Goodbye Jesus

Have You Ever Tested How Far You've Come As An Ex?

Yask

Some time ago I decided to join Christian community forums. Just to see how it felt to immerse myself into a community I use to encounter, even though I never really felt as part of them.

To lurk was one thing. To read how people would limit their emotions, their participation in things either on-line or in real life, due to the constraints they accepted as part of their faith, was a real trip. A trip back to when I use to be taken to church and watch all the folks in the pews paying astute attention to the pastor, solemn faces, stern looks, nod's of approval. Only to take their leave outside when the sermon was over and be overheard gossiping about those they found worthy of ridicule for how they looked that day, what they were wearing, what was heard about what they'd been up to during the week.

What a flip flop. As if while in god's house they were expected to be moral and upright and good. But once let loose in his yard, they were free to be mean.

So, while I visited those on-line Christian community forums I couldn't help but wonder, or even presume as true, that these same folks who were on a board where an Admin. would ban them for a period of time for violating strict fundy board rules of decorum, were those same people I use to know in church.

Meanwhile, on board, one could almost feel the fence around the conduct and emotions of those who shared in posts. The personal limits that were set because they were afraid to be open and free. Free to laugh, free to joke, free to express themselves. That proper decorum afforded representing as a true Christian.

One forum I attended had a chat room that was always populated whenever I arrived at the boards. There was a set of rules posted one day, as the Administrator was looking for volunteers to be moderators in chat. I felt like I was reading a want ad in a newspaper.

In order to apply for consideration one had to submit a resume of sorts that included the date of baptism, a testimony, and finally one had to agree that the Roman Catholic faith was a false church.

So I thought I'd put it out there and ask, have any other Ex's ventured to Christian forums, be they Fundamentalist or progressive, to test how they relate to the membership there, given one's new found sense of detachment from the faith, myth, fable?

If so, if you care to, please share your thoughts. :)

I can honestly say no! I really don't see a reason why I would be interested. I guess just to mess with people, but honestly the stupidity of most fundies just infuriates me and no one can argue with them because they have the all time, acceptable, Bull $h!t answer......."Its Gods will and you shouldn't question it."

I sometimes lurk on Christian Parents Forum out of morbid curiosity. I'm not actually an Ex-christian but the majority of my antitheism stems from the authoritarianism inherent in religion, particularly with regard to parents trying to micromanage their children's lives.

I've often contemplated subtly pushing people toward "un-christian" decisions by wrapping rational advice in a spiritual cloak. You know, for teh evulz. They have a thread about "Are you getting your daughter the Gardasil vaccination?" Responses are overwhelmingly "no," because "its only for TEH SINNARZ!" That's the kind of place I'm most tempted to post a load of twisted logic about why Lordy McJesusGod wants me to inoculate my daughter to keep her safe from the deceitful sin of others or some bullshit like that. I figure if I can convince even one person to immunize their kid, it's a net gain.

The only thing keeping me from doing it is that I'm not sure I can be subtle enough to slip it in without getting caught.

I thought I'd put it out there and ask, have any other Ex's ventured to Christian forums, be they Fundamentalist or progressive, to test how they relate to the membership there, given one's new found sense of detachment from the faith, myth, fable?

Interesting question. I think I'm still too traumatized by the mental contortions of my fundy past. And anyways, Ex-Christian.net is my new Facebook. 78.gif I don't have time to stray to old pastures!

...They have a thread about "Are you getting your daughter the Gardasil vaccination?" Responses are overwhelmingly "no," because "its only for THE SINNARZ!"

Ugh. Don't people know that Gardasil doesn't make you horny? Don't people want to protect their daughters who, as virginal as they may be, might bump uglies some day with some guy who isn't quite as squeaky clean? People can get HPV without even having actual intercourse. I wish these religious parents would protect their children. Grrrr.

Sorry, had to rant! Maybe I should get on those forums.......wicked.gif

Peace.

I work with a fundie. It amazes me the same old stuff he babbles off. I take it a little further each time he bombs me with dogma. Sometimes I'm a little mean. Like this one today........"Fundamentalist don't think at all.......they just do what they are told".GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Today my fundie friend says "You know, Satan is the great deceiver". I said no......."Satan is the great deception".

I told him the other day, that the more he throws Christianity at me, the more I see clearly that it is a lie.

He is helping me more then he knows........that will be tomorrows reply.

Anyhows yes. I enjoy theological discussion. On my gun board, I post a lot in the 'religious issues' section.

It is fun to see how far I have come. Sometimes I look back and think, wow, I'm not that guy anymore.

• Like 1

One of the other forums I hang out on is populated by people that have left fundamentalist baptist churches but who are still Christians, except for a few like myself who have slid all the way to atheism. I started participating there before I found the nice bunch of heathens here. They're mostly a good bunch of folks that I feel a certain kinship with due to my experiences with the Assemblies of God, which is just as wacky as the fundamentalist baptists, just in different ways. I have had some brutal debates with a few of them about young earth creationism, but I've had some of the more rational Christians come to my defense on the subject.

EDIT: I don't think I would ever voluntarily hang out in a forum that was populated by people that are still fundy. I get enough of that crap in real life, thank you.

