Goodbye Jesus

republicans and military service

Biggles7268

Prominent right-wing Republicans and military service

George W. Bush - National Guard back when service there meant you did not see combat. Even so, went AWOL for a year.

Dick Cheney - did not serve.

John Ashcroft, Attorney General - did not serve.

Don Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense - served in the U.S. Navy (1954-57) as an aviator and flight instructor.

Rep. Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the House - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Rep. Tom Delay, House Majority Leader - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Rep. Roy Blunt, House Majority Whip (MO) - did not serve

Dick Armey, Former House Majority Leader - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Sen. Bill Frist , Senate Majority Leader (TN) - did not serve.

Sen. Mitch McConnell, Majority Whip, (KY) - did not serve.

Sen. Rick Santorum, (PA), third ranking Republican in the Senate - did not serve. (1)

Trent Lott, Former Senate Majority Leader (MS) - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Jeb Bush, Florida Governor - did not serve.

Karl Rove - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Newt Gingrich, Former Speaker of the House - avoided the draft, did not serve.

Bill Bennett, (author of Why We Fight), did not serve.

Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice, did not serve.

Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court Justice, did not serve.

Phil Gramm, former Senator. Did not serve.

Paul Wolfowitz, Deputy Secretary of Defense, did not serve.

Spencer Abraham, Secretary of Energy, did not serve.

Rep. Henry Hyde, (IL) did not serve.

Jack Kemp, did not serve.

Sen. Don Nickles, (OK) did not serve.

J. C. Watts, Former Congressman, (OK), did not serve.

Bill Simon, did not serve.

Saxby Chambliss, did not serve.

Marc Racicot, avoided the draft despite a lottery number of 23.

Right-wing preachers and pundits

P. J. O'Rourke (author of Give War a Chance), did not serve.

Bill Kristol, editor The Weekly Standard, did not serve.

Bill O'Reilly, Fox News celebrity, did not serve.

Sean Hannity, Fox News celebrity, did not serve.

Wolf Blitzer, CNN Newsman. Did not serve.

David Horowitz, Right Wing media hit man. Did not serve.

Mike Savage, Right Wing media hit man, did not serve.

George Will, columnist, did not serve.

Pat Robertson, politician/preacher, His US Senator daddy got him out of Korea when war began.

Ralph Reed, did not serve.

Jerry Falwell, preacher/politician, did not serve.

Ken Starr, did not serve.

Gary Bauer, politician/preacher, did not serve.

Alan Keyes, did not serve.

Roger Ailes, Fox News President, did not serve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't suppose anybody could come up with a Democratic list like this?

Probably most politicians, at least those who were born into affluent families, did not serve. Of course, Democrats don't typically call your patriotism into question if you don't march lock-step with their opinions.

I think it would be more interesting to have some sort of verification for the list that you posted. :shrug:

I'm not stickin' up for the people mentioned on that list, but it does look like something that anyone could have just thrown together for the sake of making them look bad.

Here's some verification for one of them Fwee.

Pat Robertson, politician/preacher, His US Senator daddy got him out of Korea when war began.
Well, not quite. Apparently he did serve in Korea although he spent much time in Japan. However his Korean service wasn't exactly what he said it was.

During the presidential primary election season started in early 1988, Robertson's campaign was undermined by a statement Robertson had made about his military service. In his campaign literature, he stated he was a combat Marine who served in the Korean War. When word of this got out, other Marines in his battalion contradicted Robertson's version, saying he had never spent a day in a combat environment. Instead of fighting in the war, Robertson's primary responsibility was supplying alcoholic beverages for his officers.

In his campaign literature, Robertson claimed to be a "combat Marine" who had served proudly in the Korean War. It didn't take long for Marines who remembered Pat to rebut this statement. They remembered him as the only jarhead with a U.S. Senator for a father. And who, coincidentally, was pulled out of his combat unit and reassigned to a cushy desk job. In fact, Lt. Robertson was known colloquially as his unit's "liquor officer," because it was his assigned responsibility to keep the officer's club stocked with alcoholic beverages from Japan.

Robertson had never spent a single day in a combat environment, and his claim of having been a "combat Marine" infuriated a lot of people. One of them wrote a letter to his local newspaper, published in February 1988:

There is a person who calls himself a combat Marine. He is not. His name is Pat Robertson. I saw him often in the division headquarters where he was clean-shaven and clothed and showered. He was in charge of making sure that the officers' booze ration was handed out and re-supplied. He was a lieutenant. He was in my battalion.

The line company marines I saw smelled badly, looked poorly. For months at a time they were cold, eating C-rations. Trying to stay warm and dry was a constant battle. These line-company men were the combat Marines of the First Marine Division. Neither Pat Robertson nor I could carry their gear.

