Goodbye Jesus

What's A Sceptic To Have "faith" In?

CatBallou

If you become a POW, just tell them what they want. Who cares? It's not like the military is going to give one person secrets useful enough to harm them. If they do, then they aren't as smart as I give them credit for.

Most POWs are used for propaganda purposes anyway. Who cares if you make a video that says Uncle Sam sucks cock? It's better than getting bamboo shoved up your fingernails.

I may be wrong, but I don't really think it works that way. In order to get a certain security clearance in the military you pretty much have to be the type of person who WON'T betray your people just to avoid pain. Generally people in the position to torture you aren't going to respect that kind of weakness anyway. Even if you give them what they want to know (assuming you have it), they'll just kill you. You are no longer of interest enough to them to keep alive. As a quick way to death that MIGHT work, if they don't have other reasons for keeping you prisoner.

Though no one person has all the secrets, a lot of POWs aren't necessarily the people with the most secrets anyway. It's not that they necessarily think they're really getting information, it's just a bullying tactic. It's just like if you're a hostage in a bank robbery, you weren't taken necessarily because you have secret knowledge of how to get into the safe. You MAY have that knowledge and that would be a reason to take someone hostage, but it's not the only reason hostages are taken. Hostages are taken as bargaining chips also. Your pain isn't always meant to influence you, it may also be meant to influence those close to you. So what you tell or don't tell your captor may have little results other than showing you're dishonorable and betray your own people at the slightest provocation.

Also, a woman taken prisoner rarely has 'everything' to do with how much information she has. Most men are hard-wired to want to protect women. Taking a woman has a lot of purposes and reasons beyond information. If you want to fuck with men, start taking their women.

I agree with BrotherJosh. I'm not a big fan of Deepak Chopra, he strikes me as too um... scammy is the best I can come up with. That's just my experience.

Ajahn Brahm is my go-to for Buddhism. The cool thing about faith, is it doesn't have to be in an outside source. If you can find that part in you that you respect and believe in, that's all you need.

@Izzy, I'm glad it's not just me on the Chopra thing. I don't know what it is about him that irks me, and I feel assholish (is that even a word?) for saying it, but something feels off with him. I know it sounds cliche but I love the Dalai Lama. Not necessarily from a "here is where I've gained the most wisdom" standpoint, but I like his energy. I also like that when someone asked him in an interview if he felt he'd reached enlightenment, he giggled and said no. haha.

Also, is there any way you can give me that youtube video you just embedded in a link? I'd like to watch it but I'll have to bookmark it for later.

It automatically embeds it, but you can search for Ajahn Brahm on Youtube, he's got tons of stuff. The very first one I watched of his was on Superstition, and that's one I would highly recommend. He's a british monk, and has a great sense of humor, so it's a really easy watch.

Deeppockets Chopra

• Like 1

It automatically embeds it, but you can search for Ajahn Brahm on Youtube, he's got tons of stuff. The very first one I watched of his was on Superstition, and that's one I would highly recommend. He's a british monk, and has a great sense of humor, so it's a really easy watch.

Awesome. I'll definitely check it out as soon as I get out from under deadline.

Deeppockets Chopra

Yep, that's what it was. I recall now that he came to the church (Unity) I from time to time and always charged a ridiculous sum of money.