Goodbye Jesus

Violence>>>>>>Humping. Why?

Skepticktok

Anyone watch "The Bible" on the history channel? They glorify the violence for sure and there's tons of it. CultofDusty on youtube has

a funny breakdown of it.

Guest r3alchild

That's what I was thinking too. Violence in the Bible is "rationalized" so much more then overt sexuality (Song of Solomon/Songs excluded.)

I agree

• 2 weeks later...

Sex is so scary that you'll encounter your fair share of pastors who'll try their damndest to convince you that Song of Solomon is nothing but an allegory of Jesus' pure, pure love for his corporate bride. Hilarious.

At its core, policing sex and sexuality seems to be about maintaining a position of unchallenged power for men...specifically straight white men. Controlling women's bodies, policing gender roles and performance (including getting hysterical about gay people), and demonizing or Othering the sexuality of people of color all contribute to that white-bread 1950s throwback so popular in the Christian Right today.

There's also apparently this idea going around that having sex leads to doubting your faith. I never heard this taught back in the day, but perhaps it's been more of a subconscious fear? 

Sex is so taboo in Christianity... It virtually wrecks/ruins a person's sex life and sexual self-image... If you like sex too much, there's something wrong with you... If you want to explore your sexuality as that's the sinful nature in you etc etc etc...

Christianity is the worst thing to happen to sex.  Ever.

• 2 weeks later...

America - the only country in the modern world with citizens who are more comfortable standing next to men holding guns than standing next to men holding hands...I'm sure Christian views of heterosexuality are just as clouded

• Like 1