Goodbye Jesus

Spiritual? Not Even Sure What That Means Anymore

Ravenstar

Very nicely done.. sociologically astute

I've never been able to comprehend things like racism, nationalism, even religious (ism?) I don't get 'patriotism' - I think all of those things are driven by one thing, fear, which gives rise to anger, aggression, narcissism, etc.. the opposite of love is not hate, it's fear. I also think that the world is moving in this direction, quicker than we know. The speed of social evolution since the internet is truly astounding.

One example: Egypt, when the civil revolution was happening in Egypt people from all over the world were watching and reaching out to the people there, in real time.. and this is interesting - the fear mongers and Egypt's government tried to shut that down and there were people all over who were working very hard to make sure that the Egyptians had a way to stay connected to the rest of the world so they could show the truth of what was happening. To support them in any way they could. THAT is global empathy in action. If that had not happened the civil movement could have ended very differently.

I disagree with those who say that things are getting worse, it's all about 'spin' - those who benefit from the status quo try to hold back this evolution (vilifying it and trying to censor it) and since they are the ones who control the major media sources the 'news' is twisted and biased. But it just isn't true.. sure things can be awful and atrocities happen every day but there are also wonderful and amazing things happening too - unfortunately most people aren't aware of it, or if they are have such little understanding of it that it frightens them, (Stem cell research for one) Our society (globally) is making leaps and bounds in all areas.. and with the interconnectedness of the internet the information is out there, just sometimes you have to dig and be a lot more discerning. It insists on personal responsibility and individual discretion. One can't be spoon-fed by the powers that be anymore as those powers have proven themselves to be mostly self-serving. People have to actually THINK for themselves. (This is highly unpopular and causes a lot of confusion and anger in those who would rather not put out that kind of effort... umm.. godidit!)

I propose that the human race may actually be growing up, and that can be painful sometimes (ask any teenager) I see the lessening of religion overall, the lessening of nationalism, the impetus to tolerance, and the dissolving of tribal ideologies and superstitions as part of the signs of this. I think the backlash from fundamental religion (and ridiculous patriotism) is also a sign of this because it points to the fear of change.. it's a reaction to the intense changes humanity is going through at this point in time.

At the end he suggests that there are ways to foster this innate drive... now that is something interesting. Can we assist this? Can it be that the human animal can now consciously direct it's own evolution?

One more thing about the example in Egypt. Egypt is a primarily Muslim nation, yet a large number of the people who were putting out the effort to keep them connected with the internet were from the west. Even with all the blathering about religious differences it DID NOT MATTER when it came down to the wire. People saw others trying to stand up for their rights and they assisted that, regardless of religion.

It was a beautiful thing.

I really enjoyed your response and agree wholly with it. I could go on at some length in discussion with about this. One quick question regarding this topic. You posted in the Testimonies forum, but it also is a fantastic discussion topic about spirituality. I was thinking of moving the topic to the Spirituality forum, or maybe splitting off our discussion to a new topic there. You can choose where you like it to be, as it is your "testimony", your sharing your history as well and it is important here for others to read as well. I'm leaning to starting a new topic and linking to it from this one. Your thoughts?

At the end he suggests that there are ways to foster this innate drive... now that is something interesting. Can we assist this? Can it be that the human animal can now consciously direct it's own evolution?

As for the question above, can we assist this? Yes, I do believe so. People need to hear that there is somewhere to go and develop that inner light that they all would prefer than all this discord. Telling everyone why their beliefs are wrong without offering any way for them to have the good that existed in the past in a new more developed, matured way, leaves people with a choice of one or the other; believe in God and be a Christian (or some New Age'y religion which is really just experimental Christianity), or be an Atheist and deny God or any spirituality as "woo-woo" (themselves still understanding it at the mythic level).

Those who have a heart towards what God represents, left with that choice, are not about throw that away, despite the fact they are living with rational conflict in defense of the mythological version of it since its the only face they know, the only support system to them. Or they take the step to embrace rationality and deny the mythic God (which actually is a definite positive step), but mistakenly assume all thing spiritual belong to that prerational sphere and chuck the Baby of spirituality out with the bathwater of myth, and are left looking for substitutes; science as the hope of humanity, reason and logic as the new Orthodoxy.

I could go on, but to address the question I think that to be able to embrace both the rational and the spiritual, develop both as two halves of the whole without violating either, to be able to demonstrate it, talk about it, and more importantly live it within us through that personal and social development, then I feel people will be attracted to that more than just a fist full or arguments debunking myth and promises of a better future through the new Orthodoxy.

People need more than systems of belief, whether secular or religious. They need to experience Life in themselves, through mind, body, soul, and spirit. Live it. Be it. From that ineffable Light within and the whole world, to ourselves, to others, to the world. This is beyond the rational as God. It is that Infinite connection within us to All.

Thank you... and I agree that throwing out the baby with the bathwater is a reactionary response, one I would like to avoid because I think there is merit in spirituality or evolution of consciousness, whatever one wants to label it. I also totally understand and sympathize with those who have a different understanding and wish to reject ALL forms of it. That is the cool thing about a progressive view of spirit, it leaves room for respect.

I am okay with starting a new topic on this subject.. I would think it would go under spirituality, but then again in may go under new life. I'm not as familiar with the subsets so I will leave that in your capable hands.

:)