Goodbye Jesus

Tithing Is Such A Joke

Unbound

My parents are very devout fundy Baptist, and have always given their 10% tithe, plus more for offerring, building fund, missions, etc. My father always had a well paying job, and my mother worked most of the time as well, but did take a year or two off on a couple of occassions. In 2008, my father started having some health problem, and coupled with a bad economy, resulted in losing his job in 2009. He has had no luck finding employment in his field, and is currently making about 1/8 of what he used to make. They did not save like they should have, and always carried too much debt, which resulted in losing their home after his job loss. They are now living in a small apartment and are barely getting by. I remember hearing the preacher at their church saying that you "could not afford not to tithe". He once told those that weren't tithing to try it for six months, and if they weren't better off after six months, he would give them a refund. I don't know if anyone took him up on it. I'm sure my parents have paid close to $500K in tithes in their lifetime, and if they would have saved / invested that amount, they would be in great shape. On the other hand, I haven't tithed in years, and my job and financial situation has been going better than expected. What gives? I really hate the situation that my parents are in. I know that they didn't always handled their money correctly, but it really irritates me that they've given so much money to the church, and continue to give, yet their broke. This is what the church teaches, that no matter how broke you are, you can't afford not to tithe because you will be cursed.

I found this "Tithe test" and thought about sending it to my father. It's from a christian site. Anyone ever seen this before:

http://www.freelygive-n.com/Tithe_and_Offering.html

Goodbye Jesus

I am so sorry that you have to see your parents go through this horseshit. Titheing is just another form of control. Honestly churches are wasted buildings build as a monument to man. I hope things look up for you parents soon.

Unfortunately, I failed out of pharmacy school in my senior year. If we'd not been tithing the last 5 years, I would owe next to nothing on my school debt. Now I owe like 80K. Worked out great for us. Wendytwitch.gif

Unfortunately, I failed out of pharmacy school in my senior year. If we'd not been tithing the last 5 years, I would owe next to nothing on my school debt. Now I owe like 80K. Worked out great for us. Wendytwitch.gif

I hear you. My total student loan debt is 185k...I was a fucking idiot. I get that. I made terrible deicions in the name of following "god's will" for my life. Now I caution young people about student loans. If I could do it all over again...I'd either not go to school or work my ass off to pay for each course individually. I sure as hell wouldn't have played around and skipped classes and failed out multiple times. I've got 3 degrees though and am gonna wait until after my parents get a house before attempting bankruptcy. Not so much concerned about public loans...it's the shit ton of private loans that I have that are a problem for me and my parents.

I hear ya. My parents are in exactly the same boat. My dad lost his job two years ago. No one wants to hire a 62 year old man. They are about to lose their house.

If they had back their tithing money, this wouldn't be an issue. As a result, I will likely have to almost fully support them for the last 20 years of their life.

Yeah i can't even claim bankruptcy. Government held student loans.... they're gonna get theirs. So, I could rack up 100K in debt buying pokemon posters and S&M paraphernalia and bankrupt it out, but I rack it up in student debt (GOOD DEBT they call it) and I can't claim. Nice system, huh?

Yeah i can't even claim bankruptcy. Government held student loans.... they're gonna get theirs. So, I could rack up 100K in debt buying pokemon posters and S&M paraphernalia and bankrupt it out, but I rack it up in student debt (GOOD DEBT they call it) and I can't claim. Nice system, huh?

i know right. they were supposedly working on a way of dealing with at least the private student loans. i've heard that if it can be proven that student loans would cause undue hardship then they can be discharged. However this is in rare cases. I want to pay them back, however, demanding over half my paycheck each month is bull. I gotta remember that I hold the power when it comes to my money.

Yeah i talked to a bankruptcy lawyer about it. I'm married and my wife has a good job, so I'm screwed. Or she is. lol

In my case, I work for the church AND I'm expected to give money out of my own paycheck BACK to the church. The very money that goes towards paying the church's employees go right back to them again. It's ridiculous. The pastor makes extra sure to make a public accusation at his own staff for not tithing. I can't wait till I can finish school and get a nursing job so I can actually keep the money I make.

