Goodbye Jesus

Bat-shit Crazy Wiccans

SleeplessGhost

My wife has a Wiccan friend who is constantly complaining about being attacked psychically by her "ex-boyfriend." She has even gone as far as accusing him of using magick against her. This boyfriend is not a witch.

On top of this she constantly seems to only be able to talk about religion, and I honestly think she might need to see a shrink. For example, she had not slept in over 24 hours and had quit caffeine. This is when she accused her ex of attacking her psychically because she had a headache. She wouldn't take my wife's advice that she probably just needed sleep and since she had quit drinking any kind of caffeine she would have a headache. Her ex is not a witch, and thought she was crazy. I have to agree.

When the first thing your mind jumps to whenever you have a problem is "ZOMG I haz hedache, it muzt be curzez" I will just assume you are a crazy person. Other than my wife and I, I do not know ANY pagans that are not like that. If you are like my wife's friend, please, stay in the broom closet and do all Wiccans a favor.

SO I will end this rant with a simple thought and a question. You may be the only Wiccan/pagan someone knows, so you need to be a good ambassador of the religion. DO you all agree, or am I totally off base?

• Like 1

Ooooh, pumpkin, the stories I could tell about the loony-ass pagans I met in my stint as the chair of a pagan student society in college. :ugh:

One guy told me he was over 1000 years old (not due to reincarnation, THIS incarnation) and from a distant planet, and a vampire, come to tell us puny earthings the true art of the katana, which he carried with him.

Another showed up in grease paint and a cape fashioned out of a black dress shirt.

One of my own friends showed up at my door at 3am-ish to tell me that she was Jesus (granted, I believe this was mostly adderal/sleep deprivation psychosis).

People are crazy. Doesn't matter what flavor of delusion they come up with (CIA mind-probes, demons, curses, et al), they will be crazy.

• Like 1

One guy told me he was over 1000 years old (not due to reincarnation, THIS incarnation) and from a distant planet, and a vampire, come to tell us puny earthings the true art of the katana, which he carried with him.

A sword wielding 1,000 year old alien and vampire? That sounds like the premise for an Ed Wood movie. I've noticed occult groups, particularly anything associated with witchcraft or satanism, tend to attract the strangest element of the role playing crowd. The types who take role playing so seriously, they need to be placed on suicide watch if they botch a roll of the ten sided dice. I met a pagan couple once who were teaching a Reiki class. Both were chain smokers. They told me they could smoke with no fear because they knew how to cure cancer and had done so several times. They were also self professed extraterrestrials.

A sword wielding 1,000 year old alien and vampire?
\\

gotta do it...

My wife has a Wiccan friend who is constantly complaining about being attacked psychically by her "ex-boyfriend." She has even gone as far as accusing him of using magick against her. This boyfriend is not a witch.

On top of this she constantly seems to only be able to talk about religion, and I honestly think she might need to see a shrink. For example, she had not slept in over 24 hours and had quit caffeine. This is when she accused her ex of attacking her psychically because she had a headache. She wouldn't take my wife's advice that she probably just needed sleep and since she had quit drinking any kind of caffeine she would have a headache. Her ex is not a witch, and thought she was crazy. I have to agree.

When the first thing your mind jumps to whenever you have a problem is "ZOMG I haz hedache, it muzt be curzez" I will just assume you are a crazy person. Other than my wife and I, I do not know ANY pagans that are not like that. If you are like my wife's friend, please, stay in the broom closet and do all Wiccans a favor.

SO I will end this rant with a simple thought and a question. You may be the only Wiccan/pagan someone knows, so you need to be a good ambassador of the religion. DO you all agree, or am I totally off base?

Perhaps if you offered a hat made of aluminum and a slice of pizza and say it is blessed for protection.

\\

gotta do it...

:funny:

Wow... I'm glad I am not the only one.

I've met good and bad examples of the Wiccan faith but only online. It sucks that with all the bad stereotypes that people already label it with, there are morons (or fluffy bunnies, as I've heard them called) who only make it worse.

For the record, I'm not Wiccan, but since all Wiccans/pagans/Afro-diasporic religions tend to get lumped together, I try to speak for them. Also, that whole chairing the pagan society thingy. And my voracious study of all world religions, "traditional" and wacky.

With ANY belief, club, gathering, culture, subculture, you name it, you will get wackos. It's how the Universe keeps a sense of humor.

In a fit of extreme low self-esteem, and a gesture to be "open-minded", I welcomed and dated a guy who seriously worshiped the deities from Dungeons and Dragons. I shit you not. There were other reasons why he was insane, but that little bit sure didn't help. He didn't call himself Wiccan, but he did say he was pagan.

In any case, I try my best to be a good face on the pagan/Vodou community. I don't kill cats, I dress (mostly) normal, I don't demand that I be called by a "magickal name", and if I thought every headache was a curse, I'd be one cursed bitch (chronic migraines here).

