Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Christ Superstar

Antlerman

I've recently been rediscovering the superior nature of vinyl recordings and resurrected (pun intended) an old copy of the soundtrack from Tim Rice's Jesus Christ Superstar. With the recent conversations with the ultra-fundamentalist in our ranks, this made me recall the negative reactions the right wing Christian community had towards this production. Along with this, they also reviled Martin Scorsese’s passionate film work "The Last Temptation of Christ". Both, I felt we're respectful, artistically conceptual films that treated the subject with reverence, through the eyes of an artistic treatment of the subject.

The fundamentalist’s response? They damned both of them as heretical, blasphemous, mockeries of the true historical Christ. Martin Scorsese was deeply hurt by this response as he was a devout Catholic and this was a personally important film for him. Never mind that, the judgment was passed.

The point of this is that the fundamentalist is self-limiting and judgmental of anything or anyone who sees things differently than they do. This is the embodiment of self-righteous behavior, and does nothing positive for anyone. I think both films were respectful and provocative looks at a classic story. I'm glad I can appreciate what others have to offer. Art is God.

The fundamentalist’s response?  They damned both of them as heretical, blasphemous, mockeries of the true historical Christ.  Martin Scorsese was deeply hurt by this response as he was a devout Catholic and this was a personally important film for him.  Never mind that, the judgment was passed.

The point of this is that the fundamentalist is self-limiting and judgmental of anything or anyone who sees things differently than they do. 

106360[/snapback]

The other point is that most (and I do mean most) fundies have never actually seen either production. I remember being told how blasphemous they were, and when I finally (with a bit of fear and dread) saw "Superstar," I did not feel it was blasphemous in the least. I was a little disappointed that it ended before his resurrection, but other than that, it was a great show.

I still haven't seen "Last Temptation" yet...but haven't really had a chance to since my deconversion.

Bottom line: Fundies believe what fundies are told to believe.

I love JCSS. I have it on CD (soundtrack) and on VHS. As a Christian, I found it hard to fathom that Christians found it heretical... I found a lot of inspiration in it, especially the portrayal of Judas.

I was lucky enough to see it performed by a Broadway traveling group, with the original Jesus (Ted Neely I believe??)... his voice is awesome in a haunting sort of way.

I've recently seen Jesus Christ Super Star as a Dutch Musical. Same Music,Dutch text. English is better and Beaty and The beast was a way better musical but the story and look at it all is great.

I think what I liked was the artistic juxtaposition of ancient culture with modern technology. It sort of made the statement that the story really fits any time frame, that it's about the people and the drama, not so much the place and time. The movie Titus used that approach too, but I don't think anyone called that blasphemy. :grin: