Goodbye Jesus

I Had It Easy...

freeasabird

As far as parochial schools go, it could also depend on which flavor of school you are talking about. I send my daughters to an Episcopal school as it far and away the best school in the area academically, but it is pretty mild on the religious side of things. They do teach a little from the Bible, but as if it had been edited by Walt Disney. They are very accepting of other beliefs. my daughters are both atheists, and there are several other kids who are atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc.

Respectfully,

Franciscan Monkey

Thank you for sharing. I'm compelled to ask, does the school know you and your daughters are atheists? How do they feel about that? What is that like, do they just ask them to keep their opinions to themselves? It just sounds like a very odd position to be in.

• 7 months later...

Yeah...the word "atheist" is a dirty word for me because of all the hate mongers who just LOVE to spoil the peace of coexistance with all of their hypocritical.....(big word coming, Libs).... INTOLERANCE.

I firmly believe that if you were ever a believer, then you can genuinely see both sides. The nasty haters who never had the heart of "belief" are just ///"different", killjoy assholes and I don't want to be lumped in with them.

When deconversion comes on that fast, you are totally not expecting it. That is how it happened to me--- fast and furious.

Wow, freeasabird! I just found your story! I was in the final throes of losing my faith when I started lurking on Ex-C, and that was back in June. I must have just missed it.

I can relate to your story a lot. I am not an analyst by profession like you but when something doesn't add up, I am like The Princess and the Pea and will deconstruct everything until I get to the bottom of it. I can also relate to your comment about compartmentalization--it's about the only way to survive the cognitive dissonance of Christianity.

Anyhow, your story's a keeper! Thanks for writing!

• 8 months later...

Hi Freeasabird,

I read your ex-timony admittedly because your icon thing shows that you are also a Silversun Pickups fan, AWESOME.

How is life treating you more than a year on?

Hi Freeasabird,

I read your ex-timony admittedly because your icon thing shows that you are also a Silversun Pickups fan, AWESOME.

How is life treating you more than a year on?

Hi sunflower. Not many pick up on the SSPU reference so good on you! Life a year later is going very well. My wife is 100% deconverted. She would still consider herself spiritual, and wouldn't declare herself an atheist, but that's good enough for me. I think she just needed time to see that me parting ways with religion didn't change me at all, and that made it ok for her to take the leap herself. Our family life is completely secular and by all accounts I am accepted as i am by those who matter most in my life.

I really love them, not their new album so much though.

Great to hear that you haven't had too much trouble, that's pretty rare for a lot of de-converts!