Goodbye Jesus

The Liberal Media?

JasonDrain

I don't know about any of you guys but I'm sick of hearing all this bitching and moaning on the part of the right about the "liberal media."

Any time there's some dissenting opinion that's promoted over what aligns with the right's ideologies they say it's due to the liberal media, the liberal media blah blah blah.

Fox News probably gets more views than any other news network. So what's all the complaining about the liberals taking over the media? Fox IS mainstream media. I'm just so sick of the whining when the claims are obviously false.

All I want is the facts. All I want is the story. I get angry when any "news" channel will show me anything other than that. If I want somebodies opinion I will look for it.

• Like 1

I think it was Steven Colbert that said, "It is well known that reality has a strong liberal bias."

JasonDrain, I completely agree with you!

A few weeks back, I made the mistake of trying to have a rational debate with a believer about his claims concerning the "liberal media."

My response to him, as a comment on his FB, was deleted within minutes of me posting it.

What did I say to earn this?

I started out by asking about motivation - why would the media feel the need to have a liberal bias?

And I answered the question by saying that it did that in order to counter the right wing media bias out there. (How often do we hear the BS that the US was founded as a christian nation, and that people who are trying to impose their moral view on others are simply trying to "take the country back for god?" WTF!)

I also pointed out that, looking back over time, the media had played a HUGE role in advancing the causes of women's rights, rights for blacks and rights for gay people (I am gay, but didn't make that point in the comment). I said that these advances in civil rights had often come IN SPITE OF the church, rather than because the church was trying to help anyone. I then made the very "ouch" point that often the church is in the role of persecutor, and the "liberal media" is standing up for the oppressed rather than the church, which loves to think of itself as standing up for those who do not have a voice.

After he deleted my comment, I realised what mentality I was dealing with and deleted him from my FB. We weren't close anyway and it just seemed like it would be too much effort to have a wrestling match with him about the fact that I am who I am and I aint gonna change for him or anyone else!

Everybody likes to play the victim. I dunno if it's cultural or if it's 'human nature'. Either way, it's a damned effective political tool. Hell, it's a significant component of MOST political movements.

In this day and age you can find news with any slant you want. Seems like a moot point to me.

• Like 1

The media is the public airwaves which we in America have given away at firesale prices to private corporations. That is PRIVATE corporations. When is the last time you heard of a private corporation having a bias towards anything except maximizing profit? Librul includes the idea that the public might benefit in some way - however trivial. But we sawed off that branch of logic way back in the 20th century when we decided to commit societal suicide by making business ideology our true god. On your knees chillun...start prayin before reality trumps your fantasies....

JasonDrain, I completely agree with you!

A few weeks back, I made the mistake of trying to have a rational debate with a believer about his claims concerning the "liberal media."

My response to him, as a comment on his FB, was deleted within minutes of me posting it.

What did I say to earn this?

I started out by asking about motivation - why would the media feel the need to have a liberal bias?

And I answered the question by saying that it did that in order to counter the right wing media bias out there. (How often do we hear the BS that the US was founded as a christian nation, and that people who are trying to impose their moral view on others are simply trying to "take the country back for god?" WTF!)

I also pointed out that, looking back over time, the media had played a HUGE role in advancing the causes of women's rights, rights for blacks and rights for gay people (I am gay, but didn't make that point in the comment). I said that these advances in civil rights had often come IN SPITE OF the church, rather than because the church was trying to help anyone. I then made the very "ouch" point that often the church is in the role of persecutor, and the "liberal media" is standing up for the oppressed rather than the church, which loves to think of itself as standing up for those who do not have a voice.

After he deleted my comment, I realised what mentality I was dealing with and deleted him from my FB. We weren't close anyway and it just seemed like it would be too much effort to have a wrestling match with him about the fact that I am who I am and I aint gonna change for him or anyone else!

This is the way of the Conservative.

Now there are exceptions I guess, but I'm sure it's especially hard for you to deal with the bias against homosexuality, which is of course common to the vast majority of the right.

I also think that in addition to your point about the media playing a huge role in advancing women's rights and such, it needs to pointed out that liberals in general were the ones advancing these rights!

Liberals have played a huge part in many of the revolutions throughout history in Europe that caused democracy to supercede monarchy.

All I want is the facts. All I want is the story. I get angry when any "news" channel will show me anything other than that. If I want somebodies opinion I will look for it.