I've been a member of a Jeep forum for quite some time and they have an off-topic section. Most of it is the usual redneck/YEC BS so it's kind of like shooting fish in a bucket, but I try not to piss too many people off since sometimes I need some advice on how to fix something...

I've been a member of a Jeep forum for quite some time and they have an off-topic section. Most of it is the usual redneck/YEC BS so it's kind of like shooting fish in a bucket, but I try not to piss too many people off since sometimes I need some advice on how to fix something...

I finally relentlessly pushed at least two people who were defending YEC in the forum to finally admit, "Look, I can't explain it, I don't actually know the science!" No. No you don't, and thank you for admitting it to everyone. This was after they had posted links to articles to defend their position that not only didn't help their case, but were proving exactly what I was saying; they couldn't even comprehend the articles they linked to.

The scary part is that I have an art degree and I could debate this stuff with them. I can't imagine how much more damage I could do if I was actually a scientist by training.

I stumbled into christain forums by a link through a humor website I visit. A young woman in the singles forum asked " I am sooo horny, what should I do?" {paraphrasing}. It was the usual give it to jezuz crap. I continue to find it very fascinating. It is interesting watching people open up more on an anonimus forum than real life. Stuff I would have never brought up to someone I knew. I particullarly find the singles forum interesting. It is easy to see the insecurity in them, and myself back in my christain days.

I have come a long ways.

Here, there is a unity of thought, but when I go to a christian forum, it is hilarious and sad because typically the protestants don't want to share a forum with the catholics, the reformed don't want to share a forum with the pentecostals, and then the "milk" drinking babes get shit on by the hardcore "meat" eaters. Holy spirit? More like foaming-at-the-mouth-in-rage spirit.

• Like 1

And they all think that God is speaking to them, but none of them can agree on what God is actually saying, either in their hearts or in the Bible.

• Like 1

It's funny, whenever I get on ExChristian I always open up ChristianForums as well, for laughs. Some of the things people post are ridiculous and honestly, I would be banned in an instant if I ever posted under any of the numerous threads.

Most of their stuff nowadays is "Christians Only" meaning you get banned for a day (at least I think that's what their rules say) if you're not "saved" and post in any thread on those forums. And it's pretty much all of them. Also, speaking of their rules...it's really just plain silly. It's a website, not a dictatorship...but I'm the one who made an account so really I'm not complaining...just noting how crazy they can be.

Most of their stuff nowadays is "Christians Only"

hilarious that those of an evangelical faith can't communicate outside their little bubble unless strictly controlled on their terms.

Actually, yes I went back to a christian forum once or twice. I used to hang out there and give 'wise' advice on why christians shouldn't drink or gamble, and how they should pray more because their lives are a mess. So it's funny, I went back there not long ago and looked at my profile. I had written a mini-testimony in there, so I had to delete that for a start, and then change my status to "atheist".

The reason I went back was because I was researching a doctrine, and wanted some honest thoughts from christians on the subject (I wasn't baiting or trying to cause any problems). I didn't get much of a response. I figured it may have been because they saw that I was an atheist.

I have no desire to go on any Christian forums, especially since they tend to be rabid about their censorship of anything that might cause people to question their religion.

I did for a short while after deconverting, mostly for the laughs, but also to judge my own reaction to the BS. When it stopped being funny, it just got annoying and sometimes downright pissed me off. I stopped going a long time ago, all I need to do is listen to the occasional drivel from my mother to remind me that I have no desire to attempt their logic leaps anymore.

I kept going to Godplace (a Pentecostal forum) for a while after my exit, but the environment is depressing. So much human potential and happiness is being crushed under fear, tradition, and authority. There's a reason I don't hang out with hyperreligious folk. I occasionally attend a local Episcopal church for various side-benefits (community, volunteer opportunities, music...), but they tend toward the saner side of religious life. Conversations about Jesus can be a bit awkward, though.

Christian Forums is without a doubt the most mind numbing place i've ever been on the internet. I don't know how a Christian can stand it, let alone any non-Christians!

The rules are a mile long and they make it pretty clear the purpose of the forum is to glorify gawd, not to debate - so they will ban you at the drop of a hat for even the tiniest infractions - including any Christians the mods don't think are "True" Christians.

I spent a total of about 15 minutes on Christian Forums when I was struggling with my faith, but after finding nothing but the same mindless parroting I heard in church I decided I couldn't be bothered with it and I never went back.

All I have to do is to watch a show about ghosts or a History Channel Christianity apologetic show and then I know how far I have come. I'm always shouting, "Logical fallacy!"

Frankly I have better things to do with my time than waste it with people who have mental blocks!

Back in 2005 or 2006 a bunch of us Ex-Cers regularly made field trips to Tribulation Forces Network (They have a different name now and I think no more message board). I guess it was a minor board war for awhile. There were double agents on both sides.

It's surprising how quickly that kind of stuff gets old, though. I had similar experiences at Evangelical Outpost and Fox Forums. I don't have time for that anymore. I'm either here or doing something productive.laugh.png

If I ever do, I go there to troll. The fucks don't deserve my time for any other reason.