Goodbye Jesus

Ok What Does 'relational' Mean (in The Christian Context)

Guest MadameX

I hear about churches that are relational. Dunno what that means. Christian buzzword?

I've heard the buzzword "relationship" with Christ....and think I could help you there, but don't really know what a "relational church" would be. Maybe the same thing, maybe not.

I hear about churches that are relational. Dunno what that means. Christian buzzword?

This is very interesting. The term relational church is another term used for a House Church. They are gatherings of groups of Christians that meet in each others homes instead of an Institutional building. The approach is that it creates a greater sense of community and family. So in that sense it would be much more 'relational' in that way, as opposed to being underneath a hierarchical leadership structure.

I would say that something like this would in fact create a greater sense of relationships, as gathering in each others homes in the practice of some sort of ritual inherently would create community, as opposed to just living in isolated cells as is typical of the modern nuclear family. In previous generations, even going to a community church building, you would still have had more community interaction with neighbors outside it. Gathering together in one place would act to solidify those relationships as part of a common shared experience. Modern city life with global telecommunications, even though we may have these "social" networks and twitter everyone we're going to go take a pee now, it is not the same as direct personal interactions. The use of body language, direct verbal interactions, standing together physically in a shared space, and all that comes with that creates bonds that go far beyond being on an email list.

The real issue though is that in any sort of organized gatherings, "Let's meet in Mary's home next week", is that people are people. And as egalitarian as the group may wish to make itself, you will eventually always have someone seek power over others in the group, impose their vision on the group. And then group dynamics begins to shift into groups supportive of this charismatic personality, those opposed to what's happening, divisions, in-fighting, splits, etc. No matter the good intentions it will typically happen at some point. And so the conundrum of controlling the damage comes into play by doing that evil thing and setting a body of governance; a certain hierarchy that says what can and can't happen as a group. Then off it goes again in a circle.

Yes early Christianity met in homes. Yes it doubtless had a much greater sense of family as a result. But what happened? Orthodoxy became created by stronger minded individuals to control the flock in its own image of what to believe, what was acceptable teachings, when to meet, who could lead, and so on! They needed to be able to control the group to keep it from dividing, so out the door with those with different ideas than theirs! The result of course for that new body under this leadership is then a breakdown of that 'house church' dynamic to be replaced with a model of sheep and shepherds. People now become followers of leaders, rather than building their 'church' together.

And the cycle begins again! As Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park said, "If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territory, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously... I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way. "

The Relational Church is a movement within Protestantism where the goal is to run the church as a family rather than a business.

Guest Xtech

This is very interesting. ..

Excellent response, thanks very much for that.