Goodbye Jesus

Why All The Nationalism?

lostman42

Russia is a pretty patriotic country too. For the most part, it's all just good fun for people.

Yeah, you reminded of a thing I forgot to mention: American nationalism is more arrogant than it is disturbingly scary. That is left to the Slavs. Not all of them, but I've noticed it in Russians, Serbs and Croats. Numerous examples to give, aside from the fact that there was (the last time I checked) a Nationalist party in control of the nation, Mladic is considered a hero by a big portion of Serbs, a man who was responsible for genocide. In Croatia, a man affectionally known as Ante, has statues dedicated to him in public. He too was responsible for genocide in WW2, he was effectively a Nazi puppet. It would be like Germany putting up a statue dedicated to Hitler. In Russia, from what I've read, has a lot of Neo-Nazis running about.

Last I checked, Hitler was on one's puppet.

I do agree with your sentiment though. Nationalism for people who were criminals regardless of what made them criminals is just plain fucked up.

You will note that in Australia we have Ned Kelly and Peter Lalor who are near worshipped.

The one thing I have found vastly different in Australia is that we treat our politicians like the Americans claim to want to do.

I'm not insulting Americans, just observing something.

In the USA the government is taught not to be trusted. Don't have to look far to see that.

Yet, they miss that message and don't trust the party they don't like but fanatically support the one they do.???

Hello...Don't trust any of them...

Here, we ridicule all our politicians regularly. Even if you support the party you ridicule it when they screw up.

All except the one eyed supporters but thankfully we have few of those.

Overall politicians are treated with disregard and an underlying tone of both contempt and mistrust.

Exactly what most people in the USA say they should be doing, even while putting party posters on their cars, in their lawns etc.

Weird.

American Exceptionalism is what irks me most.

How can we claim that we are better than everyone else without seeing how arrogant and childish that is?

And of course it's not true. The Romans had a pretty good little empire going but it didn't last. So did the Mongols and the early Caliphates. They've all declined and the US and Western culture will probably be overtaken sometime in the next century or two. The dominance of any culture has influenced humanity in a significant way. But no one culture is "exceptional" and greater than the rest. This attitude is the epitome of egotism and the fact that this is a major ideology in our mainstream culture is a sign that we're in decline.

from what I've read, has a lot of Neo-Nazis running about.

I've seen people mention this a lot, but I've never seen any in 7 years. There was a problem with them harassing and even killing black students when I first moved here, but I haven't read any stories about it for years. I do know the government promised to crack down on them after a couple of students were killed. So either they've gone into hiding or they've been effectively disbanded.

For the most part, Russians aren't dangerously patriotic. They also aren't overtly politically active. Most have better things to think about and do.