I try to show that people of "alternative" religions are just regular(ish) people. We pay taxes, we love our families (blood and chosen), and we have a lot of the same problems as anyone else, or any other minority, depending on the location.

Don't let one weirdo get you down. She's just crazy. There are many more in our diverse and wide community that would come to the exact same conclusion.

\\

gotta do it...

damn it Rev beat be to it.

:58:

so i'll leave this here

Used to be one of those bat-shit crazy pagans. Mind control, astral combat, curses, non-human identification. It was such an ego trip.

She would have fit right in with my old Pentecostal spiritual warfare platoon. I'm not kidding. This is pretty similar shit. The only difference, aside from the belief that the unsaved are going to hell forever, is that a Wiccan isn't going to be a Vice Presidential candidate any time soon.

Used to be one of those bat-shit crazy pagans. Mind control, astral combat, curses, non-human identification. It was such an ego trip.

You would have, too! :HaHa:

Of course, I am also incriminating myself here.

I guess as a non-spiritual person, I don't see the real difference between "crazy" beliefs like worshiping D&D deities and believing that other people are using magick against you, and worshiping any kind of deities and believing that any kind of magick works ever at all. I differentiate between assholes and non-assholes, obsessives and non-obsessives, and I think it's good to represent yourself and your beliefs as leading to not being an asshole, but I don't think that's necessarily tied to believing in D&D gods vs. believing in ancient pagan gods.

You would have, too! :HaHa:

Of course, I am also incriminating myself here.

For some reason I dropped the pagan and kept the bat shit crazy...go figure.

\\

gotta do it...

damn it Rev beat be to it.

:58:

so i'll leave this here

Queen are really one of the best bands ever!! Brings back so many memories these videos...but geez Flash has the worst special effects I have ever seen. Great music though ;)

You may be the only Wiccan/pagan someone knows, so you need to be a good ambassador of the religion. DO you all agree, or am I totally off base?

For the most part I do. I think those outside the Craft should ideally have balanced expectations, and realize that we are human, and will sometimes make mistakes. Unfortunately, there are fruitcakes in every religion or spiritual path. And they're usually louder than the sane practitioners.

People like this are the reason why God invented tin foil hats.

I know that there are crazies in every religion, but it doesn't help that I have only personally known only other crazy Wiccans. I do not count the internet forums I go to in this because you can be whoever you want online. I'll just give you a rundown of the local pagans I know to let you see how bad it is that I have seen.

Jen- As mentioned above. Also believes she is a literal werewolf.

Greg- Thinks he is all powerful, has two children he has not seen in months that he doesn't pay child support to. Cannot keep a job and leaches off of everyone around him.

Lee- Again, megalomania. Has given up parental rights to one of his children and has not seen the other in eight years.

Nikita- Thinks she is a literal werewolf and when her ex-boyfriend cheated on her she blamed it on his ex-wife using magic to mindcontrol him. She has had sex with her then two year old in the room with her and cannot join the coast guard because she can't pass basic psych tests.

Katie- Megalomania. Thought she was a high priestess and that "they" were coming to get her and takes most of her magical beliefs from T.V. She lived in filth and eventually had her kids taken away because of it.

Rev Rod- I saved the best for last, although I knew him the least. He led a local coven I found on Witchvox(Every few years I try to find a local coven) the first sabbat we went to turned out great, although our six month old screamed most of the time. The second one we went to he showed up drunk and high on painkillers.

Sometimes I just want to scream. I honestly do. THESE people are the ones people see and think of when I tell them I'm Wiccan. I suppose it is like when you hear about an abortion bomber, except that no one I have read would condone what these people do to the pagan community.

[in the interest of full disclosure, I posted this same rant on a Wicca forum I frequent.]

In a fit of extreme low self-esteem, and a gesture to be "open-minded", I welcomed and dated a guy who seriously worshiped the deities from Dungeons and Dragons. I shit you not. There were other reasons why he was insane, but that little bit sure didn't help. He didn't call himself Wiccan, but he did say he was pagan.

If you are going to worship game created deities, you might as well worship one the kicks some serious ass like Xuchilbara. As much as I love him, I still get dreams where he is trying to kill me.

SG, ouch, it does suck that you are surrounded by such nuts for Wiccans. I've known a few people like that myself, both pagan and christian.

Believe me, I know the frustration. It was a sad day when I realized the sanest people who showed up to the pagan group were a Taoist and an agnostic. Here I was, trying to be a good example for pagans, and I had to wrangle alien vampires and one guy who wasn't even pagan at all, just showed up to talk about fisting because "pagan chicks are kinky."

I hope the Vodouisants I plan on hanging with are better, but there is still a chance of crazies. At least the Mambo is an awesome lady. Every encounter I've had with her has been positive.

Rev Rod- I saved the best for last, although I knew him the least. He led a local coven I found on Witchvox(Every few years I try to find a local coven) the first sabbat we went to turned out great, although our six month old screamed most of the time. The second one we went to he showed up drunk and high on painkillers.

well at least he had a good name.