Goodbye Jesus

Former Adventists

notaxtian

Before registering I used to read posts on another website created for former adventists. The posters no longer attend church on Saturday, but they still believe in God. They no longer believe that they should keep the Sabbath in order to get to Heaven. They say that they "rest in Jesus" or something like that. Even though I still read their posts occasionally because I can relate to what they went through, I get uncomfortable when they start quoting scriptures. I'm sure they mean well, but I don't share their christian views. When I read posts on this website, I felt a lot better because people shared views similar to mine. Are there any former adventists in these forums that decided to leave christianity?

Glad you have found a place to interact where you feel comfortable. :) Sometimes we have to divide our time in more than one circle to get our needs met.

I'm not a former adventists, but welcome to the site!

Phanta

I'm a former Catholic,7th Day Adventist,and non-denominational evangelical. :phew: I was an Adventist for a number of years, and was even employed by them. It was quite an eye-opening experience that I wouldn't wish to repeat. The former Adventists you speak of concluded that the Sabbath rest was the spiritual rest Salvation provides from our own works. For those Adventists who were born into the religion, it would be difficult to leave since it's like a subculture.

I'm a former Catholic,7th Day Adventist,and non-denominational evangelical. :phew: I was an Adventist for a number of years, and was even employed by them. It was quite an eye-opening experience that I wouldn't wish to repeat. The former Adventists you speak of concluded that the Sabbath rest was the spiritual rest Salvation provides from our own works. For those Adventists who were born into the religion, it would be difficult to leave since it's like a subculture.

You are right, it IS a subculture. It is a tight-knit, isolated group that has its own schools, hospitals, bookstores, etc. Some people consider adventism a cult. One former adventist website that I visit often has several posters who were Adventists longer than I have been alive. They will tell you that it is INDEED a cult.

You are right, it IS a subculture. It is a tight-knit, isolated group that has its own schools, hospitals, bookstores, etc. Some people consider adventism a cult. One former adventist website that I visit often has several posters who were Adventists longer than I have been alive. They will tell you that it is INDEED a cult.

After I left Adventism, I visited churches of every stripe to find a new home. Instead, I found similarities that reminded me why I left Adventism. I found legalism, dogma, doctrines over love and compassion, and closed-minded thinking throughout Protestantism. I witnessed lives shattered and a few suicides that stemmed from all of this obsessive thinking and bad behavior within the SDA church, and realized it was present in most other churches too. They are all cults, some more than others. The difference is only to what degree.

After I left Adventism, I visited churches of every stripe to find a new home. Instead, I found similarities that reminded me why I left Adventism. I found legalism, dogma, doctrines over love and compassion, and closed-minded thinking throughout Protestantism. I witnessed lives shattered and a few suicides that stemmed from all of this obsessive thinking and bad behavior within the SDA church, and realized it was present in most other churches too. They are all cults, some more than others. The difference is only to what degree.

That sounds similar to what I went through several years ago. I went to a few services on Sunday and was among "Sunday keepers", but I also saw similarities to Adventism. The only difference was that they weren't emphasizing vegetarianism(Ellen White's health message) or the "Sunday Law" which to me is a bunch of nonsense. Non-adventist family members turning you in just because you're a "Sabbath keeper" during the End Times? It's no wonder lives get shattered.

That sounds similar to what I went through several years ago. I went to a few services on Sunday and was among "Sunday keepers", but I also saw similarities to Adventism. The only difference was that they weren't emphasizing vegetarianism(Ellen White's health message)

She was known to eat shellfish occasionally, and would send little Wille to get her fried chicken! The biatch!

or the "Sunday Law" which to me is a bunch of nonsense. Non-adventist family members turning you in just because you're a "Sabbath keeper" during the End Times? It's no wonder lives get shattered.

I felt like a half-assed Jew when I really thought about what was required in the O.T.! SDAs are stuck between the O.T. and the N.T. Christians have the Lord's Day while SDAs have the Sabbath. They say it's faith that saves, but sneak in works just to cover their asses.