Goodbye Jesus

Jesus was a whiteboy???

seeker

I'm sure this has been discussed. Basically.....who came up with what Jesus looked like? If he was a real person born in the middle east I'm sure he was very "ethnic" looking. Then again my best friend's (who is black) mom has pictures of a black Jesus in her apartment...haha...who the hell knows...

Well, if Jesus was a Jew, then he'd look like the other Jews of the time. Middle Eastern Jews.

Is the depiction here the closest to what most think?

jebusblahblah.jpg

He's one of those Shape Shifters, except the only thing he changes is his coloring.

We know what Zeus was supposed to look like, we know what Thor was supposed to look like, we know what Mithras was supposed to look like, but we can't even figure out Jesus' haircut. Hmm...

I'm sure this has been discussed. Basically.....who came up with what Jesus looked like? If he was a real person born in the middle east I'm sure he was very "ethnic" looking. Then again my best friend's (who is black) mom has pictures of a black Jesus in her apartment...haha...who the hell knows...

Good question. What did Jesus look like?

Even early church fathers admitted that no one knew.

St Augustine said that his features could not be determined, so that "we have absolutely no knowledge of his appearance. "

Origen claimed that Jesus was able to assume whatever form was suitable to the circumstances.

Tertullian says that Jesus was "not fair to look upon" and "his form was disfigured"

This lead many in the early church to believe that Jesus had been a hunchback or a leper.

Other church fathers described Jesus as "the most beautiful among the sons of men"

Others described him as "the ugliest amongst the sons of men"

Some of the earliest images of Jesus depict him as young and beardless, often with blonde hair, much like a greek god. Sometimes he was carrying a lamb. He was also depicted as a fish or a lamb.

It wasn't until the sixth century that Jesus started showing up in artwork with dark hair and a beard.

It's really apparent that there are absolutely no real clues as to what Jesus looked like.

:brutal_01:

Another smashing blow to the historicists.

I have been reading so much about Jesus lately just trying to see if I believe he even existed. Right now. I think he probably was a real person. For two reasons really. First. I think some Bible verses I read don't have Jesus sounding like an arrogant prick, he comes across as a human being who is just like everyone else trying to believe in something more. Having that "feeling" we all have at some point of "God" he probably suspected that God was within himself.

I think any of the passages that have him referring to himself as God were most likely interpolations from the brats that wrote the Bible. Half of what he supposedly said shows me a human going through a learning process just like we all do about life. Learning to be tolerant of others, not to judge, and learning that God is within us and not some condeming, judging evil dictator like the Old testament makes IT out to be.

He may have grown a bit arrogant because of people hanging off his nuts so to speak because of how different his views were. But it was probably refreshing to people in those times who were so used to the "norm". All of the ideas of virgin births, resurrections, miracles and healings seem to have been taken from other religions for sure. And they also come across as over active imaginations.

Secondly, for so much to have been said about Jesus even if it were only in the New Testament I think *something* most have happened. I read a passage where after Jesus is cruxified he ask's someone for some food and drink. Does that sound like a God? I think not. I think he probably survived the cross. Which created hysteria among people there, and eventually led to people believing he was a God. Even today people survive things that seem impossible to walk away from. It happens. And 2000 years ago was no exception.

If I'm correct then I would say that I don't think Jesus ever intended to come across as God. And I don't think he ever wanted to have an established church. I only say that from some verses I have read where to me it seems Jesus was trying to get people out of the Churches...or whatever they called them.

Of course Im still new to learning about this topic. And this is only my theory from a very limited amount of research. But I just thought I would share.

keep reading, there's plenty (and growing) of material with all points of view and angles. you just have to make heads or tails out of them. what seems right, feasible and realistic.

yeah, something happened alright, it did change everything, from our Calendar to the events in the course of human history.

can't even wonder how things would have turned out otherwise, we have no real point of reference we could use

Remember - Jesus was only half human. Since 1/2 of Jesus' genes were obtained from God - it would be kind of tough to come up with a logical physical description.

Wait a minute ,,,,

God is invisible...

NO WONDER if you look closely enough at Jesus, you are able to see right through him.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you're fargone enough to take Isaiah as a prophecy of Jesus, then you would have to be in the camp that thought he was ugly.

Isaiah 53:2 we lo' mar'eh wenehmedehu "not a form that we would desire/delight in" (me) or KJV "there is no beauty that we should desire him"

Context:

KJV Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Remember - Jesus was only half human.  Since 1/2 of Jesus' genes were obtained from God - it would be kind of tough to come up with a logical physical description.

Wait a minute  ,,,,

God is invisible...

NO WONDER if you  look closely enough at Jesus, you are able to see right through him.

96332[/snapback]

Excellent!

Although if you consider that no man can LOOK at God, and Jesus was 1/2 God (besides being God), then maybe no one could focus on him very well. Maybe he only appeared as half-human and half invisible...

Or maybe he was half human, but with a burning bush!!

Which could explain why he seemed to be pissed off half the time...

Here's the CO version of this question. A fight amongst themselves, of course not without calling people racist

Found this off the net: "Physical Descriptions of Jesus"

The Description of Publius Lentullus

The following was taken from a manuscript in the possession of Lord Kelly, and in his library, and was copied from an original letter of Publius Lentullus at Rome. It being the usual custom of Roman Governors to advertise the Senate and people of such material things as happened in their provinces in the days of Tiberius Caesar, Publius Lentullus, President of Judea, wrote the following epistle to the Senate concerning the Nazarene called Jesus.

"There appeared in these our days a man, of the Jewish Nation, of great virtue, named Yeshua [Jesus], who is yet living among us, and of the Gentiles is accepted for a Prophet of truth, but His own disciples call Him the Son of God- He raiseth the dead and cureth all manner of diseases. A man of stature somewhat tall, and comely, with very reverent countenance, such as the beholders may both love and fear, his hair of (the colour of) the chestnut, full ripe, plain to His ears, whence downwards it is more orient and curling and wavering about His shoulders. In the midst of His head is a seam or partition in His hair, after the manner of the Nazarenes. His forehead plain and very delicate; His face without spot or wrinkle, beautified with a lovely red; His nose and mouth so formed as nothing can be reprehended; His beard thickish, in colour like His hair, not very long, but forked; His look innocent and mature; His eyes grey, clear, and quick- In reproving hypocrisy He is terrible; in admonishing, courteous and fair spoken; pleasant in conversation, mixed with gravity. It cannot be remembered that any have seen Him Laugh, but many have seen Him Weep. In proportion of body, most excellent; His hands and arms delicate to behold. In speaking, very temperate, modest, and wise. A man, for His singular beauty, surpassing the children of men"

Not suprising, this and the other letters are debunked: http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=34320

I think he looked like this:

beback.jpg

keep reading, there's plenty (and growing) of material with all points of view and angles.  you just have to make heads or tails out of them.  what seems right, feasible and realistic.

yeah, something happened alright, it did change everything, from our Calendar to the events in the course of human history.

can't even wonder how things would have turned out otherwise, we have no real point of reference we could use

96167[/snapback]

What happened was the Roman Cesar adopted xtianity and had the power to change holidays and calendars. It's really not a mystery. Following that, Europeans forced their brand of religion on all nations they conquered. Had they not done this the cult would have shriveled and died a long time ago.