Goodbye Jesus

Hallelujah!

All Gods Fail

I've been an agnostic for years, recently turned atheist following my de-conversion. I've read skeptical publications, refuted creationism, etc. But there's always been a little nagging voice in the back of my head telling me "Maybe you never really understood - you can't be sure it's not true."

Well, I can now. With no hesitation.

I've only been here for a few weeks, but this site has done me a world of good. Between the arguments, ex-imonies, debates and links, I have a much greater understanding of why it's all so wrong.

I've studied on my own, but never really looked deeply into advanced arguments and reasoning concerning the origins of the bible; comparative discussions of earlier 'pagan' religions, the subtler inconsistencies of the scriptures (particularly between the OT and NT), the ever-evolving nature of biblegod, etc.

The result - I'm happy to say I'm more heretical than ever! And the best part is, I understand much better why the gospel, Jesus, Yahweh, Paul, etc. is BS. The bible is fiction, and only worthy of study in exactly the same way the Illiad is.

As ancient fiction, and no more than that.

Believers, I urge you to seriously challenge your beliefs. Read up on some of the links posted here concerning the origins of the gospel. Read the history of scriptures. Find out, if you're at all bothered by inconsistencies or church dogma. You may be believing a false god.

The truth shall set you free! :notworthy:

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Congratulations. It is so freeing to admit isn't it?

*watches the chains fall* Hoot!

AGF,

Congratulations! The Truth will set you Free indeed. :woohoo:

Excellent! Good for you, AGF! It's a great feeling, isn't it? To definitively KNOW the answers and not just FEEL that things are wrong? Very liberating and secure.

AND the Magical Truth Serum will give you a clear complexion and a thinner waist!

$19.95 S&H

1-800-ATHEIST

AND the Magical Truth Serum will give you a clear complexion and a thinner waist!

$19.95 S&H

1-800-ATHEIST

Holy crap! I'll take two! :twitch:

I think the adage 'blasphemy is enlightenment' is at work here.

Glad to see you have found your own way B)

'The more you perceive, the less you believe.'

'The more you see, the less you know.' - U2

Glad to see you're feeling more confidant and comfortable with yourself and your beliefs, AGF. It's a wonderful thing to have. Treasure it!

Merlin

WTG!

I never set out to disprove Christianity, that was a side-effect, an unfortunate side-effect. I had great awe for that which I didn't know much about. I learned more since April 2004 than I ever thought I want to know.

I was shocked to learn all the bs in the OT, too. For whether an NT or OT person would try to convince me of things, I Had nothing but my own feelings, hearsay and discussions with other people to go by.

The last 18 months have filled in so many blanks, replaced so many assumptions, and answered so many questions I didn't even know I had, that I not only feel more free from the dogma, I can now hold my own discussing misconceptions with other glassy eyed people.

It's one thing to disbelieve something, entirely another to know WHY you do.

Congrats, AGF.

I think that for a lot of us, it was the desire to learn and the searching for the truth™ that set us free from superstitious belief.

The internet is a wonderful tool for those with inquisitive minds, isn't it?

The truth shall set you free! :notworthy:

Actually God just sent you a strong delusion so that you would believe lies. That's how much he loves you :twitch:

Actually God just sent you a srong delusion so that you would believe lies.  That's how much he loves you  :twitch:

I always hear George Carlin's voice "But he Loves you"

Yeah George Carlin cracks me up when he gets on one of his religion tangents....

All:

I gotta admit, having the last traces of doubt removed is a relief. I mean, I knew it was all bullshit for many years, but finding out the truth about the history of the bible really clinched.

Now I understand exactly why it's bullshit. Not just the impossible crap like talking snakes and angels getting hit on by the Sodomites, but the nitty gritty stuff, like the Pauline/Jesus discrepancies, Q/canon problems, and all the like.

Talk about scales falling from your eyes... :rolleyes:

That's wonderful to hear :D *hands you a Bible and a box of matches* Use them wisely, grasshopper...

Talk about scales falling from your eyes... :rolleyes:

That's the irony that struck me most as I deconverted, finding the scales fall from my eyes and finally acheiving a sense of freedom and peace. These were promised to me as a believer, but it took unbelief for the promises to be fulfilled.