Goodbye Jesus

My Life Is Proof

reluctantagn

I was thinking about the verse in Proverbs

Proverbs 22:6

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

6 Train up a child [a]in the way he should go,

Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I think that me and many other people have proved this wrong by our lives. I was raised as a Christian and now I am not. Even if I went back into the faith right now, I would still have departed from it.

Of course the author of this verse had Judaism in mind. And some might try to weasel out of this by saying it is about living a moral life as oppose to following a religion. Both arguments fail. Plenty of our Jewish friends have departed from their faith. So my life may not count but there are many of the Children of Israel, who were raised in the faith, then departed from the way they were bought up. If you want to make it about morality, you are going off an even bigger cliff. Many millions of people have been raised in some sort of an ethical system and chose to live their adult lives in a very different way. Some will argue that if a person is raised in the truth and turns prodigal, he will return to it before he dies. I am sure we could find plenty of examples of that not being the case. Anyway, the verse says that people like me will not depart. I did.

The Biblay is wrong about something?

Who would have thunk it? ;)

I think that me and many other people have proved this wrong by our lives. I was raised as a Christian and now I am not. Even if I went back into the faith right now, I would still have departed from it.

Of course the author of this verse had Judaism in mind. And some might try to weasel out of this by saying it is about living a moral life as oppose to following a religion. Both arguments fail. Plenty of our Jewish friends have departed from their faith. So my life may not count but there are many of the Children of Israel, who were raised in the faith, then departed from the way they were bought up. If you want to make it about morality, you are going off an even bigger cliff. Many millions of people have been raised in some sort of an ethical system and chose to live their adult lives in a very different way. Some will argue that if a person is raised in the truth and turns prodigal, he will return to it before he dies. I am sure we could find plenty of examples of that not being the case. Anyway, the verse says that people like me will not depart. I did.

The obvious answer is obviously you weren't brought up right. What makes you think you were brought up right? You never departed because you never were a true believer. Problem solved.

• Super Moderator

Many a child who was "trained in the way he should go" ultimately turned out to be a serial killer, thief, rapist, Mormon, Scientologist, Catholic, used car salesman, politician or preacher.

Still, it's probably a good idea to raise children to become good and responsible adults. It couldn't hurt but it's obviously no guarantee.

It would be a stretch to take this verse to mean that a child raised in a proper Baptist home will remain a good Baptist all his life - though some do think that. It doesn't even work for Judaism or a god belief in general.

Typical religious thinking will say that if the child eventually departs, that is proof he was not raised properly. It's the Christian (in particular) no win scenario.

The obvious answer is obviously you weren't brought up right. What makes you think you were brought up right? You never departed because you never were a true believer. Problem solved.

Ya know St Paul. That is without a doubt the most intolerate and ignorant comment a christian can make on this forum. You obviously haven't read any of the testimonials. I suggest you start with prplfox's. Before you start letting fly the No True Scotsman Fallacy I suggest you look at your own actions. A True christian wouldn't condon the use of prostitues.

There are a few christian on here who have been around for awhile. For example end can be a jerk at times, but there is a compassionate core there that he occasionally lets slip.

Keep up comments like this and you won't last.

Liberal Christian. HA!

*yawn*

Wow, we got a Real Christian™ going to convert us Real Atheists™ to Real Christianity™! He can even tell who is not a Real Christian™ too! Somebody say 'Amen™!'

Wow, we got a Real Christian™ going to convert us Real Atheists™ to Real Christianity™! He can even tell who is not a Real Christian™ too! Somebody say 'Amen™!'

I think you owe god some royalties for trademark abuse or something

lmao_99.giflmao_99.giflmao_99.giflmao_99.gif

Christroll or Christard? Could swing either way methinks.

Of course! it's never god's fault. It's the parents' fault. No matter what the parents do, if the kid doesn't keep believing, the parents did it wrong.

wonder why people like you are so damn good at condemning when your own Bible makes it perfectly clear that you're supposed to be loving and caring and compassionate and - you know, someone that might actually make people want to believe what you do.

The NTSF we meet again.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I wasn't a real Christian. I just tried killing myself for being an abomination to God when I was 15 just for fun. Yeah.

Of course! it's never god's fault. It's the parents' fault. No matter what the parents do, if the kid doesn't keep believing, the parents did it wrong. .

Like much In the Bible,the purpose of this verse is to provide the comfort of a false promise, followed by the guilt trip when the promise is not fulfilled.

My mother, were she alive, would be heartbroken and lost thanks to this verse. Fortunately, she is beyond its cruel reach now.

uugh, clone talk! Being a person that used to be dead inside like you I hope that one day you'll wake up.