Goodbye Jesus

A Good "catch Phrase" Can Stop People From Thinking For 50 Years!

joyless

I came across this quote "A good catch phrase can stop thinking for 50 years" and thought how that can describe Christianity perfectly. I had my set of catch phrases that I would use in certain situations which would stop the intellectual process altogether. I wouldn't think logically about something because i always had to try to view my life from the spiritual realm. What was God teaching me, doing, how was Satan attacking me, etc. So I was thinking of asking you all this question :

What is your favorite Christian catch phrase(s) that drive you nuts?

Some of mine:

"Even if He doesn't answer your prayer He is still good/ in control.

Filling the Jesus hole in my heart with other sources.

Anytime "Praise God" is used for seemingly banal, everyday experiences like a pencil sharpener working in time for a church meeting or the sun coming out in time for youth group.

All things work together for good.

How about you guys?

"God's ways are mysterious; even though the things that have happened don't make sense to us, it is all still part of his plan."

Actually used to explain to me how a loving God can allow starving children in Africa.

Oh, here's another one:

"Well, [insert awful thing here] only happens because of the fall of man."

Used to explain any natural disaster, disease, famine, animal attacks, or anything else bad that happens in the world.

"Hate the sin, not the sinner."

"A way to a women's heart is through God"

These are great! Never heard the one about a way to a woman's heart is through God. You should never want to be in a woman's heart- or in anywhere else about a woman!

Oh, here's another one:

"Well, [insert awful thing here] only happens because of the fall of man."

Used to explain any natural disaster, disease, famine, animal attacks, or anything else bad that happens in the world.

That one is so cringeworthy. It was one of the first loose threads that put me off religion because it makes so little sense when you think about it.

"A way to a women's heart is through God"

Never heard this one, but I've had a few youth pastors in my time and I can see every one of them using that line.

mine was...

"god works in mysterious ways".

you would think god would make things clear so he wouldent be disputable.

Some Christian "mottos" I've heard?

God won't put more on you than you can handle.

Except by the grace of god there go I.

God helps those who help themselves.

Look up the last one on Wikipedia. Read the paragraph under the heading "Prevalence and Assessment." Funny stuff!

Here's one I've seen on Ex-C, and heard in real life:

"The bible interprets itself."

yes, it interprets itself so well that some people spend their lives trying to explain what it means.

• Like 1

I don't have any platitudes to contribute, but I really like that quote. It's amazing that a tiny meme has the potential to sidetrack reason over an entire lifetime against overwhelming evidence, but it's a keen observation that it can and often does.

This is probably why Stalin opined that you only need to control 10% of the population in order to control the masses, because 90% can easily be led by slogans.

"It's not a religion; it's a relationship."

This one comes up a lot on Ex-C. It kept me from realizing I was in a cult. It's all about Jesus, after all, so who cares about the details?

'When god closes one door - he opens another'......... VOGT6223CustomImage8223074.gif

"God always answers prayers, he just sometimes says no."

So, then, no answer is really an answer?

"It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

So rewrite the fable and put in some interior decorators.

"God is good all the time . . . all the time God is good."

Well, a little beside the point but I have one I use from time to time:

God damn it!

Used it today, in fact, when I broke something I was working on. Under certain circumstances, I'll go farther with a few added adjectives of which you are quite familiar. Having been in the Navy I received good training in self expression.

As Mark Twain said, "There ought to be a room in every house to swear in. It's dangerous to have to repress an emotion like that."

If we want anti-Christian phrases H L Mencken has a few good ones here.

A few of my favourites:

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

Deep within the heart of every evangelist lies the wreck of a car salesman.

Why assume so glibly that the God who presumably created the universe is still running it?

Sunday school: A prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.

Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing.

It takes a long while for a naturally trustful person to reconcile himself to the idea that after all God will not help him.

"God is everywhere"

Then why the hell do we have so many churches? "god's house"... dude needs to sell off some property or at least make them all shelters for the homeless.

any variation of "relationship with jesus/god" is annoying. IF jesus existed, he's dead now. necrophilia anyone?

The "god works in mysterious ways" one always makes me want to reply back, god is not mysterious, he's just hateful.

The "god works in mysterious ways" one always makes me want to reply back, god is not mysterious, he's just hateful.

God is nothing but a prick.

And not the good kind of prick, but the nasty infected, oozing, bruised smelly kind that reeks of disease.

And that concludes all the nice things I have to say about god today!

• Like 1

And not the good kind of prick, but the nasty infected, oozing, bruised smelly kind that reeks of disease.

And that concludes all the nice things I have to say about god today!

LOL