Goodbye Jesus

Question for Bible-believing Xians

Cerise

If God/Jesus/Holy Spirit/angel/etc. appeared to you and told you directly to do something that would be against scripture, or told you that the Bible was in error, or told you to follow an interpretation that you had considered to be false before (say Mormonism for instance, or Catholicism) would you:

1) believe him/it/them?

2) change your interpretation?

Additionaly, if someone you knew claimed that God/Jesus/Hoyl Spirit/angel/etc. appeared to them and told them to do something you would considered "not scriptually supported", or told them that the Bible was in error, or told them that the true religion was Catholicism or Mormonism would you:

1) believe them?

2) change your interpretation?

106188[/snapback]

Hi Cerise!

I consider communion with God via a close relationship with my conscience... really seeking a sincere and peaceful, not complacent, answer. I have learned a lot about God and Jesus right here. It isn't what I necessarily thought, but when presented with evidence, doing my own research, I have to go with reason true to my conscience. There are some things that have been presented, which I still consider to be more of just that person's point of view of the evidence based on their previous ideology. My faith, to me, is based on evidence. I suppose I had to take a leap of blind faith initially, to even consider there may be a part that is transcendent of my body. But reason seems to have taken over once I did that.

I have not found a denomination that has convinced me they have the absolute truth, or even close to it. Further, just because it has been a revelation in someone else's life, does not mean it is true. If I knew that person fairly well, and respected them, I may give their new idea significant contemplation though.

Would you consider a new perspective against your previous pov, if it came from someone for which you had come to have respect?

Since I deconverted I've asked a few xians this question. I ask if I had a Saul/Paul revelation would they listen to me? They usually answer that they would but tentatively. I ask them what if what is revealed isn't xian? They then tell me they wouldn't listen at all unless, of course, I can prove what I'm saying is really from "god." So if it's xian related they might listen but if it's not then they'll require absolute proof and even then odds are bad.

They get all bent out of shape when I tell them they're listening to someone they don't know at all tell them the message of "god" without proof but since they know the source of this new revelation (me) they're suddenly skeptical. :shrug:

mwc

I can tell you what the stock christian answer is.

Test the spirits. Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light.

If you are receiving revelation that contradicts the scriptures, it's a ploy delivered to you directly from the Beel'zbul. (The Lord of the Flies)

I can tell you what the stock christian answer is.

Test the spirits.  Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light.

If you are receiving revelation that contradicts the scriptures, it's a ploy delivered to you directly from the Beel'zbul.  (The Lord of the Flies)

I've heard that answer before, but I don't understand it. It would make Christianity a worship of a text and not a god. A worship of printed words and not a spiritual being. If scripture revealed all God ever intended, or will intend to say, why would any christian need God? God becomes extraneous to his word. :shrug:

That is a very good question-- one which I pondered while yet a Christian. I came to the conclusion that it was best not to think of such things if I wanted to keep my faith.

Abraham was commanded by God to commit a sin, so either it WASN'T really from God, or God is one evil bastard who tempts people and commands them to do evil.

Either way Genesis is proven to be worthless right there.

Oh, and to address the other aspect of that question (from a Christian's point of view), there can really be no new revelations from God, since any that come have to AGREE WITH WHAT IS ALREADY WRITTEN, so why bother "revealing it" over again?

Further, even if He DID say something that agreed with scripture, there's very little in the bible that can't be refuted via other bible verses.

[*EDIT*]

Come to think of it, that could be a fun game: Try to think of something that God would say that cannot be countered with some scripture!

Example: If God says "I now command you to LOVE and ACCEPT EVERYONE", we could show verses that command to hate, reject, or kill others, thereby rendering His new command void, because it doesn't agree with God's Word ®.