Goodbye Jesus

Rameus' Sermon on Selective Skepticism

Guest Rameus

Well, having only met Rameus today, I guess I'm not a member of his cult yet. My appeal for reconsideration is based on the image that it represented to me; one of censorship. I didn't bother to read past a paragraph or two of his diatribe since the subject doesn't really interest me. Feel free to ban him if you wish, but I still ask that you reconsider. Other members have after all broken this particular board guideline and later confessed. It was all in clean fun. I agree, the way Rameus did it smacks of an over bloated messiah complex and ivory tower sanctimony. Banning him would I fear (unjustly or not) send a message that we are not open criticism within our own ranks.

I'll let others weigh in now. This is just my first reaction.

Consider it a fire drill.  Just be glad that report cards aren’t being issued…

Block away.  When I return in 6-12 months, I will conduct another fire drill in a similar manner.  If that violates the rules in a manner that is worthy of banishment, then might I suggest that you block my account now rather than wait for the next violation.

Rameus

100174[/snapback]

:twitch:

Damn Rameus. I was with you right up until THIS post. What happened? You take your arrogance pills this morning? Talk about believing your own press clippings!

I remember you from the old days. I was new and just a lurker. The members of this board absolutely REVERED your wisdom and your person. I suppose that was a misplaced honor. Even "worship". Because it has apparently gone to your head.

Who died and made you "GOD"? Who named you the Appointed Ex-C Thought Tester? Did the webmaster or Bruce grant you some position I'm unaware of? (Did I miss the memo?)

Heimdall is correct. Your BEHAVIOR was wrong. Your POINT was dead on target. You simply should have gone about advising/correcting us differently.

I grieve for the great friendships you have flushed down the toilet simply to cater to your ego. Sad.

So, all the forum members are overhere?

I enjoyed the read. It's good to place yourself in the shoes of your opponents.

Rameus, can you now give a summary of your mindset if your stand in your own shoes? Maybe we can show you this time a more skeptic point of view. :wicked:

Rameus specifically stated his intention to willfully violate the board guidelines.

100202[/snapback]

*gasp* for shame! Gimme a fuckin break. Don't hide behind bullshit answers like this, at least have the balls to give your honest reason, instead of cleaning the dust off this widely broken guideline. If you think he's an arrogant prick, just say it.

Grow a pair.

It seems that some of the members here, who are also in the "Rameus Cult", want to give him a special dispensation.

Not sure about this 'Rameus cult' business. All I know is I learn and benefit from reading his posts, just as I do from reading Heimdall's or Bruce's posts (or others). I don't like to see anyone banned, but even if I am a Rameus cultist, it's not my website, so whatever the mods do is ok with me.

• Admin

I just found out about this little adventure.

From my point of view, Rameus is just too arrogantly self-congratulatory for my taste. I don't disagree with his point. In fact, I completely agree that we should be skeptical and properly research our facts. That's wisdom.

However, I think there are better ways to say it. That's just my opinion in the matter.

What none of you may know is the circumstances around which Rameus left us the first time. Rameus was soliciting me repeatedly to have his own personal section of the website. He wanted it to be called "Rameus's Place." He asked me for it several times, perhaps as many as a dozen. I politely declined each time.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be glad to offer him some help in setting up his own website, but he didn't want his own website, he wanted a piece of this one, and he wanted it for free. He pointedly maintained that his posts would greatly add to the intellectual quality of this site, and intimated that I'd be foolish to refuse. He wasn't mean about it; he just presented his idea with his usual self-important arrogance.

I thought it was odd, and again declined. I didn't want to see the site become a cult of one. I like the sense of community we've built here, I'd hate to see it shredded because of one person.

Anyway, after my dozen or so declinations of his generous offer to dominate a portion of the site, he decided he wasn't interested in being here any more. That's when he left.

Now, I'd suggest that if we all really want to learn something here, it's to be skeptical of everything and everyone - including Rameus.

This thread was closed by someone else, but I'll honor that decision and leave it closed. Those who wish to discuss this further may message me.