fear alive. Having an easily stimulated amygdala is highly beneficial in the wild because it keeps a species from falling into the jaws of pray too often, but when you take that animal (humans) out of the wild, they get uncomfortable without the constant threat of death surrounding them. That is just my theory.

What i was saying, but 1 million times better :)