Goodbye Jesus

Excuses For God

jackbauer

We've all heard them. Either from people IRL or the Christian trolls who post here. If God doesn't reveal himself or confirms your salvation, there is always some excuse (it's usually something you did wrong).

"God's time is not our time"

"You had pride in your heart"

"God doesn't have to reveal himself to anyone" (kind of fucks up the relationship thing)

"You must not have been truely willing to give yourself to God" (what does that even mean?)

"You were trying to find God through your own efforts and not through Christ" (Again, what does that mean?!)

"You were testing God"

"You didn't have enough faith" (which would be solved if God would reveal himself!!!!)

And then there are the excuses for suffering.

"We deserve it because of sin"

"God never said it would be easy" (referring to why Christians suffer)

"It's god's test. God tests the righteous" (heard that one in a thread in the lions den)

And those are just the ones which come to mind.

His ways are higher!

<Puke>

• Like 1

God's just mysterious. (This is code for, "I realize I just lost the argument, so I'll toss this one out there to try to distract you since there is no argument against it.")

His ways are so beyond our understanding that he couldn't even make his actions make sense to us if he wanted to, because our brains just couldn't handle it.

• Like 3

They used to constantly use this scripure verse...........all the time.......

''but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.''

I 'fainted' so many times I wanted a big, fat bus to run over me at times and get me the frig out of here. I'm still fuckin' waitin'...........

What a pile of bullshit!

• Like 1

I agree with Trapped about the "mysterious" excuse. A hard one to respond to. If the big G is so concerned about us, why in hell is he being mysterious? Did you ever watch a cat torment a mouse before moving in for the kill. Same difference.

Also, Jackbauer mentioned the testing notion. This one really bugs me. Would you "test" your kids by clobbering them on the head with a baseball bat just to see if they still loved you after it was over?

• Like 1

It's a cult and these phrases translate to make people feel unworthy. It's all about control, and it's easier to control people who are depressed and feel unworthy. Classic abuse.

"God's time is not our time" You're not important enough for god to pay attention to

"You had pride in your heart" You think you are better than god

"God doesn't have to reveal himself to anyone" God doesn't have time for you

"You must not have been truely willing to give yourself to God" You didn't try hard enough

"You were trying to find God through your own efforts and not through Christ" You're following the wrong person

"You were testing God" God has no patience for brats like you

"You didn't have enough faith" You're not good enough for god

"We deserve it because of sin" All humans are just losers

"God never said it would be easy" You're unhappiness and pain pleases me... temporarily

"It's god's test. God tests the righteous" Here is another test you will fail

Great list by the way jack.

• Like 2

We all deserve hell as worthless humans.

God answers prayer in three ways: yes, no or wait.

The last two feel the same and can be subsumed under "no". Between "yes" and "no" is a mashup of coin toss and "would it have happened anyhow?".

That makes me think that the Magic 8 ball might be more reliable.

It is certain It is decidedly so Without a doubt Yes – definitely You may rely on it As I see it, yes Most likely Outlook good Signs point to yes Yes Reply hazy, try again Ask again later Better not tell you now Cannot predict now Concentrate and ask again Don't count on it My reply is no My sources say no Outlook not so good Very doubtful

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia....ki/Magic_8-Ball

The closest thing I've seen to a "free pass" for the Christian concept of god is the so-called free-will defence, which in my opinion is no defence at all.

Firstly, an omnipotent god would have known the consequences of granting free will to his creations - even a relative simpleton could have predicted it within an acceptable margin of error.

Why, then?

Why is free will considered the greatest possible good? Because it must be, if it's the excuse for so much suffering and abuse. Why is the free will of a rapist, torturer or murderer to be considered more valuable, in any sense, than the wellbeing of the victims of the abhorrent - yet apparently 'free' - actions of such persons?

Could that be because the god described in the Bible clearly condones rape, torture and murder to a greater extent than any bodily pleasure or psychological comfort?

• Like 1

You're right london, it is abuse. From their answers, I always got the feeling that they were saying "why should god care about you?". As if God didn't really care about me despite them claiming the opposite. It's the equivilent to parents never being around for their kid yet not giving them what they need to make it on their own. With god, we are told that there's nothing we can do to be saved, yet when we aren't given the "free gift" of salvation, it's still our fault somehow. God is supposed to be all powerful so this shouldn't be a problem. WE are the ones who need to be saved to escape such a horrific fate. WE ARE DEPENDANT ON GOD according to their theology. Yet when God doesn't show, what the FUCK are we supposed to do?

And I love how Christians can never accurately describe how they know they are saved or what it's like to be saved. The few times I've debated them on this I got wishy washy answers "oh you just know". Unless of course, they were never "true" Christians like so many people accuse Ex Christians of.

What a confusing fucking religion.

• Like 1

"He allows us to CHOOSE Hell; it is a matter of free will"

That's perhaps the most rage inducing one.

You can't see spiritual matters because the spirit of God is not in you.

"I can't wait to see what's going to happen because of all the things that God is allowing us to go through"

*puke*

Translate: I sure hope something good is gonna come from all this shit.

Unspoken answer from my mind: Nope. Nothing good unless you make it happen.

• Like 1

"I can't wait to see what's going to happen because of all the things that God is allowing us to go through"

*puke*

LOL!!!! YES!!!! I actually did laugh out loud.

Man, Ex-C is so therapeutic!!!!!

