Goodbye Jesus

Flash is the embodiment of evil!

spamandham

Ok, I can hardly stand the plethora of flash adds out there! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to bog down bandwidth and crap cpu systems with useless flash adds deserves immediate naturally caused death!

I can't count the number of sites I've had to cross off my list simply because of senseless flash adds that render my computer useless!

I have to wonder if anyone is even testing this crap or if webmasters are giving any consideration at all to reduced hits as the result of rendering their sites unusable via flash.

I'm sure a state of the art system connected via fiber has no problem with all the BS useless flash adds, but how many of us have the state of the art everywhere we go?

If I had a site, I would charge 10x for popups and 1000x for flash adds.

Until I got DSL, after having dial-up ever since I had Internet, I didn't realize just how much flash ads bogged down a connection.

OMG, they're such a pain in the ass. And even with DSL, they still take more time than I'd like to load, meaning the site you WANT is taking forever.

Shall we form a posse, and drag the creator of flash ads out in the street and shoot him or her?

I am on a fiber connection with a beast of a desktop machine. And even I find them insufferably annoying.

Shooting is too quick and merciful. We should stab them.

With spoons.

Rusty spoons.

What's terrible with these flash ads, it seems like they can circumvent the "pop-up" blocker! Some sites give me popups now and then, and the blocker doesn't stop them, but they have flash-ads, so I'm just guessing...

Even if it does, a lot of sites these days use Flash menus for navigation, and often it;s a popup. You can't win!

What is a flash ad? I'm sure I've seen them, just not sure what it is..

I am on a fiber connection with a beast of a desktop machine. And even I find them insufferably annoying.

Shooting is too quick and merciful. We should stab them.

With spoons.

Rusty spoons.

Hmmm....where to start first?

Which body part should we start with?

I mean, I can come up with some suggestions, but usually people tell me I'm too brutal at that point.....

Now wait a minute... I design in Flash Professional MX.

You want a piece of me, come and get me!

;)

One recent site, that I did.

Then you are the anti ex-christ!

98779[/snapback]

Yes, and soon my flash animation will invade every corpuscle of ex-c's being, driving you to drink and fornicate in larger amounts than you already do.

;)

One recent site, that I did.

98764[/snapback]

Cool work, wish I was that smart.

I hate pop ups, but I own a Flash design company (cowfly.com), so I take a little offense at the over generalization that Flash is evil, but I get your drift.

Flashpaper helped provide a solution to the timeline project mentioned in my sig that would not be possible in other formats. Check it out.

Flashpaper helped provide a solution to the timeline project mentioned in my sig that would not be possible in other formats. Check it out.

100988[/snapback]

If someone wants to integrate flash into their site, they need to decide whether they think the increased experience for some is worth the loss of visiters who don't have decent systems. Webmasters used to care about how long it took for pages to load. Now that broadband is ubiquitous, they seem to have forgotten that a large percentage of users don't have the latest system, or are sharing that broadband connection.

I'm really talking about the ads that show up on otherwise nonflash sites that suck the life out of my system. Does an animation really need to repeat endlessly, sucking the life out of crap systems, in order to get your attention?

I'm really talking about the ads that show up on otherwise nonflash sites that suck the life out of my system.  Does an animation really need to repeat endlessly, sucking the life out of crap systems, in order to get your attention?

101007[/snapback]

Right. I get your point, though your OP was an over generalization. I was at a Macromedia seminar yesterday on Flash Studio 8. You'll be happy to know that there have been enormous improvements in memory handling with Flash player 8. If you have not, I would recommend updating your player at the link below. While it will not address part of your annoyance, it will address some of the performance issues over time.

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/downlo...sh&promoid=BIOX