They always say you'll get blessings and shit if you tithe. So far, I've been "blessed" with a rare autoimmune disease. Our family is barely making it as it is without tithing forcing them to spend 10% of their income every Saturday...

I have sort of a plan...it involves me living at poverty level as a teacher and utilizing all that money to pay off as much as I can as fast as I can...however that plan doesn't take into account...life

I am so sorry that you have to see your parents go through this horseshit. Titheing is just another form of control. Honestly churches are wasted buildings build as a monument to man. I hope things look up for you parents soon.

Thank you, and I agree.

I hear ya. My parents are in exactly the same boat. My dad lost his job two years ago. No one wants to hire a 62 year old man. They are about to lose their house.

If they had back their tithing money, this wouldn't be an issue. As a result, I will likely have to almost fully support them for the last 20 years of their life.

My parents are almost the same age. They're both 58. I think that's the main reason my dad has had such a hard time finding a job. It would be nice if the church supported the members that supported the church for all those years.

I wonder, does anyone know if the pastor, priest, or whatever tithes? What is ridiculous is all this money goes to the church tax free. If only that money were given to the suffering directly and not through a church which squanders it away to pay for their massive institutions!

I wonder, does anyone know if the pastor, priest, or whatever tithes? What is ridiculous is all this money goes to the church tax free. If only that money were given to the suffering directly and not through a church which squanders it away to pay for their massive institutions!

At least I've talked my wife into giving her tithe directly to institutions that help the needy, and not through the church. Actually now she's decided (on her own account) to stop tithing alltogether to help us get out of debt faster. I told her the line from, who was it...uggh...it was a slave back in the 1800's, a real famous one, but cant remember who...anyways, he said "I prayed for 20 years for god to free me from slavery. Then I got up and prayed with my legs (stopped waiting around and just fled)." She was like, "yeah, we've done this long enough, and look at where we are. I'm gonna help us help ourselves for a while. We've helped plenty of needy people ever since we got married."

The thing that really struck me as absurd after I went full on infidel is this...

Why the hell does an omnipotent, omniscient being need fund raising drives every week to keep his organization running?

• Like 2

Yeah, don't you think he could easily find money for his churches if he wanted them to have it so badly? He's got a lot more money than I do, so I figured pretty quickly that if he wanted the church to have money he could do it without my tiny pittance.

I had to look up the word "tithing". My God, what a joke. 10%!! How many corrupt people are running churches now? It's a lucrative way to make money!

The pentecostal church I went to (in the Netherlands) did go round with a basket in which you could tribute financially to the church, but only if you had the means and felt like it. Nobody judged you for not paying. The average person would throw in €1,- and skip it sometimes. Only some of the richer people would tribute €20,-.. To them that's not even 1%...

Yeah, all based off some obscure OT verse about being CURSED if you dont give your 10% which 1) was only supposed to go to a levitical priest, and 2)ITS OT!! i thought the law and all that OT stuff was done away with since we're in the age of grace, right??? cherry picking at its finest.

Yeah, all based off some obscure OT verse about being CURSED if you dont give your 10% which 1) was only supposed to go to a levitical priest, and 2)ITS OT!! i thought the law and all that OT stuff was done away with since we're in the age of grace, right??? cherry picking at its finest.

Exactly, either accept the OT or don't. If you do, then for the love of God, rape, torture, and murder me and my family as the bible tells you:

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

Its funny because Christians present studies that say tithers manage their money better and do so well.

I almost never did tithe because I don't trust what the churches do with the money - especially when so many of the preachers are living in expensive homes and driving luxury vehicles. So instead of tithing, I used to donate money to charities or give money to homeless people on the street (this was when I had some extra money, which I have none of these dayssad.png ).

