Goodbye Jesus

Ex-Jehovah's Witness, Research On Leaving Religious Groups

Terrixjw

Hi guys,

My name is Terri, I was raised a Jehovah's Witness which I left when I was 21, 11 years ago. I am now a psychology student at The University of Kent, UK. I am conducting some research on the effects of leaving a religious group.

If the moderators here do not mind, and people would be interested in taking part, I would like to post a link to the online survey that I have created. So far about 170 ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, 20 ex-Scientologists, and 10 ex members of other religious groups have taken part in the research so far. I have had a lot of messages back from people who have said they found it to be very interesting and they felt it asked some important questions. Currently there is no academic research in the field of psychology on the topic that I am looking at, so it may very well be that if all goes well and I get enough participants that it may get published in an academic journal, and of course I will post up the results for those that are interested. It will be completely confidential, and no identifiable information will be asked like your name etc. It will only ask your age, gender and nationality. Then there will be questions about your attitudes to life currently and about your experiences while still in your former religious group.

It does not matter if you are now part of another religious group, or are not religious anymore. But if you do want to take part, it is only for those for whom their religion was a huge part of their lives, so going to church 6/7 times a year does not really count as involved in the religious group for the study that I am doing.

If people would be interested, then I would be happy to post a link to the survey which has taken people on average about 25 minutes to complete. I could send it to a few people in private messages at first if people want to go through it to test it out. I don't think there would be any problems, but the reason I mention that is that when I first posted it to the ex-Scientologists there were some problems as some of the questions did not have appropriate answers for them.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and if you have any questions about the research, or about me and the JWs then let me know!

Terri,

:-)

I would be interested.

Just posting the link would be fine, I think. smile.png

I'd be interested too.

I will move this to Ex-Christian Life, spot less busy and politicized.

03.21.2011 0930PDT

Ok that is really great guys, thanks for the interest! Here is the link:

https://kentpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eg22N7QVaoq8dTe

Some people may find that they are clicking 'no' 'no' 'no' to a lot of questions, and that is completely fine, I need those people just as much as those that go through all of the questions and find that they were affected by the issues discussed.

If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to ask!

and thank you to Nivek for moving it, I really wasn't sure where to post it!

:-)