• Like 1

*puke*

LOL!!!! YES!!!! I actually did laugh out loud.

Man, Ex-C is so therapeutic!!!!!

Thankies :D I had to walk away from that one last night when I heard it before I blurted out what I was thinking...and I'm an introvert.You'd think by now with all of the crap my parents have been through in the last year that they would wake-up and walk away. Eh, I guess if it gives them hope.

God is an excuse for everything.

My niece couldn't get pregnant for years. Still she believed God wanted her to be a mother.

Then she finally was pregnant, God heard her prayer.

She lost her child after 24 weeks of pregnancy, hurt her really bad..

But God was confirming to her with this that she was going to get a baby (don't ask me why God had to kill the first one first)

Took her awhile to get pregnant again, this time her body terminated the child 16 weeks in.

Mean voice in my head telling me God was telling her she is not supposed to get children.

Her interpretation: God wants her to have children through adoption.

*sigh*

God is an excuse for everything.

My niece couldn't get pregnant for years. Still she believed God wanted her to be a mother.

But God was confirming to her with this that she was going to get a baby (don't ask me why God had to kill the first one first)

Took her awhile to get pregnant again, this time her body terminated the child 16 weeks in.

Mean voice in my head telling me God was telling her she is not supposed to get children.

*sigh*

Again this pisses me off. I am so sorry for your niece and can't even imagine losing a child after wanting one so badly.

First of all, this makes me sad. That's a lot of grief to process.

Second of all, this is one reason I lost my faith. The post hoc reasoning that goes into maintaining ridiculous nonsensical beliefs faith is outrageous. My brain almost broke trying to bend in such bizarre ways when I was a believer.

Regarding my own childlessness (not by choice), the pastor's wife suggested to me that maybe God didn't want me to have kids because he thought I'd be a bad parent. If you know me and the extensive work I've done with people of all ages, all walks, and all abilities, you would know how cruel a thing this is to even think, let alone suggest. My goodness, even serial killers and pedophiles can reproduce.

Anyhow, all this to say, excuses for God, to maintain our faith, suck!

I hope your niece comes to her senses (and her motherhood).

And I just love how there are verses that claim we can do anything because we believe in him, yet in the next breath we are all doomed to hell no matter what we do because we are not ever good enough.

This religion, and others, is schitzo.

"You're a tree,

you're a chicken,

you're a tree,

you're a chicken,

you're a tree,

no, wait... you're a lake."

It just can't make up it's mind what it actually believes.

People have to make excuses to be able to believe because the "books" of the bible have been cherry picked and edited to control the power of the time period they survived. They have no modern editing. By that I mean, we as a society have gotten to the point where no one is able to edit the current bible without many crying foul. It can't be "fixed" and it is clearly damaged.

And since this book is what propogated the myth of yahweh and his merry men, xianity is just mentally damaging it's followers.

How many times would you allow someone to profess their deep love for you and then punch you in the face?

How long would you allow the person you love to dictate what you were allowed to;

wear

eat

sleep

think

feel

do

love

That seems like a form of slavery to me. And if you trick someone into allowing themselves to become that kind of slave, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a cult.

Excuses have to be made to allow oneself to be a part of the cult. And it's called Cognitive dissonance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance Every excuse follows this pattern. Your brain is trained to find a "justification" so that your "illusion faith" is not broken.

Fear also plays into making excuses. People fear not being a part of something "greater".

Anyhow, to shorten this post... I think when people finally decide to stop making excuses and see the abuse they have been subjected to, they eventually step away. And when you refuse to participate, even for a short time, you see with your "real" eyes that you were a slave to this.

Once you taste freedom and logic, religion is over for you. Sometimes people transition to a different religion, but in my personal experience, that's temporary. Not true for all people, but I have watched people step from one religion to the other and finally decide that myths are myths no matter how you package it.

Freedom to enjoy the world or 2000 year old mind slavery... you really have to hate yourself to choose to be a slave.

Excuses have to be made to allow oneself to be a part of the cult. And it's called Cognitive dissonance.

Every excuse follows this pattern. Your brain is trained to find a "justification" so that your "illusion faith" is not broken.

London, so true! Cognitive dissonance is like a baked cake that has big cracks in it. So, you take the icing of rationalization and cover it all up.

It gets tiring after a while, and it doesn't solve the initial problem.

Excuses have to be made to allow oneself to be a part of the cult. And it's called Cognitive dissonance.

Every excuse follows this pattern. Your brain is trained to find a "justification" so that your "illusion faith" is not broken.

London, so true! Cognitive dissonance is like a baked cake that has big cracks in it. So, you take the icing of rationalization and cover it all up.

It gets tiring after a while, and it doesn't solve the initial problem.

I know. And then even worse put that same cake in the sun, let the whole thing melt and then declaring it the most beautiful thing you have ever seen.

WTF???

I'm glad Ex-C is here to help people through this.

And then even worse put that same cake in the sun, let the whole thing melt and then declaring it the most beautiful thing you have ever seen.

WTF???

I'm glad Ex-C is here to help people through this.

I know! It's cRaZy-MaKiNg! Wendycrazy.gif

"You have hardened your heart! You have to let Jesus in to soften your heart!"

What, so God not proving himself to me is MY fault?

"I can not convince you through reasoning, but all I can say is this: It is a real relationship, you just have to ask Jesus to come into your life and then you will know Him." ...thisclose.gif