Goodbye Jesus

Dealing with Homophobic Christians

Amethyst

So I was talking on the phone to this lady, who is a member of this writer's group that I go to. We got to talking about TV shows and she brings up Will and Grace, and is like "well I don't want to see 2 lesbians kissing. Do you?"

I'm like "They were born that way. They can't help it. What's the difference between 2 guys or 2 girls or a girl and a guy? There's no difference."

She says "Well, I don't agree. Do you want to see 2 guys kissing?"

I'm like "If it's part of their character, I don't care. I'm not discriminatory. Besides, the science has pretty much proven that they can't help it."

She's like "I don't agree."

I said, "I really don't want to argue about this right now," and that seemed to work. But...argh! Why in the bloody hell can these people not accept science? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just sheer bigotry to say "ooh, it's icky, and I don't like it." They are so brainwashed that they can't see that.

:vent:

... *looks around for a look around smiley* :Look: Most Christians are this way. I honestly do not know what the probleme is, it isn't like I want to see a straight couple kissing in the mall either but it doesn't realy bother me.

And, may I ask, has she ever watched Will and Grace? I find that most people who think that things like this are disgusting often have no experience with the subject they are talking about.

For instance, I have kissed a guy before. Wasn't my thing, so I'm pretty sure I'm not gay. I didn't feel extremely wrong about, it just didn't strike me the way my fiancee does.

*Looks for a fundy to bash over the head with a milk bottle*

-Jake

I honestly do not know what the probleme is, it isn't like I want to see a straight couple kissing in the mall either but it doesn't realy bother me.

It's just rather annoying that she turned out to be a bigot.

And, may I ask, has she ever watched Will and Grace? I find that most people who think that things like this are disgusting often have no experience with the subject they are talking about.

Apparently she has. It was what she didn't like about it.

I know exactly what you mean! I get frustrated over the ignorance too.

On another board, there is a discussion about the proposition up for vote in Texas..the marriage one.

One knothead comes in with "One nation under GOD!! With liberty and justice for all"..then goes on to bash everyone who isn't "Christian" and "nongay"..

He couldn't see the conflict in his statements..I pointed out, colorfully(that is, in purple and bold and big :HaHa: ) the part about liberty and justice FOR ALL...

Of course, he only meant that part for the fundamental christian right wing..it will make no impact at all. This is the same person who thinks all gays, atheists, pagans, muslems..in other words, anyone who is not fundie, should be taken out of the USA and their citizenship revoked.. :twitch:

Yep and I love where you pointed it out in LARGE purple...I came in right behind ya on there .... :HaHa:

I'd be curious how she would have replied had you answered her question about wanting to see lesbians kissing with a, "oooh, yeah - that's hot!"

Of course, it'd have been funnier in person just to see her face. Would lose its punch over the phone.

I'd be curious how she would have replied had you answered her question about wanting to see lesbians kissing with a, "oooh, yeah - that's hot!"

Of course, it'd have been funnier in person just to see her face.  Would lose its punch over the phone.

101552[/snapback]

I'm sure she would have replied "ick."

The thing is, I'm doing a website for this lady, who is completely technically illiterate. So it pisses me off that she turned out to be prejudiced. I realize she's brainwashed like 99% of Americans, but still, it's really disappointing.

She's a good writer. Even she ought to realize that it's possible to write a book like the Bible that is fiction. But apparently she's too blind to see that.

I remember when showing a black person and white person kissing would upset some people's stomachs and get the phones at the TV station ringing.

But I would have just answered such a person that it doesn't bother me.

101385[/snapback]

You gotta call a spade a spade.

Next time she gay-bashes, tell her simply that she is a bigot and that's it. End of discussion.

There is no room for debate on the subject no matter if a person is gay from birth or chooses to be gay, and more than that, what does it matter? Really?

One can not be made gay because of the air transmission, if that was the case we'd either be all gay or all straight, depending on the concentration of gay or straight ion's in the ether that day.

Having grown up in a homophobic family, encouraged by a homophobic religion, there was a stage in my life when the thought of seeing a gay couple kiss seemed bad bad bad. I find it hard to acknowledge this sometimes now ~ and almost impossible to comprehend that I was ever this indoctinated ... but I was. And it outlasted my childhood as well,

I married into the last great secular bastion of homophobia ~ the British army and these views stuck around for the first part of my adult life ... gradually my eyes were opened and those old bigoted views were challenged ~ I owe so much to the first few people who tackled my thinking about sexuality.

101385[/snapback]

You gotta call a spade a spade.

Next time she gay-bashes, tell her simply that she is a bigot and that's it. End of discussion.

There is no room for debate on the subject no matter if a person is gay from birth or chooses to be gay, and more than that, what does it matter? Really?

One can not be made gay because of the air transmission, if that was the case we'd either be all gay or all straight, depending on the concentration of gay or straight ion's in the ether that day.

102022[/snapback]

How about it's NONE of their fucking business?

These people are probably afraid to touch their own body and pleasure themselves.

Most activities are done 'behind closed doors', and they're so shocked when someone gets 'caught' and exposed. As if it was never going on. Out of sight, out of mind.

We're all bozos on this bus. Some of us see the humor in it, others just buy the lie.