Goodbye Jesus

I'm Someone Who Make This World A Worse Place....

Suzy

It's funny how people react when they learn I'm an atheist. In the last couple of days I had this experience twice on two different forums. These are not forums about religion but about other interests of mine but somehow on both places religion came up for discussion in the past days. And when I tell them I'm an atheist there are always some religious nuts for whom I'm the scum of the Earth for it! This is what I got today from a Catholic:

"People like you really make the world a worse place…"

:HaHa:

This only for saying I don't believe in God! I wasn't even very critical of religion because I didn't want to start a fight and that forum is not really a place for discussion like this.

It's kind of funny....

Unfortunately there are many atheists who give atheism a bad name. And honestly, I am beginning to think that atheists in general deserve it.

• Like 1

The word "atheist" carries a freightload of assumptions with it. If I were you, Suzy, I would think carefully about who I would reveal this information to, especially if you care in the least what other people think.

Unfortunately there are many atheists who give atheism a bad name. And honestly, I am beginning to think that atheists in general deserve it.

I couldn't disagree more, Legion.

And, Suzy, perhaps you do make the world a worse place for people like your antagonistic commenter, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you. It's not your fault that just knowing others don't share her belief bothers her.

I couldn't disagree more, Legion.

And, Suzy, perhaps you do make the world a worse place for people like your antagonistic commenter, but I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you. It's not your fault that just knowing others don't share her belief bothers her.

No, it doesn't bother me. I'd rather find it funny how hard some people find it to tolerate that someone might not believe in their god. It wasn't like I attacked religion, it was just that I said I don't believe in God and that not everybody believes in him. And all of a sudden I was the scum of the Earth. LOL.

I don't know if atheists give atheism a bad name, but this person made pretty much a fool of herself with her religious zeal.....

This is what I got today from a Catholic: "People like you really make the world a worse place…"

So...in what category does this person put a pedophile priest?

• Like 1

Unfortunetely,'fundamentalists' from religion and non religion both, have ruined a lot of things for us, who just want to have our own opinions and beliefs.:shrug: That is why we get attacked. Somebody has listened to somebody else with thier STRONG opinions.

• Like 1

Aw, shucks, Lege. Is Valentines getting you all mushy again?

This is what I got today from a Catholic:

"People like you really make the world a worse place…"

What do you know, the feeling is mutual.

Phanta

• Super Moderator

You're too smart to buy into theist propaganda. Puhleeze!

• Like 1

Fundies of any ilk are usually assholes. This is what we all SHOULD believe and this is why. YAWN :Wendywhatever:

• Like 1

Fair enough, I stand guilty of generalizing.

But I do think the four horsemen and those atheist that follow them are misguided.

I have read Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens, etc. and found almost nothing objectionable at all in their writings. Every time I see an objection to any of them, it is a statement wrenched from context that appears quite reasonable in context.

• Like 3

I have read Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens, etc. and found almost nothing objectionable at all in their writings. Every time I see an objection to any of them, it is a statement wrenched from context that appears quite reasonable in context.

My Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

My Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

So haven't you just switched the bitch for the witch?

Well my main beef is that the four horsemen are basically mechanists and the masses of religious believers are basically vitalists. And the fight between them strikes me as a fight between equally ignorant opponents. I don't believe that mechanism and vitalism are our only choices for viewing living systems.

Equally ignorant? Not even close.

• Like 1

Well my main beef is that the four horsemen are basically mechanists and the masses of religious believers are basically vitalists. And the fight between them strikes me as a fight between equally ignorant opponents. I don't believe that mechanism and vitalism are our only choices for viewing living systems.

So what are the other choices?

I guess I dont understand why people cannot just think for themselves. I can't see much difference between matthew. mark, luke and john and Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens. They are still all someone else's ideas. Is it that one has to hitch one's cart to those judged credible by the new group (athiests)? I really can't see any difference.

So what are the other choices?

There is apparently at least one other choice which some call complexity. But there are many proposed definitions of complexity at the moment. I am coming to think of it as natural paradox. The four horsemen would likely deny that true paradox exists in nature and that any paradoxes we think we see are a result of misunderstanding.

Guest Valk0010

I guess I dont understand why people cannot just think for themselves. I can't see much difference between matthew. mark, luke and john and Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens. They are still all someone else's ideas. Is it that one has to hitch one's cart to those judged credible by the new group (athiests)? I really can't see any difference.

There is a difference between parroting and agreeing.

I have never met an atheist IRL that was not a decent person, although I've only known less than 10, so that's a small sample size. In fact, two of the nicest people I knew when I was a Christian were atheists, which frustrated me.

Respectfully,

Franciscan Monkey

So does that mean christians parrot and athiests agree???:wicked:

Guest Valk0010

No actually it happens with both.

No actually it happens with both.

No shit sherlock :woohoo: When I went to vote for the site I read some of the stuff on that site, and now I get why people are so enamoured with what seems to me to be very little different from what I came out of. Guess I'm just not a joiner :)