Goodbye Jesus

Intelligent Design in Kansas

Amethyst

Kansas School Board OKs Science Standards

(Normally I don't quote the whole article, but this one was very short.)

TOPEKA, Kan. - Revisiting a topic that exposed Kansas to nationwide ridicule six years ago, the state Board of Education approved science standards for public schools Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.

The board's 6-4 vote, expected for months, was a victory for intelligent design advocates who helped draft the standards. Intelligent design holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Critics of the proposed language charged that it was an attempt to inject creationism into public schools in violation of the separation between church and state.

Somehow I'm not surprised, but...argh! I just can't understand why these people would WANT kids to remain ignorant of science. It must be the brainwashing. That's the only reason I can fathom.

:ugh:

Somehow I'm not surprised, but...argh!  I just can't understand why these people would WANT kids to remain ignorant of science.  It must be the brainwashing.  That's the only reason I can fathom.

Makes me greatful I don't live in Kansas. I hope it doesn't start some sort of daisy chain effect though! :Doh: Crazy!

Even IF the postulate of ID was valid, the approach the IDers take is blatantly unscientific.

"My god! Look at these ancient ruins we just uncovered! Let's analyze them and see what we can learn about their culture!"

"Let's not. I don't know how it was done, but we dare not attribute any properties or names to what it was! Could be God, could be an Alien, could be Elvis. All we know is that it was intelligent and that should be enough for science!"

This absolutely kills me. The definition of Science is now indistinguishable from Magic in the state of Kansas, thanks to six people.

"My god!  Look at these ancient ruins we just uncovered!  Let's analyze them and see what we can learn about their culture!"

"Let's not.  I don't know how it was done, but we dare not attribute any properties or names to what it was!  Could be God, could be an Alien, could be Elvis.  All we know is that it was intelligent and that should be enough for science!"

What astonishes me is that the problem is not blatantly obvious for most people. The whole approach to the subject is anti-learning.

This absolutely kills me. The definition of Science is now indistinguishable from Magic in the state of Kansas, thanks to six people.
They can't go pissin'-off The Mighty Wizard now, can they? :scratch:

Oh shit! The Wizard was from OZ.

Dorothy was from Kansas.

:Doh:

103867[/snapback]

Technically, thanks to ONE person (had any of the six voted the other way, it would have been 5 to 5).