Goodbye Jesus

My Right-wing Nut Ny Friend. What To Do?

Brother Jeff

Just a thought- I wonder if you can find out what the political bias of his email provider is. Wouldn't it be hilarious if your friend was using an email provider that had a liberal bias, and you could point out to him that just by send the email and having that email address, he was actually supporting the liberal cause? Do you think it is possible to find out something like that? I did a quick check online, and yahoo is being alleged to have a liberal bias in the news stories and networks they show, though I'm not sure how much weight you could actually put to these allegations. But an email, with a couple of links...

I'm just being nasty, though. :)

My wife works for a very educated elderly man who's brother served decades in congress. This family is ultra-conservative and fanatically religious. Kinda scarey knowing this family as I do and their political connections and influence. It's no wonder there's such division in DC. Anyway, my wife's employer sends me whacked out anti-liberal/Obama email chain urban legends ALL the time. I used to spend a few minutes googling like you do Jeff and lay out factual references contradicting the assertions in the emails knowing all the while that I wasn't really doing anything constructive. After I sent him this paper, Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition ( http://www.awitness....on_summary.html ) and this link for the Urban Legend Combat Kit ( http://netsquirrel.com/combatkit/ ) I stopped responding to him.

I scanned your first link on my own about a year ago and the words "ridigity of thinking" stuck with me. For a great number of GOPs I know, it is dead on. But I hate to make sweeping generalizations. smile.png

Well, if there wasn't truth in consistency psychiatrists/psychologists would be out of business.