My parents are very devout fundy Baptist, and have always given their 10% tithe, plus more for offerring, building fund, missions, etc. My father always had a well paying job, and my mother worked most of the time as well, but did take a year or two off on a couple of occassions. In 2008, my father started having some health problem, and coupled with a bad economy, resulted in losing his job in 2009. He has had no luck finding employment in his field, and is currently making about 1/8 of what he used to make. They did not save like they should have, and always carried too much debt, which resulted in losing their home after his job loss. They are now living in a small apartment and are barely getting by. I remember hearing the preacher at their church saying that you "could not afford not to tithe". He once told those that weren't tithing to try it for six months, and if they weren't better off after six months, he would give them a refund. I don't know if anyone took him up on it. I'm sure my parents have paid close to $500K in tithes in their lifetime, and if they would have saved / invested that amount, they would be in great shape. On the other hand, I haven't tithed in years, and my job and financial situation has been going better than expected. What gives? I really hate the situation that my parents are in. I know that they didn't always handled their money correctly, but it really irritates me that they've given so much money to the church, and continue to give, yet their broke. This is what the church teaches, that no matter how broke you are, you can't afford not to tithe because you will be cursed.

I found this "Tithe test" and thought about sending it to my father. It's from a christian site. Anyone ever seen this before:

http://www.freelygiv...d_Offering.html

My mother grew up on welfare as one of 5 kids. Her father left the family after all the kids were born, leaving her mom to raise them. This was during the great depression in the 1930s. Her mom flipped out and ended up in a mental institution and her aunt ended up raising the kids. One time the preacher came around insisting they should tithe to the church. I don't think anyone should tithe but poor people most definitely should not tihe. The church ought to give them money instead.

I'd always wondered why mom thought Christianity was a crock of shit. Now I know.

Hey, sorry about your situation with your parents. My question to you and your parents is, "How much has your Church given back to you for your loyalties?" I have been kicked out of two Protestant Churches for questioning their ability with money...I was a finance major in the University. The second time I was kicked out for writing a long theological letter on the hatred of Jesus Christ by the continual practice of the tithe. The tithe was an Old Testament command associated specifically with the priesthood sacrificing animals on behalf of the congregation. The sacrifice was taken specifically to Jerusalem, the people partook of their tithe portion first, and only one percent was given by the priests to the LORD (the Tithe of Tithes). So, in one quarrel with a pastor, I asked him why we no longer sacrificed animals, and then why the tithe, which consisted of vegetation and livestock for sacrifices, was a continual practice made in terms of money. I asked him, "Why should I pay you, are you sacrificing animals on my behalf?" And this is what the New Testament says, "And verily they that are of the sons of Levi who receive the office of the priesthood have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law...For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law...there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof...By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament" (Hebrews 7). This passage says that the priesthood of Levi, with their tithe command, has been changed by the new testament of Jesus Christ. The tithe is no longer relevant in animal sacrificing terms for those who believe in Jesus Christ. Rather, the New Testament has a parable about the the new tithe law and it goes like this: "as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off...And it came to pass that, as they went, they were cleansed. And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God...And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine" (Luke 17). So, in regards to the ministry of Jesus, the tithe was taught in terms of people, and not possessions...one out of ten lepers, or ten percent, glorified God. And, according to the doctrine, these are the sacrifices of spirit and truth that are acceptable to God. Furthermore, what do the pastors do for you that you cannot do for yourself? They have musicians play a song for you, and they read a book to you, and they pray for the congregation. Can you sing, read, and pray without them? I used to tithe too, but I stopped when I realized that the pastors were not doing anything that I could not do myself, and when I realized that my responsibility with making sure that my "portion" went to those in need (the only acceptable use of Church money in the New Testament...called alms) was better than the bad investments that the Church made in things God does not Biblically care about...like furniture and salaries and administration and buildings and entertainment and all the other things that Jesus Christ did not doctrinally come for. Ultimately, when a Christian tithes, that Christian professes in practice that the sacrifice of Jesus Christ was illegitimate, and that they prefer the system of the Old Testament better. Christians reject the sacrifice of Jesus Christ when they tithe.

So, your post is definitely true! Tithing is a contemporary joke.

Yeah, don't you think he could easily find money for his churches if he wanted them to have it so badly? He's got a lot more money than I do, so I figured pretty quickly that if he wanted the church to have money he could do it without my tiny pittance.

Yeah, he should be able to find all the money his Church needs in the mouth of Apostle Peter's fish.