Goodbye Jesus

A new speaker in tongues!

regencybrougham

I walked in last night and overheard my roommate telling someone that he spoke in tongues for the first time last night. :vent:

I don't know how I get hooked up with these people.

At least he's dropped the "never intermingle with non-believers" kick he was on last semester.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

At least he's dropped the "never intermingle with non-believers" kick he was on last semester.

And you see THIS as a "good" thing? :eek: I like my Christians to stay as far away from me as humanly possible. I bet you'll change your mind when he starts "shamalama-ding-donging" around you.

Ask Amethyst about working in close proximity to Christ-stains. It nearly drove her nuts.

Maybe it's now a "never intermingle with non-believers, unless you try to convert them" kick.

I walked in last night and overheard my roommate telling someone that he spoke in tongues for the first time last night.  :vent:

I don't know how I get hooked up with these people.

Well, if you were daring, you could try wearing pentagrams and leave 'The Satanic Bible' laying around... :wicked:

At least speaking in tongues makes it clear who the gibbering idiots are!

Maybe it's now a "never intermingle with non-believers, unless you try to convert them" kick.

Luckily I don't think he's going to be trying to convert anyone. He did a toastmasters speech that dealt with Jesus and some of the people there were not pleased. From some of the stuff he's said since then I think he's come to the conclusion that it's best to talk about it only in certain company.

Unfortunately he thinks I'm a christian :Wendywhatever: so I still hear about this kind of stuff. I don't want to tell him I'm not, because he would not understand, would probably try to do some sort of intervention (he loves "working" on other people's problems and offering to assist).

I walked in last night and overheard my roommate telling someone that he spoke in tongues for the first time last night.  :vent:

Show your support and concern for him by giving him the name of a reputable speech therapist.

....(he loves "working" on other people's problems and offering to assist).

and never seeing how inane he comes off. God, speaking in tongues is just so wacko.

geezus. :blink:

Someone may speak in tongues (a foreign language), but this is never a proof that such a person is filled with, or even indwelt by, the Holy Spirit, let alone a spiritual believer (cf. 1 Cor. 1:5; 3:1).
:loser:

Have any people on this site spoken in tonuges before? What did you think of it when you were Christian and what is your view of it now?

Have any people on this site spoken in tonuges before? What did you think of it when you were Christian and what is your view of it now?

Yes, at the time I was seriousley delusional!!! I was being prayed for; my Aunt and Uncle and all thier freinds were ganging up on me, laying on hands and all that. I remember them telling me to loose my tounge and give it to god and let the holy spirit take over. After a while, I figured I was doning something wrong (by doing nothing?) so I started imitating the sounds that they made. And of course they went nuts!!!! Hell, even I thought I had actually done it. :loser: Of course looking back, I can see what a dumbass I was. It just goes to show what can happen when you want to believe something bad enough :vent:

Yes, at the time I was seriousley delusional!!! I was being prayed for; my Aunt and Uncle and all thier freinds were ganging up on me, laying on hands and all that. I remember them telling me to loose my tounge and give it to god and let the holy spirit take over. After a while, I figured I was doning something wrong (by doing nothing?) so I started imitating the sounds that they made. And of course they went nuts!!!! Hell, even I thought I had actually done it.  :loser: Of course looking back, I can see what a dumbass I was. It just goes to show what can happen when you want to believe something bad enough :vent:

I don't know, sometimes I am happy that I was raised Catholic because it is a flaky religion that does not have a psycological hold on people. When I felt it was bullshit I left mostly intact. I first heard about all this speaking in tongues crap when I came on this site. When I was a Catholic, speaking in tongues meant you were posessed by the devil. Weird.

Some people are on this site because they need help dealing with having their mind manipulated for most of their lives, and I feel terrible when I hear stories like yours. It's abuse.

I was in a Pentecostal church and did that myself. It's a long an involved answer I would be happy to share with you more, but to keep it as brief as possible: It's really phenomena of human experience that it by no means unique to Christianity. Zulus do it; Voodoo practitioners do it, etc. Plato mentions it about occurring in religions of his time, hundreds of years before Christianity.

Basically it's like a drug experience of letting go and just freakin’ I liken it to almost a sexual experience. Which is what really creeped me out about it as everyone is doing it together in the church. It was like group masturbation or sex, if you will forgive the image.

It's one of the reasons I left it. I was looking for truth and got sucked into that shit in my youth. It doesn't fit who I am. I had to work hard to overcome my logic to allow myself to experience that, but I was convinced I needed to seek that experience by them. What I fool I was. Funny, so many of them still believe the same shit years later.