Goodbye Jesus

Charlemagne

PandaPirate

Without revealing my identity, I will just say that my last name is Culpepper. On the family website, there is a detailed family tree that shows our lineage going all the way back to Charlemagne.

http://www.gen.culpepper.com

http://gen.culpepper.com/ss/p8373.htm

So, I did some reading over the weekend about this Roman Emperor. What the history books like to call "Military Campaigns," I like to call "Slaughter."

Charlemagne must have been the most evil man alive and seems to me to be responsible for spreading the Christian religion all over Europe. I mean, uh, forcing, the Christian religion to be accepted.

Convert or be killed. I can't say I'm thrilled to have this ancestry.

Well if you go back far enough you will find a bad ancestor. Charlemagne probably has hundreds of thousands of ancestors from as far back as he lived.

Please don't worry about it.

I'm not trying to rub your face in it, but check this out: the accomplishments of Emperor Hadrian vs Charlemagne.

http://www.jesusneve...com/dwarfs.html

After finding out how advanced for their time the Romans were, (that site has a whole section on that, interesting yet depressing read) I can only dream of how the world would be today if the dark ages never happened. Roman engineering wasn't that far behind what they had in the 19th century. For instance, today we still can't build roads that last more than a century without constant maintenance, yet Roman roads are still usable today even after more than a thousand years of neglect in the dark ages! Roman glassware wasn't equaled until the modern era.

It really pisses me off... If not for the damn church we may have actually lived in the type of advanced future world we see so often in sci-fi. The church is still trying to hold us back. (trying to teach creationism in schools as so-called "intelligent design", keeping people broke by forbidding the use of birth control in impoverished countries, etc.) What truth do these people have? Nothing but a bunch of fables, imposed guilt, and veiled threats. It sickens me.

To be fair, the Roman empire had its dark side too (think of slavery!), but yeah... all in all, you better don't start thinking about where we would be today without morontheism. :banghead:

To be fair, the Roman empire had its dark side too (think of slavery!), but yeah... all in all, you better don't start thinking about where we would be today without morontheism. Wendybanghead.gif

True, but in the Roman Empire it was possible to go from slave to emperor in one generation. Emperor Diocletian (one of the best emperors, in the same league as Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, Trajan, or Augustus) was born to slave parents. Roman slaves could own property (including other slaves) and had some rights at least. The serfdom of the middle ages as imposed by CHRISTIAN emperor Theodosius was FAR worse. Monothiests have always been the worst type of slavers.

It really pisses me off...

Don't feel too bad, we might also have poisoned the planet or nuked ourselves by now.