Goodbye Jesus

Mad At The Wof Teachings

Victory2011

Hello, I am not sure if I am allowed to post here as I am still a Christian, but something is bothering me lately. I have opened my eyes to see that the Word of Faith Doctrine is not what the Bible really says. WOF teachings that we can be prosperous and be successful just by calling those things that are not as though they were. Since learning that this is not a good doctrine to believe in, I am sort of lost now. I followed the teachings and gave faithfully for many years now. Now I see that it was a bunch of lies. So this is making me question my faith altogether. Is it all a lie, or is it truth that has been tainted by a false doctorine. If this post does not believe here, it can be moved. I did not know where to put it.

I think it would be better in Colosseum. :)

Welcome, btw. I left WoF many years ago. What a load of crap it was... it never worked.

• Super Moderator

Being an Ex-Christian, of course I think that and all the other doctrines don't hold water. What is Biblical and what is not depends entirely on who is interpreting that contradictory collection of ancient writings. Why not see what the Koran says? It must be true since people are willing to kill and be killed for it.

If I left Christianity would I be throwing the baby out with the bath water? That is what someone told me once.

Yes, its all a lie. Never been hooked in by this particular sect, but it sounds like the prosperity gospel to me. This is the idea that God's people ought to be prosperous and successful. A complete contradiction to the gospel, of course.

Naturally, being an Ex-Christian I think the Gospel is also a bunch of lies, so there you have it :shrug:

• Super Moderator
...throwing the baby out with the bath water

Jeez, I hate that phrase! I hear it all the time. There is no baby!!!

Yeah, either that, or THIS baby isn't worth saving!

Guest Valk0010

For every person there is one interpretation, some say WOF is right some say not, but everyone has there own little view I think. Its one of the problems i had with christianity, there is no guidance by the holy ghost, otherwise there would be way more unity on doctrine.

Guest Valk0010

If I left Christianity would I be throwing the baby out with the bath water? That is what someone told me once.

Its a bit more like polishing a turd. The baby and the bathwater are one in the same in this instance. So goes the unity of being christian brothers and sister one might say.

You ever hear about so and so is a real godly man despite the fact that he believes in X? Well, how can you have a whole bunch of *godly* men who disagree on so much stuff? I mean aside from how one is saved and what the nature of God is, there's nothing they agree on!

• Like 1

I have not been to church in a few months now. I want to go back, and then again I do not. I guess it is safe to say that I do not know where I am going at this point in my life. I still believe in God, I just do not believe in all the different sects and beliefs. I guess this is a time for me to reflect and review what I really believe.

Being out of church has brought me closer to God in a strange and unusual way. I pray more now then before when I used to go to church two times a week.

Hello, I am not sure if I am allowed to post here as I am still a Christian, but something is bothering me lately. I have opened my eyes to see that the Word of Faith Doctrine is not what the Bible really says. WOF teachings that we can be prosperous and be successful just by calling those things that are not as though they were. Since learning that this is not a good doctrine to believe in, I am sort of lost now. I followed the teachings and gave faithfully for many years now. Now I see that it was a bunch of lies. So this is making me question my faith altogether. Is it all a lie, or is it truth that has been tainted by a false doctorine. If this post does not believe here, it can be moved. I did not know where to put it.

Welcome Victory to Ex-C! You are always welcome to post here as a Christian. I myself don't come from the WOF area of Christianity ("Bible" Churches for me). There are thousands of denominations all believing that their specific brand of Christianity is right, and that the others have a wrong interpretation. This occurs simply because the Bible was written by men...hundreds and hundreds of scholars all making mistakes, adding additions, deleting phrases, changing words etc...So of course the Bible is going to be vague hence the myriad of denominations. I say throw out the baby, the bathwater and remodel the bathroom.

Oh, no! Don't throw baby Jesus out with the baptize water... :grin:

Welcome here!

I was a WOF member for 3 years - made me run faster after I reconized the 'cult'..... do not regret leaving at all. Here's a good link and reading about 'the word of faith'. Hope it helps.............:grin:

http://thewordonthewordoffaithinfoblog.com/2009/01/16/facts-about-the-word-of-faith-cult-movement/

Welcome to ExC, Victory2011.

