Goodbye Jesus

Update, A God-blessed Deconversion

bagbear

Hi Friends,

In these several months, I've made a rapid progress in an atheist circumstance. All the chaos and confusions finally ceased to bother me. Nothing remarkable to tell you, but I guess somebody maybe will be glad to hear about this: My Bible is getting moldy and I've forgotten the Lord's Prayer. Thanks God, he gave me a born talent - a poor memory, finally I use this gift to forget him. God-blessed, isn't it? So if anyone need advices, I would say, don't think too much, just forget.

Not long ago, a full set of my own philosophy(whatever you call it) emerged in my mind unexpectedly, it soon took the place of the previous Christian's theories in every aspect in my head and works very well. But from now on I won't give myself much credit in judging anything with my new norms, never, even Christianity.

Now I can say I'm totally recovered and become a strong minded apostate. Good luck to you all.

• Like 1

Thanks God, he gave me a born talent - a poor memory, finally I use this gift to forget him. God-blessed, isn't it? So if anyone need advice, I would say, don't think too much, just forget.

Interesting that you would say that. I did this without even realizing it, in part about my time in the faith and in part about a couple of clusterfucks that were going on concurrently with my deconversion. Recently, conversations with my daughter have caused me to realize I simply don't remember (at all, in some cases, or clearly and specifically, in others) many years of my life.

I'm not sure whether this is a good adaptation or not. Can you simply sweep things under the rug and not have them come back to haunt you later? In my case, I need to give my daughter closure on some things from the past that she's stuck on and I'm obliged to dredge this all up two decades after the fact. It's not pleasant. Not at all.

Thanatologists will tell you that the grieving process comes in waves when you experience a loss; they say that this is the way your subconscious spoon feeds something to you in bits and pieces that would be too enormous to absorb in one go. I suspect the mechanism is the same with any big change or adjustment. However, my intuition is that to simply disconnect and never work through it is probably not a good adaptation. Then again it seems to have mostly worked for me so far as I know ... until now. Yeesh. I hope you have better luck with it.

welcome to EX-C, lol every thing has their good sides even bad memory

Recently, conversations with my daughter have caused me to realize I simply don't remember (at all, in some cases, or clearly and specifically, in others) many years of my life.

man, I don't really remember a number of years in my old church. I really wonder if all the religious crap had an effect on my memory. It was like being on a neverending treadmill. The constant guilt trips, the constant 'striving for God' and praying all the time, going to church services three times a week plus bible studies, 'revival' meetings, church conferences, and on and on it goes. I was a just a cog in the wheel, chasing that elusive carrot on a stick that I could never get because I was never holy enough or never had enough faith.

Hmm. Sounds like you guys are "blessed" with self-cleaning minds; the garbage was flushed away to make room for new and more useful information.

• Like 1

Interesting that you would say that. I did this without even realizing it, ... ...

... ... ... ...

... ... Then again it seems to have mostly worked for me so far as I know ... until now. Yeesh. I hope you have better luck with it.

Hi Bob, thanks for your experience and advice. In my case, I did it by chance, I didn't try to cut off the connection with the past or to sweep those things out of my mind. Though my bad memory had helped me to diminish those things into a very insignificant level, I couldn't really say I was an apostate, because sometimes I needed those things to explain something happened. Like you said, they came back to haunt me sometimes.

The final nail was I suddenly found that I had already have my philosophy, a full set of it, which can explain everything and are more efficient, more close to the fact than Christian's theories. In fact, they were always there, only when Jesus figure waned in my mind I could notice them and finally activated them.

So, will those things come back again? I don't know, but I can say they have little chance, almost impossible.

Hmm. Sounds like you guys are "blessed" with self-cleaning minds; the garbage was flushed away to make room for new and more useful information.

Yeah, that's what I suspect. Memory is short, it have to keep throwing something out for new comers.