Goodbye Jesus

When was the last time you prayed?

Wade

Do you consider it proper to pledge unconditioned allegiance to the state (via flag proxy) even if the "under god" part were removed?

If so, why?

104491[/snapback]

I stopped reciting the Pledge because of the "under God" part. If I hadn't decided I was an atheist, I would probably still be doing it. Since I stopped, however, I've given the ritual much thought, and I think it's kind of silly. Why don't we just pledge allegiance to the republic for which it stands? The flag is a mere symbol. Why must we pledge daily? Do people really need to affirm this on a daily basis? Isn't what's in our hearts more important?

Perhaps it provides a sense of community and shared purpose, allows us to be part of a greater whole.

I don't consider the Pledge (as originally worded) IMproper, if that answers your question. I'm just not sure it's necessary. The current mandated recitation of the Pledge in Tennessee schools seems coercive to me, that's for sure.

I don't know if I would return to reciting the Pledge if the offending language were removed. Perhaps I would. It's hard putting up with the stares and disapproval. My motivation to protest would be diminished. I don't know, spamandham, but thank you for your thought-provoking question. For now, it's a moot point. I don't pray.

I have thought about this pledging forever. "For which it stands". And what does it stand for? Fact is, our consitution both supports liberal or consertative views (- sorry for the oversimplification redux dicotomy). When one recites this creed here, one affirms themselves to a majority perception of what this is. But what is that? We're Americans? Jesus, there are some Americans that I want nothing to do with, and I am sure that feeling is mutual. I don't know, perhaps its like singing xmas carrols to frosty or rudolph (as IG pointed in reference to Xians signing them) in an Bible Geek discussion with Bob Price.

Pledges are really a silly thing. It's a mass peer pressure really and yet its not always that. My dad sings it with such conviction when I take him to a brewer game. I kinda stare at attention, and give "respect" evem though this is little more than tribal edification.

2001, I think was the last time for me. Didn't really get too down on the whole thing for a lot of years prior though.