Goodbye Jesus

Are people who own parrots weird???

pandora

Ok, so I know I am weird... but in Spanish class the other day, the teacher was asking us what pets we own and I said I owned parrots. The class snickered and whispered to eachother... what's the deal??? It is considered eccentric or something??

I do know of a Mark Twain quote (I think it was him who said this)

She is neither refined or unrefined... she keeps a parrot.

:HaHa:

I forgot the other things I was gonna say... on that Trading Spouses show last night (while they were showing previews) they showed a woman with an Amazon. She had trained it to give a high five and that is what they showed... and the narrator was talking about "eccentric" moms.

I am not sure I get it... oh well.

Anyways, I want to hear the truth about what you guys think. Maybe I am just out of the loop as a parrot owner, ya know?

I think people who laugh at parrot-owners are weird. Parrots are very

intelligent animals. Did they think you were Bluebeard or something?

lol

You should show them your avatar...

Guest Challenger

I've owned rats, mice, hamsters, hermit crabs, frogs, turtles and a rabbit with deformed back legs (poor bunny couldn't hop straight).

I haven't owned a parrot but friends of mine used to raise tropical birds. Parrots are cool. More power to you, Pandora!

LOL I have no idea. I look nothing like a pirate. I just thought it was odd... I guess most people don't realize how intelligent they are. They require more upkeep and interaction than a dog, in my opinion... but unfortunately, most people don't give their parrots the interaction or care they need. Cockatiels and budgies aren't as demaning, but just as much fun... ;)

LOL I have no idea.  I look nothing like a pirate.      I just thought it was odd... I guess most people don't realize how intelligent they are.    They require more upkeep and interaction than a dog, in my opinion... but unfortunately, most people don't give their parrots the interaction or care they need.  Cockatiels and budgies aren't as demaning, but just as much fun... ;)

101154[/snapback]

Yeah, from what I've heard, they really do require a lot of attention.

BTW, now that Khan's mentioned it, what is that parrot doing in your

:lol:

Teeheee.... Odo likes to play on his back. My husband was drinking a Mike's when Odo decided to plop down next to the bottle on his back. I thought it looked like he was drunk, so I snapped a pic. Of course, he didn't really have any alcohol... but I am curious as to what a drunk Dusky Conure acts like. ;)

Teeheee.... Odo likes to play on his back.  My husband was drinking a Mike's when Odo decided to plop down next to the bottle on his back.  I thought it looked like he was drunk, so I snapped a pic.  Of course, he didn't really have any alcohol... but I am curious as to what a drunk Dusky Conure acts like.  ;)

101171[/snapback]

Odo? Do I detect a DS9 reference here? :)

Teeheee.... Odo likes to play on his back.  My husband was drinking a Mike's when Odo decided to plop down next to the bottle on his back.  I thought it looked like he was drunk, so I snapped a pic.  Of course, he didn't really have any alcohol... but I am curious as to what a drunk Dusky Conure acts like.  ;)

101171[/snapback]

Odo? Do I detect a DS9 reference here? :)

101175[/snapback]

Yep. ;)

Odo is the shapeshifter (as you know). My experience with conures is that they were finicky (I had a sun conure in the past) and fickle, so I thought that this one would be as well.

I was wrong though... Odo's species is a lot calmer and gentle than the other conures. Oh well. The name stuck because I can call him Dodo now. ;)

Cool! And it does make for a neat parrot name!

:grin:

I do not know if this has anything to do with anything, but occationally I listen to Tom Likus, he made a big deal out of people who own birds were attention wh*res.

Please note this is not what I said, but what Tom Likus said. I always wanted a Cockatoo but they are so expensive to keep.

Tim who?

Attention whore... hmm, maybe a little on the internet but definitely not in real life!

I owned a parakeet once, and I'm weird. ;)

But I wouldn't laugh at anyone for owning a parrot. Maybe there was a bird flu joke going around?

What the? I don't think I've ever known anyone who had a parrot. But um... no offence, but I think your classmates sound like dingbats. I don't see why it's so humourous to them. I think it's interesting you have parrots. How immature are they? I'm really at a loss to explain why they're giggly over PARROTS. People will make fun of anything, I guess. :scratch:

And ooh, I haven't seen much of DS9, but I think Odo is my favourite from that show!

I love Spanish.

pandora,

I never knew that they were intelligent so that sorta changes my perspective. I don't think it's any weirder than owning any kind of pet. I'm just not a pet person. But I think most people are, so you can't be weird for it.

Peace,

GiantBear

my grandma used to keep a shit load of exotic birds. had a whole room of her house filled with various birdcages.

Nothing wrong with owning a parot. Very smart, cool pets, and they taste pretty damn good too.

Used to have a parakeet as a kid...kinda a wussy parot, does that count?

Nothing wrong with owning a parot.  Very smart, cool pets, and they taste pretty damn good too. 

Used to have a parakeet as a kid...kinda a wussy parot, does that count?

101391[/snapback]

Um... what do they taste like? I knew some aborigine tribes (sp?) ate budgies, but who eats the big ones? :(

Budgies count. They can actually talk more than my conure can and they are pretty good at figuring out toys.. it is just that most pet shops and breeders don't bother to socialize them so they are wild. Parrots imprint like ducks, this is why some of them can be so bonded to humans but others seem stupid.

By the way, I got a new toy for Odo tonight. It has different colored blocks that are inside of it. There are holes the shapes of the blocks on the outside that are big enough for a beak to reach in... kind of like a shape-teaching toy for toddlers. Odo figured it out within minutes! He had several of the blocks out and had figured out how to put them back in after an hour or two. I am so proud! ;)

I'm scared of parrots. Probably cause one bit me as a kid. :eek:

Those huge, hooked beaks keep me on edge.

I never had any experience with parrots until my friend Jenny got one - fascinating animals, and yes they require much attention and when they don't get it they get upset and become very loud. Once she asked me to take care of her parrot, Wolfgang, when she went on vacation; I changed his water and put in food and locked the doors to the dishes, and he immediately began banging the water dish, picking it up and letting it drop. I went over and found that I had incorrectly placed the padlocks back on the doors and he could have easily pushed them open and walked out of the cage, instead of which pointed out my mistake to me. He also like pizza and will hold a slice just like humans do. Final thought: who would want a pet that 'normal' people approve of?

Kyle

There is nothing weird about owning a parrot.

That is all.