Goodbye Jesus

Facebook Friend Sucked Back Into The Cult

Brother Jeff

One of my Facebook friends who was going to publish an anti-Christian book called "Christian Controversy" recently got sucked back into the evil, life-destroying cult. Not sure how he got hooked back in, but it's painful to watch and I hope he comes back to his senses soon. He's on a religious high right now and is posting Christian BS such as bible verses to his status, which is... very annoying. It's weird being on the other side of the fence watching someone else go through a reconversion, when it's me that's been there before while friends here watched and hoped I would come back to my senses soon -- which, of course, I always did.

My brief episodes of religious belief were the result of my struggles with mental illness. I don't know what the story is with Bobby, but I don't see his book getting published now, which sort of pisses me off since I took a lot of time to contribute to it. That time and effort is likely wasted now.

There are two groups of people in America I generally view with absolute contempt -- the goddamn Republicans and the evil cult that destroyed my life. I wish I had never heard of Christianity or the alleged "Good News".

I wish I could say something to Bobby to bring him back down to REALITY, but anything I said to him now wouldn't get through. His rational mind is currently offline. We all know how that goes... :vent:

That sucks...never fun to watch!! If he was so "on-fire" against Christianity apparently it's almost no surprise he'll swing back to being "on fire" for Da Lard

:( I hope he comes back to his senses. are you trying to take a step back so as to keep the friendship?

:( I hope he comes back to his senses. are you trying to take a step back so as to keep the friendship?

It's really hard for me not to say something to him, but yeah the friendship is more important to me than his beliefs. At the moment...

But I met the guy when he asked me about contributing to his glorious book... :shrug:

That sucks...never fun to watch!! If he was so "on-fire" against Christianity apparently it's almost no surprise he'll swing back to being "on fire" for Da Lard

This.

Some people need to have some kind of devotion in order to feel normal or "right."

I'm actually kinda like that, only with me it's causes. A few years ago it was fighting the copyfight like a good OSS nerd. Now it's fighting the TSA. Who knows what it'll be next?

If he was able to completely reverse his stance on the same issue, though, that bodes well for his eventual return to secularism. Give it some time and see what happens. Treat the topic of religion with bland disinterest around him so he knows that you're not interested in arguing and just plain don't care about faith.

I think everyone has just a little, "what if" left in them. It's the catalyst that catapults them back into religion that needs to be looked at to understand. I'd be interested to hear what event he says took him back.

I think everyone has just a little, "what if" left in them.

I truly envy the people who are 100% deconverted.

Me too, Sister Margee. I think I have come close at times, but still not there...

If you haven't seen this glorious article on the main blog, check it out! Dr. Marlene Winell is my new Lard & Slaver! Glory!

http://new.exchristian.net/2011/06/religious-trauma-syndrome-its-time-to.html

Like a dog going back to their vomit...Indoctrination based on fear can create an incredible stronghold.

I got that way by taking my time and not taking that final "leap" until my apostasy was, so to speak, fully-baked. "Bobby" probably is a little too impulsive and passionate for his own good. I agree with the other poster who suggested his ability to completely switch augurs well for his eventual return -- possibly more than once -- but ultimately for good -- to the side of reason.

• 3 weeks later...

That is unfortunate. I had to do a lot of "soul searching" and make sure I answered all the questions I had, including the silly ones. Otherwise I risked leaving for emotional reasons - which isn't quite good enough, because you can get sucked back in just as easily for emotional reasons.

Problem for me is that even if I went back, I couldn't really believe it anymore when it comes down to it. I am aware of the man made nature of God, the Bible, and everything else. I am aware of the walled garden of ignorance faith builds in your mind. The horribly misleading sense of being "open minded" when really you are very close minded. Being unable to understand simple logical concepts because your mind actively fights them so as to not conflict with your "religious truth."

I still feel weird when reading bible verses on facebook statuses and such. I remember what it was like to be so sure, so comfortable, so confident... so "happy."

• 4 weeks later...

Like a dog going back to their vomit...Indoctrination based on fear can create an incredible stronghold.

This. There are moments that fear seems indelibly more powerful than love, freedom or rationale.

Brother Jeff, can you speak to what caused this friend's initial deconversion? I'm curious about the various reasons people leave their faith and the enduring strength each reason carries. I'm like others here who've commented about leaving for intellectual reasons and aside from god or jebus showing their face in the sky for the whole world to see (would have to be seen by everyone, if it were just me I'd march my happy butt to the psych ward) I cannot see any good reason to ever again believe the unbelievable.

One of my Facebook friends who was going to publish an anti-Christian book called "Christian Controversy" recently got sucked back into the evil, life-destroying cult. Not sure how he got hooked back in, but it's painful to watch and I hope he comes back to his senses soon. He's on a religious high right now and is posting Christian BS such as bible verses to his status, which is... very annoying. It's weird being on the other side of the fence watching someone else go through a reconversion, when it's me that's been there before while friends here watched and hoped I would come back to my senses soon -- which, of course, I always did.

My brief episodes of religious belief were the result of my struggles with mental illness. I don't know what the story is with Bobby, but I don't see his book getting published now, which sort of pisses me off since I took a lot of time to contribute to it. That time and effort is likely wasted now.

There are two groups of people in America I generally view with absolute contempt -- the goddamn Republicans and the evil cult that destroyed my life. I wish I had never heard of Christianity or the alleged "Good News".

I wish I could say something to Bobby to bring him back down to REALITY, but anything I said to him now wouldn't get through. His rational mind is currently offline. We all know how that goes... :vent:

I think most of us here saw your reconversions for what they were and always expected you would recover. But I remember how happily the members of a certain Christian forum celebrated your relapses. They wanted so badly to believe it was the real thing. :shrug:

My friend just posted this to Facebook:

Creation is filled with signs that point to the Creator.

Sigh... :ugh:

My reply:

Nope, but even it that was the case, which creator? Which of the thousands of gods mankind has created (which of course includes the god of bible) should I believe such signs point to?

I've told him that I hope he comes back to his senses soon. He claims that Christianity works well for him and he has a ministry planned. So much for his book and the time I obviously wasted contributing to it. :vent:

I think most of us here saw your reconversions for what they were and always expected you would recover. But I remember how happily the members of a certain Christian forum celebrated your relapses. They wanted so badly to believe it was the real thing. :shrug:

Ha! It's been so long now that I don't remember which forum that was. I was a member of a couple of them, and they were sad when I came back to my senses and of course they accused me in a not very loving way of "choosing to follow Satan". :rolleyes: