Goodbye Jesus

Still Paying For The Lies...literally

RunawayBride

Sobering irony: I'm still paying student loans for my overpriced, over-zealous, delusional theological degree from a deranged University. Every single time I drop that huge chunk of money, knowing I was lied to, the only thought on my mind is a lawsuit. I was sold snake-oil and I'm STILL paying for it!!

Isn't there some sort of "deconversion clause" in that goddamn loan contract?? Can I cease payments for a degree that actually prevents me from obtaining a job?? Delusions and ignorance is making Sallie Mae very rich. What a fucking expensive mistake.

Don't know if you could pull it off, but that would be a hell of an interesting law suit. If you get xians on your jury, you'd pretty much be fucked though.

You went to Deranged Christian University? I went to Deluded Theological Seminary myself just before the Evil Empire of Texas fundamentalism took over and a cloud of darkness, ignorance and nonsense completely engulfed the place.

I think all areas of study can have a payoff for anyone if they apply it strategically. Unfortunately, the payoff may not be economic in nature.

I know my career and prospects for personal prosperity were greatly hindered because of my detour into the "ministry." I've regretted it ever since deconversion.

I can't imagine. I'd feel cheated in so many ways.

Yeppers, same here, went to a fundyland seminary school. It was about the time I left the church so I did not have too much money invested in it.

I can see why you are angry. We spent a lot of years building a church and stuff and that was pretty much a waste too.

I can see why you are angry. We spent a lot of years building a church and stuff and that was pretty much a waste too.

You build a church? I'd suspect that was far more expensive than my current $40K loan balance. How did you walk away from such an expensive venture (not to mention, faith in general)? Are you still in debt because of it?

You build a church? I'd suspect that was far more expensive than my current $40K loan balance. How did you walk away from such an expensive venture (not to mention, faith in general)? Are you still in debt because of it?

It is such a long story I'm not even sure how to answer that, We don't have much personal debt in the form of bills that we are still paying but we lost a lot of wage earning years for sure.

I am writing a book that I have the second draft done. I am not sure how to publish it but I am looking into it. I will not be publishing it under my own name but I will probably post a link to it under a pen name out here. I want to talk to a lawyer about liability issues etc. before I do that.

But anyway, I understand the feelings of loss and having to pay past leaving.

that must be painful to lay down that money. but i really dont think a sucesful law suit would be practical on that subject no matter how detramental to ex christians it is.

that must be painful to lay down that money. but i really dont think a sucesful law suit would be practical on that subject no matter how detramental to ex christians it is.

Nah, I wouldn't literally wage a lawsuit. I just think about it. I suppose once I'm a little further along in my process, I'll begin to see the value of my religious education. But for now, it's a monthly reminder of my "former" sad, lost, self.

Wow, I would feel emotionally raped every time I had to write a studen loan check to a seminary school.

I reread this and realized I didn't say that the book is about my past:

I am writing a book that I have the second draft done. I am not sure how to publish it but I am looking into it. I will not be publishing it under my own name but I will probably post a link to it under a pen name out here. I want to talk to a lawyer about liability issues etc. before I do that.

Otherwise the statement seemed pretty random.

Nah, I wouldn't literally wage a lawsuit. I just think about it. I suppose once I'm a little further along in my process, I'll begin to see the value of my religious education. But for now, it's a monthly reminder of my "former" sad, lost, self.

I think you have a legitimate tort claim. You were sold a bill of goods that has no merit or practical purpose through coercion and manipulation. The problem is the practicalities of proving this. It would be a landmark case if someone took the time and spent the money to build it and then got a fair-minded jury to hear it. Probabilities are not on your side, but I think the law is.

The implication was clear to me. But you might work on the first sentence in the quote. It's a little awkward Ms writer. :P

A lawsuit like that would be epic. Deconstructing the indoctrination would be an inevitable part of the proceedings and absolutley music to ears like ours. It would also get people who otherwise wouldn't to confront the issue of the fraudulent nature of religion in a formal sense.

You guys who have been screwed like this should band together your collective efforts and sentiments and make some sort of big legal stint about this sort of thing. Get it to make the headlines and get people talking/thinking. It's clearly an emotionally touching thing. No harm in using that to reach other humans too.

I can only imagine (in horror) what they must "teach" in seminaries and bible "colleges." I'm a university student and am always on guard to take what I learn for what it is and how it came about. How does the word "education" fit into a curriculum that requires you to believe in things without question?? How do they even get to use the word "education" or "university" or "school" with regard to these places? How do they manage to make-up years of "study" when it all pertains to the same book? Shouldn't people just reading the bible be enough? Or do they teach you how to be the most compartmentalized "thinker" possible?

$40,000?? Fuck. A four year program at my real university may not even rack up that much. The price of education feels like a scam to me as it is; at least mine is honest. Having to pay this much for dishonest "education" would make my blood boil. Not to mention the prospects for jobs with this kind of training seem kind of....narrow.

The implication was clear to me. But you might work on the first sentence in the quote. It's a little awkward Ms writer. :P

Have you ever heard about Muphry's Law, Mr. Vigile?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

:HaHa:

Sobering irony: I'm still paying student loans for my overpriced, over-zealous, delusional theological degree from a deranged University. Every single time I drop that huge chunk of money, knowing I was lied to, the only thought on my mind is a lawsuit. I was sold snake-oil and I'm STILL paying for it!!

Isn't there some sort of "deconversion clause" in that goddamn loan contract?? Can I cease payments for a degree that actually prevents me from obtaining a job?? Delusions and ignorance is making Sallie Mae very rich. What a fucking expensive mistake.

If those are federal student loans in the USA you could put them on 'hold' by going back to college to become something more useful like say, a lawyer which could help you find other ways to infinitely delay paying back those loans. Or you could tell the loan place you need a forebearance due to this shitty economy sucking all your money for other stuff like food and housing. It is easy to get a forebearance these days.

Or you could be devious and dishonest and start a church! Lots of money can be made in this profession and does it really matter if you are a believer or not? No. But one time you were a believer, so would this really be dishonest? hmmmm.

Another possibility of late seems to be professors of history or religion who are experts in theology but write books with an atheist slant. Use that degree knowledge to write a book to refute xianity.

But don't feel too bad. People get degrees all the time that they end up having no interest in anymore because their interest has changed. It happens. :)

Have you ever heard about Muphry's Law, Mr. Vigile?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

:HaHa:

Yup, it would be a horror of horrors if my posts are held up to grammatical scrutiny. I was just teasing her though.

Same boat, still paying for a shitty "education" that I'll never use. Good thing that I wasn't in college for too long. It would sucked a whole lot more if I actually finished my "degree". TBH, I'm more pissed about the money I tithed than anything else.

Yup, it would be a horror of horrors if my posts are held up to grammatical scrutiny. I was just teasing her though.

I know. I just saw my chance of picking on you :poke: and use Muphry's law for once. :HaHa:

Har har. I can get pretty sloppy on forums. :) Cause I fel like it.lmao_99.gif

Runaway...

Hey, it has to be a tough situation. If you don't mind....approximately how much money do you owe? I may have at least a partial solution.... :scratch:

NIMBY, BO. :)

A lawsuit is an interesting idea, but from a practical standpoint, this is a country in which you and I are forced, under threat of incarceration, to subsidize the spread of this deranged delusion by ponying up extra money out of our own pockets to cover the church's share of the taxes that they're exempted from paying.

Runaway...

Hey, it has to be a tough situation. If you don't mind....approximately how much money do you owe? I may have at least a partial solution.... :scratch:

Not what you're thinking. I will lay it out here...

Depending upon how much is owed, if you have a credit card, charge off the student loan debt onto the credit card debt. Then IMMEDIATELY see if you can roll the lesser amount of the student loan onto a loan with smaller payments and double up on the payments. You will have a big credit card debt but you can then bankrupt the credit card debt and you cannot a direct student loan. Even if you cannot pay the whole thing off you at least have cut your debt down by a hefty amount. As young as she is, her credit will be clear in a few years and within 10 years the bankruptcy will be off her credit report. With the economy the way it is, there are going to be MASSIVE numbers of bankruptcies in this country. You will just be a face in a huge crowd. Now...this is dirty but if worse comes to worse...that is an option.

I think it is a sensible idea at least from the standpoint of putting your debt on a credit card especially if you can get a 0% card or a less percentage than your student loans. As far as the bankruptcy, that would have to be a last resort for someone, but I think it's dirty the way they don't allow bankruptcy for student loans for people who need it. I am not for bankruptcy, but the government shouldn't pick and choose IMO. So, for someone in dire straits, I get it.

Runaway...

Not what you're thinking. I will lay it out here...

Depending upon how much is owed, if you have a credit card, charge off the student loan debt onto the credit card debt. Then IMMEDIATELY see if you can roll the lesser amount of the student loan onto a loan with smaller payments and double up on the payments. You will have a big credit card debt but you can then bankrupt the credit card debt and you cannot a direct student loan. Even if you cannot pay the whole thing off you at least have cut your debt down by a hefty amount. As young as she is, her credit will be clear in a few years and within 10 years the bankruptcy will be off her credit report. With the economy the way it is, there are going to be MASSIVE numbers of bankruptcies in this country. You will just be a face in a huge crowd. Now...this is dirty but if worse comes to worse...that is an option.

I think it is a sensible idea at least from the standpoint of putting your debt on a credit card especially if you can get a 0% card or a less percentage than your student loans. As far as the bankruptcy, that would have to be a last resort for someone, but I think it's dirty the way they don't allow bankruptcy for student loans for people who need it. I am not for bankruptcy, but the government shouldn't pick and choose IMO. So, for someone in dire straits, I get it.

Burnedout - Thanks for the advice...it's certainly a possibility if I get desperate (or pissed) enough to be drastic. I owe about $40K for my fundy undergrad degree. **shedding a tear** Currently, I can afford the hefty payments but it prevents me from doing many other things, like saving a down payment to buy my own place. Goddamn it!!!