Goodbye Jesus

2 Opposing Sides Of The Story.

rocklobster

Long story short im looking for a credible source to the mythological stories of mythros, horus, and any others

that you guys have links for.

I cant seem to find the actual stories of these characters online anywhere. I want to read them for myself

and draw my own conclusion of them. only because it seems like the opposing sides always argue about

what was in the story. ex. horus was born of a virgin/ horus was not born of a virgin.

seems like one side in this arguement probably has never read the story before.

so any links would be helpful.

mythra*?

• Super Moderator

I'm no scholar on the subject, but I know there was a lot of overlap in the various myths. I think there may be some exaggeration on both sides in an effort to make a point. As usual, the facts place the truth somewhere in the middle.

My link

I just finished "Don't Know Much About Mythology" by Kenneth Davis. Good source and should be available at most libraries.

As far as I know Jews dispute that the Messiah has to be born of a virgin. The original Hebrew word in Isaiah means rather "young woman". So the Messiah the Jews expect isn't even born of a virgin.

Long story short im looking for a credible source to the mythological stories of mythros, horus, and any others

that you guys have links for.

I cant seem to find the actual stories of these characters online anywhere. I want to read them for myself

and draw my own conclusion of them. only because it seems like the opposing sides always argue about

what was in the story. ex. horus was born of a virgin/ horus was not born of a virgin.

seems like one side in this arguement probably has never read the story before.

so any links would be helpful.

Congratulations. I have personally been down this path and you're going to have quite a bit of reading ahead of you. Unlike the gospels you will not find any one-stop shop, in antiquity, for any of these others. Most of what you've been told about these various figures is largely made up from bits and pieces of any number of myths over their "lives." The Roman Mithras comes to us primarily through iconography which means we're looking to their images that have been left behind and few writings where others mention the religion and its practices as opposed to a "bible" and volumes of patristic writings that speak to the subject. This is what you're basically up against. for many ancient religions.

The sacred texts site is a great online resource. The trick is finding the variants which might take looking through journals at a good library or a decent book. Still, I had some good luck with those old books they host so I sure don't rule them out.

mwc

I'm no scholar on the subject, but I know there was a lot of overlap in the various myths. I think there may be some exaggeration on both sides in an effort to make a point. As usual, the facts place the truth somewhere in the middle.

My link

This. It's not as cut and dried as each side likes to claim.