Goodbye Jesus

Do You Speak Xtian?

Max

I think this is why people like Peter Boghossian recommend questioning people's "faith", not their "religion":

http://www.patheos.c...n-his-new-book/

While reviewing this book I came across John Loftus comments. I think he is correct.

A Manual for Creating Atheists

by Peter Boghossian

John Loftus in his review of this book notes, “One of the premises of Boghossian's book is that believers can be reasoned out of their faith. Can they? For the record I think believers cannot usually be argued out of their faith because they were usually never argued into it the first place. Sometimes we say it as Jonathan Swift did, whom Boghossian quotes as saying, "You do not reason a man out of something he was never reasoned into." 

That has certainly been my experience both as a believer and as a non-believer.

• Super Moderator

Shun da lee q loe ba sumac shun doo cra d soo mucho-showoffs.....yellow.gif

"My people, I will shower you with blessings and your land will see revival.  Thus saith the lord."

(I assume you were speaking in tongues :) )

• Like 1

"My people, I will shower you with blessings and your land will see revival.  Thus saith the lord."

(I assume you were speaking in tongues smile.png )

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

• Super Moderator

That's not tongues; you've got the devil in you.

That's not tongues; you've got the devil in you.

Don't be silly, I just want to make sure I'm eaten first.

• Like 1

This is so freakishly disturbing!  I was raised in an agnostic family and never belonged to a fundy church.  BUT I CAN UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING XIANESE WRITTEN IN THIS POST!!!!  Makes me wish I could bleach my brain.

When I read the title of the post, "Do you speak xtian?", I was like "Ha ha!  Not me!"  Oh, I hang my head.  I understand the language.

Well, when I saw "Speak Xtian" I got a whole other topic in my head. One that has been bothering me for some time. I have been an Atheist for almost 8 years (longer, but not fully). I am 73, been a cristian for over 50 years so it is pretty much glued in my head. But, I want to stop cursing in "Xtian". You know, like, goddamit, go to hell, the list goes on, but, I don't think I need to list them all.zDuivel7.gif LOL

When I am really POed, "darn it" just doesn't cut it. Plus, some of my Xtian friends smirk and say to me, "I thought you didn't believe in god?"

How do I get out of this habit and what do I replace it with??????

The F word is very, very versatile.

Oh fuck, the fucking fuckers are fucking around again and not fucking getting anything fucking done, and the fucking shit they did do? All fucked up! For fuck's sake!

Actually I think George Carlin has a great skit on the versatility of "fuck", far better than mine:

Well, when I saw "Speak Xtian" I got a whole other topic in my head. One that has been bothering me for some time. I have been an Atheist for almost 8 years (longer, but not fully). I am 73, been a cristian for over 50 years so it is pretty much glued in my head. But, I want to stop cursing in "Xtian". You know, like, goddamit, go to hell, the list goes on, but, I don't think I need to list them all.zDuivel7.gif LOL

When I am really POed, "darn it" just doesn't cut it. Plus, some of my Xtian friends smirk and say to me, "I thought you didn't believe in god?"

How do I get out of this habit and what do I replace it with??????

• Like 1