Goodbye Jesus

Church Politics

stryper

I posted a status a few days ago stating my Brother-in-law failed his "interview" for ordination into the Methodist church as a pastor. At the time I was both happy and sad for him. Happy because I hoped he'd see its all bullshit. Sad because it has been his life goal forever and he worked for 3yrs to get a Masters in Divninty.

So I talked to my sister about it the other day. He had to write a 60 page thesis explaining his theological stance. Three panels of three to four people each had 30 minutes to "interview" him. Which is a misnomer becuase it was really more of an oral exam or thesis defence. They then voted and 75% had to yea him in.

There was one interviewer who was the Theological guy. All of his questions were " you said X in your paper. I disagree with that. How do you justify your stance?" so hostile interviewer to start. Then there is the strong suspicion that there was some moving goal posts in there too.

See he worked for the confernce in a technical capacity for a few years doing their computer tech work. So he knows or at least has had contact with many of the people on the ordination board. He does what he is suppose to do and then they seemed to change the criteria after the work was done and didn't bother to tell him till he was in the interveiw, and the only reason we can see, is because he knew the people going in. Yeah that's fair.

When they informed the church congregation where he had been pastoring while in school, my sister stated people were so pissed at the board memebers they were crying and she said one guy was shaking he was so pissed off about it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter the works that you've done, the lives you've touch or any of you know the important shit. It just matters if you can play the game and tow the party line with little variation in opinion.

Since I have a better understanding of how they basically fucked him....I have even less interest in the church then I did before. The one person that I know who would've done the job well and deserved it, doesn't get it because of some stupid ass bullshit is just too much. But I know he'll be back next year to try again. Afterall its all a test of faith. :banghead:

Sorry to hear that about your brother, hopefully it either helps him grow past and see church for what it is. Literally, every single church I have ever attended had a controversy surrounding the church leadership. Corruption, financial crimes, sexual affairs, forcing people out, rumors, destroying reputations, ruining families, firing people on the spot in every single one. Some of the worst behavior I have ever seen has been by Pastors, Deacons, Elders, church leaders etc... Church leaders have more in common with hormonally driven junior high kids than any mature adults.

Why is he stuck on the Methodist church? Maybe he should try to start a non-denominational church. That way he can fill the boards with people who know him and can work with him.

• Super Moderator

It's a sign from God to get the fuck away from the parasites of religion and find honest work.

Sorry to hear that about your brother, hopefully it either helps him grow past and see church for what it is. Literally, every single church I have ever attended had a controversy surrounding the church leadership. Corruption, financial crimes, sexual affairs, forcing people out, rumors, destroying reputations, ruining families, firing people on the spot in every single one. Some of the worst behavior I have ever seen has been by Pastors, Deacons, Elders, church leaders etc... Church leaders have more in common with hormonally driven junior high kids than any mature adults.

Can't argue much with that Josh. Watched a Methodist church force the confernce to move a pastor before his term, or whatever its called, was up because the pastor and his wife were getting a divorce and the layity were on the wife's side.

My father got chased out of a Methodist church when it was revealed in the congregation that he was getting a divorce because he had an affair with a church member. Though i have no proof I think either the pastor's wife or someone close to pastor was behind it.

Both of these were despite the fact that divorce is not heretical in the Methodist chruch.

Why is he stuck on the Methodist church? Maybe he should try to start a non-denominational church. That way he can fill the boards with people who know him and can work with him.

Tradition. He grew up in the Methodist church. I also think starting his own would cause a severing of many friendships that he would be un-willing to lose.

It's a sign from God to get the fuck away from the parasites of religion and find honest work.

The irony is he left an honest computer tech company which he was part owner to persue it. :banghead: But people want what they want. As I am sure you are well aware.

The irony is he left an honest computer tech company which he was part owner to persue it. :banghead:

Good lord! :eek: Having a delusion is one thing. Seriously acting on it is another!