If the Word of Faith Doctrine has caused you to question Christianity, then to that extent it may actually be helping you to discover the truth. Almost everyone on this forum has discovered the truth about Christianity and it was very difficult for many of us when we learned it. And the truth is that Christianity is a false religion through and through. But you will have to discover this for yourself to be convinced. I hope you continue in your questioning.

Guest Valk0010

Being out of church has brought me closer to God in a strange and unusual way. I pray more now then before when I used to go to church two times a week.

Church sucks when it comes to dealing with spirituality. If it brings you closer to "god" that is a very good thing.

Of course it is lie, seems like its all christian know how to do these days. When I became a christian in 1970, calling something as though it were when it isn't was called a LIE. The scripture says it is god who does this. NOT US. Just another way for the church to make money by putting their hands into the wallets of its members as well as mindfucking them. At no point does anyone question why the bible says you can love god or money but not both, and how word of faith directily contravenes so many of the other things jesus said which suggest the opposite. They just make it iup as they go along, and they dont care who it hurts. Keep your mind open, you are clearly an honest person. Get out quick before they corrupt you too.

Only you can answer that question. My advice though would be not to take anyone's word on it and when you explore it, do not just look to those who already believe. Be as objective as you can and explore opposing arguments to your faith as well, they might actually be on to something.

• Like 1

Oh, I thought there was no spoon. Now I'm just confused..........:shrug:

Hi, Victory and welcome to Ex-c. IMO, throwing out the baby is a good thing. Your beliefs on God, the Bible, Jesus, life, religion and spirituality can be examined this way. Some people go on to some other form of religion/spirituality but the old (which you seem to be doubting) has to die first. Most of us find that it certainly doesn't happen overnight. The process stinks. But is well worth it in the end. Thankfully, I was not in WoF.

Prior to my deconversion, my wife and I stopped going to church. There were a variety of reasons, but it felt like our attempts at getting the "real" presence of God were thwarted by church growth plans that demanded a lot of our free time, and a general sense of from leadership of "we've already got the presence of God". A year or so later, my own version of "WOF" got unplugged in a big way, and I realized that for nearly a decade I had been believing a couple of preachers who claimed miracle after miracle without ever seeing anything manifest. The deception didn't break until I saw him make up a pretty involved story about witches in Germany. That was what put the first crack in my faith, and a couple of years later it came crashing down as question after question I had shelved over the years were revisited with an aim to find the real truth and not excuses.

So I encourage you to quit taking in to something you realize is sour, and to keep trying to find what resonates with you. Ask real questions and don't take contorted reasoning as a way to "make it work".

Oh, I thought there was no spoon. Now I'm just confused..........:shrug:

There was a spoon but the baby spoiled the soup so the water spoon and baby were tossed. BTW the one eyed crow died trying to eat the spoon cause some wild-haired dude in a brown outfit buried the baby avec crow under a t-shaped tree.

Then all was revealed as a computer program so the point is moot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi and welcome, Victory!

Neat. It sounds like you are more self-reliant as of late. Good for you!

I was not involved in WoF and only heard about it recently. It reminds me of the New Age "The Secret" people and some of the modern, U.S. branches of Nichiren Buddhism. They all of this idea about getting material wealth through spirituality. I often wonder if every major faith branch has a "Name it, claim it" offshoot.

Good luck in your journey!

Phanta

• 5 months later...

I don't fully understand WoF or Prosperity Gospel stuff... however comming from an interest in spiritual traditions that do emphasize trying to cultivate positive intentions to life (rather than petitionary prayer to a god), i'm wondering what's inherently wrong with "Name it and claim it"... so what if it's unbiblical, or not... Didn't Jesus suggest something rather similar? Always talking about faith's power? I think alot of people are oppossed to the WoF movement because it threatens the darker Protestant ethos of focusing on people being powerless and needing Jesus (and not coincidentally, the institutional church to act in place of him)... that's why its "unbiblical" . But the actual bible itself has so many different theological viewpoints that we cannot simply pick and choose verses to claim our positions, we need to use our reason too.