I wouldn't mind it if the clearly biased channels such as MSNBC and Fox weren't claiming to be fair and honest. It's a pretty apparent fact that if you want the real story you're going to have to do some searching on your own.

This is funny, because the only news station I ever hear actually getting made fun of is Fox News.

This is funny, because the only news station I ever hear actually getting made fun of is Fox News.

John Stewart of the Daily Show makes fun of CNN and other networks all the time.

He has field days with FOX because they're so contentious with him. But the other networks get their fair share of lampooning as well.

John Stewart of the Daily Show makes fun of CNN and other networks all the time.

He has field days with FOX because they're so contentious with him. But the other networks get their fair share of lampooning as well.

What I remember of Fox, they fit into the Poe's Law category where you can't distinguish between them and satire. Clearly all media is biased, especially in the US, but Fox is yellow journalism on 'roids, or ironed and pressed talk radio.

We should have open season on media so they won't overpopulate.

• Like 1

I am old enough to remember ‘journalism’ on the news. Today a newscast counts itself as fair and balanced when they have two talking heads on screaming at each other with opposing views. I grew up in LA in the 1960’s and 1970’s and a young adult in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 1980’s. Back then news budgets allowed them to do “Investigative Reporting.” They actually investigated story and provided you with FACTS that often showed who was lying or stretching the truth.

And for the record, MSNBC never claims to be fair and balanced. The news commentary shows I watch often remind their viewers they have a left leaning perspective. (Rachel Maddow does all the time). At least they are honest about it.

• Like 1

Everybody likes to play the victim. I dunno if it's cultural or if it's 'human nature'.

Whatever it is, it's certainly the basis of Christianity.

I want Ron Burgandy to be my news reporter.

262117_10100271593092742_68130487_48366420_7883855_n.jpg

I don't even watch the news anymore because its just a bunch of grown adults acting like children and pointing finger/complaining about other news stations.

I don't know about any of you guys but I'm sick of hearing all this bitching and moaning on the part of the right about the "liberal media."

Any time there's some dissenting opinion that's promoted over what aligns with the right's ideologies they say it's due to the liberal media, the liberal media blah blah blah.

Fox News probably gets more views than any other news network. So what's all the complaining about the liberals taking over the media? Fox IS mainstream media. I'm just so sick of the whining when the claims are obviously false.

Exactly. What they mean by "liberal media" is "any news organization that does not completely nut hug republicans and actually points out policy flaws, failings and contradictions of anyone on the right."

And you're right, Fox is mainstream. It's the most viewed news source for politics, so these people are just fucking idiot sheep repeating what their right wing media gods keep saying.

They're just angry that any news source would dare to destroy their fantasy of perfect right wing politics.

• Like 1

And for the record, MSNBC never claims to be fair and balanced. The news commentary shows I watch often remind their viewers they have a left leaning perspective. (Rachel Maddow does all the time). At least they are honest about it.

Well yeah that's true, I was just talking about that little "lean forward" slogan they have. That just irritates me, it's so obvious they're left leaning so why not just ditch the slogan?

Well there are plenty of people on the right who criticize the left. And the only reason the left isn't satirized as much as the right is because Fox is a bit more ridiculous than any liberal media outlet, Fox has had Glenn Beck, and there aren't really any mainstream satirists who are conservatives.

Exactly. What they mean by "liberal media" is "any news organization that does not completely nut hug republicans and actually points out policy flaws, failings and contradictions of anyone on the right."

And you're right, Fox is mainstream. It's the most viewed news source for politics, so these people are just fucking idiot sheep repeating what their right wing media gods keep saying.

They're just angry that any news source would dare to destroy their fantasy of perfect right wing politics.

I think the main problem with politics in America is due to the blind allegiance of the masses to their respective political parties. If people started looking at issues from a personal standpoint instead of from the perspective of a Republican or Conservative we would have a more healthy political system.

Also, I think it's important not to conflate the terms Liberal and Democrat and Conservative and Republican.

While in American pop culture they're usually synonymous, this isn't true one hundred percent of the time.

I would refer to myself as an independent but I am certainly left leaning. However, that doesn't mean I agree with the Democratic party on every issue.

Politicians are tied down by their constituency and their parties. I wish that instead of going with the majority everyone would make up their own mind.

• Like 1