He is trying to get elected by standing on those frozen bodies I saw, by putting himself in the company of those seven Marines who repulsed the enemy. Imagine a person who aspires to be President being so loose with the truth, so lacking in grace and so dishonorable.

He says God talks to him. I'd like to hear what God says to him about this.

Self-aggrandizement by way of dishonoring your nation's war dead is really something you should avoid if you want to run for office... any office, much less President of the United States. People just don't like the idea that their candidate is a lying sack of shit who would say anything just to get elected.

(Emphasis mine)

I have a question. Why does any christian in the US still believe a word the lying bastard says?

Casey

I think it would be more interesting to have some sort of verification for the list that you posted. :shrug:

I'm not stickin' up for the people mentioned on that list, but it does look like something that anyone could have just thrown together for the sake of making them look bad.

106499[/snapback]

http://www.nhgazette.com/news/chickenhawks...ticans_platoon/

Be careful, it's an internet source. Some may not approve. :phew:

hey now, everybody knows that if you read it on the internet and it supports your opinion then it must be unquestionably true.

hey now, everybody knows that if you read it on the internet and it supports your opinion then it must be unquestionably true.

106747[/snapback]

How true. Unquestionably so I might add. :grin:

Prominent right-wing Republicans and military service

105709[/snapback]

Where's Senator McCain of Arizona and wasn't his dad somebody important ?

Where's Presidential Candidate Bob Dole ?

Senator Jeff Sessions ?

Senator Chuck Hagel ?

Hmmm, did some prior service Republicans get overlooked ?

105709[/snapback]

Make one. Start with:

Former President Bill Clinton, did not serve.

Senator Hillary Clinton, did not serve.

Senator Joe Lieberman, did not serve.

John Edwards, did not serve.

Howard Dean, did not serve.

Al Sharpton, did not serve.

Senator Bob Graham, did not serve.

Jesse Jackson ?

105709[/snapback]

Make one. Start with:

Former President Bill Clinton, did not serve.

Senator Hillary Clinton, did not serve.

Senator Joe Lieberman, did not serve.

John Edwards, did not serve.

Howard Dean, did not serve.

Al Sharpton, did not serve.

Senator Bob Graham, did not serve.

Jesse Jackson ?

108025[/snapback]

The issue is that those on the list are Hawks, ala the title chicken hawks.

If you are a dove or somewhere in between the issue of military service doesn't breach the level of hypocracy that it does with some of those on the first list.

If you are a dove or somewhere in between the issue of military service doesn't breach the level of hypocracy that it does with some of those on the first list.

108210[/snapback]

I can't really reconcile your claim with some members on the list.

How exactly is Governor Jeb Bush a Hawk and what influence does he have outside of Florida ?

Where does Spencer Abraham, (former?) Secretary of Energy, fit in as an influential war-mongering "Chicken Hawk" ?

Doesn't fit.

Link please.

108048[/snapback]

[if you meant from me]

Sometimes you just have to generate a list of names and look them up.

But I have this -

http://www.rhodescook.com/winning.html

Scroll down a ways.

[if not addressing me, I'll just say "hi"]

108210[/snapback]

I can't really reconcile your claim with some members on the list.

How exactly is Governor Jeb Bush a Hawk and what influence does he have outside of Florida ?

Where does Spencer Abraham, (former?) Secretary of Energy, fit in as an influential war-mongering "Chicken Hawk" ?

Doesn't fit.

108276[/snapback]

You're right. When I wrote that in my head I replied with the word "some." Somehow "some," as in "some members on the list," didn't end up on the post. My bad.

I'm thinking that when building such a list, any female Politicians under 48 yeqars of age should be held to the same standard as any male Politicians with respect to military service.

My reasoning is that prior to 1975 there was a draft of only men. But after 1975 it was an all volunteer military and it was just a matter of wanting to join - an option available to men and women.

But I really question the value of the information. That I enlisted twice doesn't mean that I'm better able to guage the option of making war over someone else who decided to earn a Ph.D. in Political Science during their 20's.

But I really question the value of the information. That I enlisted twice doesn't mean that I'm better able to guage the option of making war over someone else who decided to earn a Ph.D. in Political Science during their 20's.

Cool. I got an IR degree while in my 20s and I say we opt out of Iraq :HaHa:

And I agree with you, despite my disdain for most figures on the list, the list is more useful as a propaganda tool than a true reality check.

Policical party asside, anyone who is afluent enough to go into politics has the ability to get out of service. Most of these guys/gals, republican and Democrat were all born with silverspoons up thier asses. So of course they won't serve. No, it's guys like me, who will never get elected to anything, who put our asses on the line for Uncle Sam. Thats why I'm Libertarian. The less I have politicians in my life, the better.