Goodbye Jesus

Sad For My Son

disEnchanted

My son's (very religious) college roommate just informed him that he could no longer room with him due to religious reasons. All of a sudden he's decided that he can't be "yoked to unbelievers." They've been best friends for about 3 years and my son has always told me that the two of them have very open and honest discussions about religion but have always been able to maintain their friendship because they accept one another for who they are.

The two of them, plus another student are the center of a big group of friends. This issue is causing a rift amongst all of them and my son is feeling left out because they are all believers in some way, shape, or form (We live in the Deep South).

My son is very hurt and I am sad for him. Any suggested bible verses to pass along to his roommate to negate the "yoke" one that is destroying their friendship? Right now he's saying "screw it" but it's hard to lose all of your friends at once!!!

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 - Love Verse

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 - Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

If only more Christians took it seriously.

They might twist the part about "Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth." The reason they might twist it is they believe your son is now evil. Its really sad.

Matthew 11:19a says:

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'

My son's (very religious) college roommate just informed him that he could no longer room with him due to religious reasons. All of a sudden he's decided that he can't be "yoked to unbelievers." They've been best friends for about 3 years and my son has always told me that the two of them have very open and honest discussions about religion but have always been able to maintain their friendship because they accept one another for who they are.

The two of them, plus another student are the center of a big group of friends. This issue is causing a rift amongst all of them and my son is feeling left out because they are all believers in some way, shape, or form (We live in the Deep South).

My son is very hurt and I am sad for him. Any suggested bible verses to pass along to his roommate to negate the "yoke" one that is destroying their friendship? Right now he's saying "screw it" but it's hard to lose all of your friends at once!!!

Romans Chapter Two comes to mind. it is blasphemy to preach because what one preaches, that person also commits as a sin. The gentiles do not need salvation because they already do what the law demands.

It's too bad he feels hurt by this. Really, it's just his friend's problem.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 - Love Verse

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 - Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

If only more Christians took it seriously.

They might twist the part about "Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth." The reason they might twist it is they believe your son is now evil. Its really sad.

Thank you, Deva. This is a nice verse that might as least make his roommate think about how he's treating his best friend. He might try to twist it that my son is now evil EXCEPT for the fact that my son's been an atheist the entire time his roommate has known him. It's not my son whose changed. It's the roommate.

These verses come to my mind:

Matthew 6:14-15 NIV

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Matthew 18: 21-22 NIV

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, " Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times? " Jesus answered, " I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

John 8:7 NIV

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Romans 12:20 NIV

On the contrary: " If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

Any suggested bible verses to pass along to his roommate to negate the "yoke" one that is destroying their friendship? Right now he's saying "screw it" but it's hard to lose all of your friends at once!!!

I recommend against your son trying to resolve the problem with his religious friends by quoting scripture. Remember, the scriptures are so convoluted that no matter what one quotes, one can always find something contrary. But there is something more important from a theological standpoint. Do you remember the story of Jesus' temptations from Satan? Do you remember what Satan did to try to tempt Jesus? He quoted scriptures. So from a theological standpoint, it is well known that scriptures can be twisted even by Satan and it is as Satan that they may view your son's use of the very scriptures in which he doesn't even believe. Sick, I know, but that's the way it is.

Personally, I would recommend that if he wants to try to get on his friend's good side that he appeal to their three years of friendship and ask his roommate if that friendship was never true in the first place. That will cause his roommate to think long and hard. And if after this kind of discussion, his roommate does not relent then there is no friendship to save.

Any suggested bible verses to pass along to his roommate to negate the "yoke" one that is destroying their friendship? Right now he's saying "screw it" but it's hard to lose all of your friends at once!!!

I recommend against your son trying to resolve the problem with his religious friends by quoting scripture. Remember, the scriptures are so convoluted that no matter what one quotes, one can always find something contrary. But there is something more important from a theological standpoint. Do you remember the story of Jesus' temptations from Satan? Do you remember what Satan did to try to tempt Jesus? He quoted scriptures. So from a theological standpoint, it is well known that scriptures can be twisted even by Satan and it is as Satan that they may view your son's use of the very scriptures in which he doesn't even believe. Sick, I know, but that's the way it is.

Personally, I would recommend that if he wants to try to get on his friend's good side that he appeal to their three years of friendship and ask his roommate if that friendship was never true in the first place. That will cause his roommate to think long and hard. And if after this kind of discussion, his roommate does not relent then there is no friendship to save.

This does make much more sense Overcame, than all the quoting of scripture! You are probably right!

It is a 'no-win' situation using all the verses!

Sorry I don't have any advice to offer (other than I agree with OF and that it's the friend's problem) but is the friend wanting to sever the friendship entirely, distance himself in other ways, or just not room together?

• Super Moderator
it's hard to lose all of your friends at once!!!

Obviously, they are/were not friends at all. More like "brothers in Christ" or some shit. True friendship is not so conditional that a difference of opinion would end it.

Good, though painful lesson to learn early in life.

• Like 2

Yes it is hard to lose all your friends at once, but if they aren't true friends it is better to let them go now than continue to entertain the illusion they actually care at all. Christians are notoriously bad at real friendship. It always depends too much on group opinion and not individual opinion. Sheep alright. I feel sad for your son too, I have been to the hideous place these judgemental idiots have sent him. As painful as it is, move on as soon as possible and without looking back. Nothing will turn one into a pillar of salt more easily and completely than the indifference of christians. Failing that you could always try hitting them with "a friend loves at all times" from Psalms, but as you probably know christains are great at cherry picking when they are determined to be an asshole.

Thank you, Deva. This is a nice verse that might as least make his roommate think about how he's treating his best friend. He might try to twist it that my son is now evil EXCEPT for the fact that my son's been an atheist the entire time his roommate has known him. It's not my son whose changed. It's the roommate.

That is one of my favorite passages from the Bible (yes I still like some!). I was hoping it would help. As with anything I post, take with a grain of salt and if it looks helpful, great, if not, please ignore.

I hope your son's friend isn't my cousin (apparently, he gets into religious discussions with his roommates). If he goes to the university in Florence, Al, then I would suspect it might be the case.

it's hard to lose all of your friends at once!!!

Obviously, they are/were not friends at all. More like "brothers in Christ" or some shit. True friendship is not so conditional that a difference of opinion would end it.

Good, though painful lesson to learn early in life.

I agree, it will be painful but a valuable lesson learned. Don't be friends with people who will drop you so easily (aka Christians). They can be and often are the worst sort of friends you can have. Do you really want your son to keep being friends with people like that?

This is such good advice and seems reasonable. But are christians ever reasonable when it comes to their faith. I hope you are right and that they overcome this because of their long-term friendship.

I hope your son's friend isn't my cousin (apparently, he gets into religious discussions with his roommates). If he goes to the university in Florence, Al, then I would suspect it might be the case.

Nope, we're in Louisiana! I think it must be common for college students to question their faith. I'm wondering if my son's rommmate is actually afraid that what my son says makes sense and may have him doubting his religion.

Typical cult like behavior. Tell your son to move on, he does not need a brain washed fuck like the Christian as a friend anyway....