Goodbye Jesus

Medical Centers Run By Religious Organizations...

8gr8cats

I have always had the food fortune to be relatively healthy. Back in May I herniated a disc in my lumbar area of my back. My primary physician who I like very much goes to a Catholic Hospital if you need to be hospitalized. July 5th I couldn't even stand- I was in excruciating pain that felt like someone had applied a taser gun to my back... so off I went in an ambulance to this Catholic Hospital. I was there from July 5th- July 8th and they ran numerous tests and decided I needed to be moved to a sub-acute rehab center to be able to walk etc... The entire time in the hospital I was not approached by anyone religious at all.

Every single rehab facility which was not run by the Catholic Health system was full. So we decided based on the recommendation of the social worker- discharge person that I would go to Father Baker Manor is was there from 7/8-715. Father Baker died 75 years ago and is being considered for Sainthood. This means that they have to prove he did miracles- both during his lifetime and posthumously. This is a really BIG deal in the Western New York area and it is frequently on the news every time a nun comes forward and says he cured her disease by her praying to him. I figured if they came into my room I would just state that I was NOT religious and send them on their merry way....

One afternoon this "deacon" comes in and asks me why I was there... I was on some heavy duty pain meds- and I should have asked him WHY that was any of his business... I tend to be chatty and I explained about my back and why I was there. His next question was did I have kids and I said YES- all adults- all married except for my son who is gay- but now he and his fiance are able to marry legally in NY. This guy's expression went very sour and he asked how I felt about that. I told him I was THRILLED that all 4 of my kids now had equal rights under the law. Well he said- we should really talk about that... and I assured him that NOTHING he could say would change my opinion. Next he asked how I was raised- ( the Catholic population in our area is dwindling rapidly) I said- I was INDOCTRINATED as a Catholic as a child... so he said well he'd put me down as Catholic and I said- OH NO- Put me down as Atheist- no religion. I was divorced and the church rejected me and I reject what the church stands for these days. WELL his next one was- WELL there are no atheists in foxholes... So original and NOW he's red faced and pissed. He stood up and said that he thought I felt that way because GOD had not answered my prayers... I said- I don't pray to a god I don't believe one exists. He said we should take about that some time... I said- please don't come back- period... and he huffed off...

NOW- Just because someone is in a medical care facility- do we have to have someone enter our space- as we are recuperating from an illness if we are NOT interested in their "Spiritual Care". Shouldn't we be asked if we would like to have a visit from a priest, deacon, nun whatever? I have a copy of this guy's propaganda. I am going to contact their Manager of the facility and complain about this and some other things that were not quality health care...Has anyone else had this happen? Would it behoove me to find a doctor who doesn't go to a Catholic Hospital?

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Carm

If you voluntarily went to a catholic hospital, then what they did makes sense.

It's like going to a daycare thats in a church and being offended when they talk to you about jesus. Religious freedom doesn't extend to religious institutions, brah.

According to the new HIPPA regulations all aspects of a persons reason for admission and care are protected.You should have your legal counsel(or yourself with him/her undersigned) write them a letter stating your position and recount the events. Then any further intrusion will be considered against the law. In Alabama admissions is required to ask if the patient wants to be visited OR NOT be the clergy.

And the next time someone throws the athesist in foxholes crack at you,remind them of Pat Tillman the secial forces/pro football player killed in the war!!Killed by friendly fire no less!!

After our second miscarriage, my wife was in St. Mary's for a D & C. Every little room had a little brass Jesus-on-a-cross thingy hanging on the wall, maybe six inches long. My wife and I were bored during the recovery period, so to cheer her up I took down Jesus and started buzzing her with it, making little airplane noises. Nroooom! Nrooooom! I'll never forget the shocked look on my wife's face. She said, "Damn it, Rob, you're going to get us kicked out of here! Put Jesus back on the wall right now!"

That was the only cool part of that day.

• Like 3

My wife and I were bored during the recovery period, so to cheer her up I took down Jesus and started buzzing her with it, making little airplane noises. Nroooom! Nrooooom! I'll never forget the shocked look on my wife's face. She said, "Damn it, Rob, you're going to get us kicked out of here! Put Jesus back on the wall right now!"

The south NEEDS more teachers like you!!! Funny as hell!! :D

After our second miscarriage, my wife was in St. Mary's for a D & C. Every little room had a little brass Jesus-on-a-cross thingy hanging on the wall, maybe six inches long. My wife and I were bored during the recovery period, so to cheer her up I took down Jesus and started buzzing her with it, making little airplane noises. Nroooom! Nrooooom! I'll never forget the shocked look on my wife's face. She said, "Damn it, Rob, you're going to get us kicked out of here! Put Jesus back on the wall right now!"

That was the only cool part of that day.

:lmao:

I'm just struggling with the concept of a religious hospital..... It would never occur to me that my health care would have anything to do with religion and I'd have been very uncomfortable in your situation!

After our second miscarriage, my wife was in St. Mary's for a D & C. Every little room had a little brass Jesus-on-a-cross thingy hanging on the wall, maybe six inches long. My wife and I were bored during the recovery period, so to cheer her up I took down Jesus and started buzzing her with it, making little airplane noises. Nroooom! Nrooooom! I'll never forget the shocked look on my wife's face. She said, "Damn it, Rob, you're going to get us kicked out of here! Put Jesus back on the wall right now!"That was the only cool part of that day.

:HaHa:

I'm just struggling with the concept of a religious hospital..... It would never occur to me that my health care would have anything to do with religion and I'd have been very uncomfortable in your situation!

Around here 99 out of 100 hospitals start with 'Saint'.

WELL his next one was- WELL there are no atheists in foxholes... So original and NOW he's red faced and pissed.

I was watching AotS on G4 earlier today (I don't usually watch...it must have been divine intervention as you'll see) and Penn (of Penn & Teller) was on pimping his soon to be released atheist book "God, No!" During the interview the "atheists in foxholes" things is brought up (I don't recall how) and he says that there are only atheists in foxholes. The reason being that if these people truly trusted their god to protect them they wouldn't be hiding in holes praying but up and about not worrying about all those bullets whizzing around. But that's not the case. They're hiding down with non-believers.

mwc

• Like 1

I sorry to hear of your experience. I'm surprised the priest didn't at least try to hold back the cunt factor even a little considering you're sick and in hospital. I think his attitude was really disappointing and a complaint to management would be a great step.

I can relate. Although this has never happened to me, my wife is in nursing school getting her BS. She is attending King college in Bristol because it is the closest that offers the program. It is also a Christian School. She tells me they have to pray before every class, read from the bible, talk about their spirituality, and most of the assignments she brings home have to do with some type of religeous mumbo jumbo. She complains about it quite a bit but I tell her to just look at it this way, she is getting her degree, she will be done with it shortly, and these dumb, blind xtians will never know they helped an athiest finish school.